iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fish Fry

Started by WV Sawmiller, October 22, 2015, 03:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Well, we just finished a fish fry here at the house. Only had 10 guests this time because several had out of town commitments so we ate inside instead of out at my picnic area. We are having such nice weather here (sunny, calm and 73 degrees today) that we are having lots of gnats, flies and yellow jackets outside. I went out about an hour ahead of time with about 5 quarts of catfish fillets/nuggets and coated them in a corn meal, flour, salt/pepper mix. I used my outdoor cooker and big pot made from half a freon bottle. Added about a gallon of corn or vegetable oil. Fired up the cooker, and made 3 batches cooking them. Cooked them till golden brown and as they got done I put them in an ice chest lined with newspaper and paper towels on top so they drained well. The cooler also keeps the heat in and kept the fish moist until served.

Becky cooked a pot of cheese grits, made some cabbage and onion cole slaw, and baked a deep dish pear pie. The folks who came brought side dishes with included some really good grape salad, baked beans, potato salad, a coconut and pineapple cake, etc. It was all good and we had a fine meal and several people took take away plates home with them. I go to our local grocery deli and get hinged, covered take-out plates and have them available when I have a cookout. People can take away another meal for supper or their spouse if they could not attend, etc. This works real well. I think when we were done there were 2 small pieces of fish left so that was good. Everybody had plenty but we did not waste any.

This is the second fish fry we have had here at the house this year for this group of retired teachers who were counterparts of Becky when she taught at our local school. We always have a great time when we do this.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

gspren

Now that sounds good, you got room for a retired machinist that was also a substitute high school teacher?  ;D
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

69bronco

WV Sawmiller

gspren,

Let me know the next time you are passing through southern WV and I will  be glad to put on a FF (that's fish fry not Forestry Forum) for you.

Not sure if you call it pie or cobbler.

1 cup milk, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup Self Rising flower, 1 quart of canned fruit (any kind works) and bake at 325-350 till the crust pulls away from the pan. Best if cooked in a deep dish cast iron pot but glass works well too. Serve warm with ice cream and it is even better.

If more people just use above ratio and works fine. We've used up to 5 quarts of blackberries in a 4" deep, oval cast iron roaster for big groups.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Grizzly

Pie......cobbler.....I don't care what you call it. I'll line up for a sample. But then WV is a couple of days travel..........alas.

Oh yeah, the fish fry. I'd line up for that too but the pears............
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Thank You Sponsors!