iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel Vs. Gas engine power

Started by Night Raider, March 04, 2009, 07:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Raider

I've recently seen some small air cooled electric start diesel engines , I've wondered about using one of these on a mill.  I'm trying to figure out how the power would compare on a completely manual mill with a 10hp diesel.  I also saw a little 6hp, now I just need something that could use that engine, my generator engine is still running....
Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

I don't know about a 6 horse diesel, but diesels are noted to be good when you have to run a load for a long time at a working RPM.

Diesels are heavy engines.  They have to be to handle the compression.  They also carry a lot of flying weight (flywheel etc.) which stores a lot  of energy.  A diesel, while it has a governor, still gets over the little humps by using the potential energy stored in its flywheel.  They aren't the jack rabbit start, quick response engines that gasoline engines are, but they don't have to be.  Their weight keeps the power curve pretty flat.

Gasoline, on the other hand, is a fast response engine.  That's why they work good in race cars.  They don't swing as much mass so they depend on the quickness of the governor and ability to respond for meeting the needs of the load.

As a general rule, any application where constant RPM's and a constant power are required for long periods of time is an application for diesel engines.

Night Raider

Diesels have always seemed like a better engine for a millThe rated speeds on these diesel engines are 3600rpm which seems high for a diesel, but right inline for a drop in replacement of a gas, the 10hp weighs about 100lbs.  I know the torque is a lot higher on a diesel for the same hp compared to gas, I'm just not sure how much the torque adds on a mill.  Ideally I'd like an engine similar to a 15hp gas but I doubt a 10hp diesel would be equivilant to 15hp diesel.

ladylake

I replaced my 27 hp Kohler with a 28 hp Isuzu diesel which cuts about twice as fast. I'd want to see a smaller 10 or 15 hp diesel run before buying as some can be really loud and vibrate bad.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Raider,probibly your biggest concern should be winter startup small aircooled diesels can be little boogers to start in the cold.I had a logsplitter I built with a Hatz aircooled diesel,below freezing it was easier to use a maul.You will have to listen to it rattling away,they don't have that pleasing big watercooled diesel sound.I you have one or can get it cheap try it,if you must buy new you would likely be better off with gas.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!