iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Makita beam saw blade selection

Started by DPatton, July 18, 2016, 12:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPatton

I have an older 16 5/16" Makita beam saw with a plain (non carbide) steel blade that was on it when I purchased the saw used some time ago. I tried cutting some ash with it a few days ago and the blade was obviously dull and over working the motor. I am looking to purchase a new carbide blade for it and have found several different blades on the market for this saw. I am interested in a blade that will work best for timber framing type sawing situations. I would like to hear input on blade selection from people with experience using this saw for cutting large wood timbers and timber framing type applications. 

Experienced advice is appreciated!
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

OliverH_timberF

We have three of them in the shop at work, the old gold ones. My boss has always used the makita carbide blades. But 99% of the time we are cutting dug fir. I have cut hardwood like maple and it was okay. I believe i have seen freud blades that fit the big makita it was my saw i would get that blade.

dukndog

Freud or "Diablo" blades fit the Makita. They make carbide and steel blades in both 60T and 32T. I have a 60T Diablo and it works well in oak and SYP.

Rich Miller
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

opticsguy

Just purchased the Diablo 32T blade, works great!!!
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

DPatton

I was concerned that the Diablo thin kerf blades might have a tendency to saw crooked or bind up due to the thin design of the blade and depth of cut capability of the saw. Has that not been the case for you guys using them?
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

maineframer

We have been using 60 Tooth Diablo blades for 7 or 8 years in our shop. They work  great.
David

Thank You Sponsors!