iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I think I can, I think I can!

Started by chips in my beard, March 17, 2016, 12:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chips in my beard

Greetings I had asked questions back in august about sawmills... Then my health took a turn for the not so good.
So after months of waiting I am on new medication and a ticking clock to get things done.

My Sawmill could be here tomorrow!
I purchased a Woodland Mills hm126 with 2 extensions and 10 blades.
I have a Makita Chain Mortiser in the box waiting to be put to use.
Along with all my other tools I been collecting. Not to mention a fully loaded woodworking shop with CNC machine (should be great for making pattern templates and maybe some designs in the Knee Braces).

Now a little back story, I am a woodworker and have been for the last 4 years. Which has increased my strength and mobility. However my medication quit working last July since then I have been pretty much house bound. I started New Medication in January and I am under the Belief it will work. How ever most people who have been on it say that it only worked for a few months. I will have to wait 1-2 years before another drug might be possible for me to try (my arthritis might be too far advanced afterwards). I have Ankylosing Spondylitis which means fusing of the spine. At 28 years old I have been dealing with this for over 20 years now. I have multiple bulged discs, worn knees and hips (all 4 of which i was told would need to be replaced before 30). I really should not be thinking about Timber Framing, but I am. I don't know how long I have to get things done and I don't want to look back and wish I had ( I might have months and I might have years its unknown). Money is something I don't have a lot of. So I am going to try and do as much in house as possible. Luckily my brother farms so I have huge access to lumber, tractors with loaders, Post hole auger and even a backhoe attachment.

The plan.
24x24(12-14 ceiling height) ft addition on to the front of my 24x26x8 stick built shop that is on a slab. The addition will have either cement or pressure treated pillars as the ground slopes away from the front of the shop.  This could be as much as 36 inch drop in elevation. My plan is to remove some of the dirt in-front of the slab and brace with pt 2xs and posts so that I can have a level transition from wood to cement floor. I would like the new floor to be wood as it is much easier on my joints and on tools.  Heat will be provided by radiant floor tubing as this helps my mobility. I already have a boiler capable of heating 2500 sqft. I would like to have a second story as an office  and what ever room. The roof line would follow the direction of the current shop in a NS direction I am undecided on gable or Gambrel. I would like the Gambrel but need to do more reading on the subject. The south side I would like several windows (what ever I find/like at the reuse center or other sources). Insulation I am planning on using SIP offcuts these are sold as lower costs and the colors might not match. I would like to cover them up with board and batten on the outside and likely shiplap boards on the inside or plywood.

Wood to be used will likely be Spruce and possibly Pine. Brother suggested the local poplar but from what i read its likely a no no (we call it poplar but most of it is I believe quaking aspen).  Our snow Load is just under 40 psf. I feel like there should be a design already like what I am looking at building but so far I been unable to find one.

I have 3 books
How to build a timber framed house by Sobon
Building the Timber Frame House by Benson and Gruber
A masters guide to timber Framing by James Mitchell

I thank you all for reading this, for any and all input whether positive or negative. I am eager to learn and grateful for the wisdom.

I have a lot of work ahead of me, right now I am learning about loads so I can figure out the beam requirements for this building.

I am actively reading the forum trying to gain as much knowledge as possible.

Magicman

You are steadily progressing to; I thought I could, I thought I could.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Khaameleon

First, welcome to the forum, and good luck with your project!

Hopefully your medical situation will hold out long enough to allow you see it through. It sounds like you've got a lot of new toys and can't wait to put them to work. I know that feeling.  ;D

If I've learned anything thus far, its that with timber framing you really need to plan well to be successful. If you're a woodworker of any experience, you can probably understand and appreciate that concept. I think I'm on revision 200 of my garage frame plan at this point. Spring is nearly here and I hoped to be further along, which is frustrating. Keep your end goal in mind though. Think about the structure you're building, how long you expect it to last, and the complexity involved. My mantra lately has been the 6 P's, "Prior Planning Prevents P*** Poor Performance". Time is always a constraint, but don't rush.

If you plan on designing your own frame, there are some other books and tools I'd recommend:

• Steve Chappell's book "A Timber Framer's Workshop". He includes all the information you'll need to figure loads for a building as you've described, and so much more.

• There are books and other publications available from the Timber Framers Guild, which I've also found to be crucial. Among these are the Timber Frame Joinery and Design Workbook Vol 1. (aka the red book) and Volume 2 (aka the green book).

• Sketchup is a great tool and free to use. Clark Bremer wrote the TF Ruby extensions for Sketchup, which are free to download. He also wrote a short guide on how to use them, which is available through the Guild. Reading and understanding how these work will save you many, many hours of time during your design work. These extensions, used correctly, can change Sketchup from a handy mock-up tool to a more fully featured design tool capable of creating fully dimensioned shop drawings.

In case it's not already apparent, I've found the TF Guild to be a phenomenal resource and I recommend joining.
"When we build, let us think that we build forever." -John Ruskin

chips in my beard

Thank you for the Comments. I will look more into the timber framing Guild before i decide about the membership fee.
I have a friend who is a engineer he says he can help me figure out some of these things but he can not stamp them.
I been looking online for what it would cost to have a engineer go over the plans. Is $1200 + the norm. This is a pretty simple building in my opinion (just a shell no interior walls) except for the little addition on the front.  24ftx24ft seems like one should be able to find plans rather easily.  I did find this http://www.jacksonhill.ca/Frames.html the top carriage house I would be quite happy with building. Just waiting on a reply email.

Here is the rough to help me visualized what I intent to build. I am undecided about the front addition whether it will be enclosed or used as a covered loading/unloading dock.
The idea is to have the second floor as an office and a place for displaying and photographing my work.
The main floor will house most of the  heavy equipment. for now this is a tablesaw but I hope to add a larger planer and jointer to the mix and who knows what else. again this will be tied into my existing shop so the back right corner will be open to pass though from one building into the next.

Thank You Sponsors!