iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coffee table

Started by iffy, March 08, 2016, 10:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iffy

Made this coffee table and donated it to our legion auxiliary for their raffle. Top is 2" hackberry, legs are juniper, & rails are lodgepole pine. Bottom rails have a3/4" rabbet for 1x hackberry. Finish is water base urethane.

CHARLIE

Excellent! I like everything about it. The design and the wood. You did a fine job.  That should bring in some money.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Magicman

That is a very clever design.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

iffy

I saw something similar online & adapted it for my use. Got a few hours in it.

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

mesquite buckeye

I like it. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

LeeB

I've never used water based finish because I tend to like the coloring an oil finish gives, but in this case with the choice of woods I think you made an excellent choice. Very nice.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Now that is a fine table, Sir.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

iffy

Thank y'all. I specifically chose water based because of the contrast in woods. Fitting the top was problematic. I drawknifed the top inner side if each leg to a 4 ½" contour so I could use that size hole saw to make the pockets in the top. The only attachment of top to frame is a single countersunk lag screw through each leg. In order to get the top to fit the contour of the horizontal log I assembled the frame first, turned everything upside down & traced around each leg and the inner side of each log rail. Used a hole saw from the bottom side to saw the pockets, then drew a line on the top 7/8" further out than the line on the bottom and to the same contour (ie, parallel). Set a skilsaw to 45° and 1" deep and cut the topside to the line contour. Set it back to 90° and cut the bottom side to the line. The 7/8" overhang @ 45° allows the top to hug the log contour without being fastened to the log.

iffy

That was a little wordy and hard to follow. Here is what the practice piece looked like.

kettlekorn

Great workmanship.  Some raffle winner will be very pleased.  Good job.
EZ Boardwalk Jr , Kubota L3800,  250 acre farm

21incher

That is a great looking table. Thanks for sharing how it was built. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Thank You Sponsors!