iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what's the best saw for milling?

Started by Captony, December 15, 2015, 08:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captony

Hi to all, I have taken an interest in milling my own lumber to make furniture and table tops. Unfortunately, I lost a beautiful pecan tree and I would like to mill it instead of turning it into firewood.
I have been considering the purchase of the Alaskan 111 sawmill. However, I'm due for a chainsaw upgrade to handle the project. Can I get a few opinions from the board of what type of saw i should consider to purchace. I was thinking about the Stihl 880 or the 660. What do you all think??

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Captony.  Adding your location to your profile helps with questions. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DDobbs

Welcome aboard.

If you have the extra money there is one clear choice.
The 880 .

Dave
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

cbla

first thing to ask is how much milling are u going to do? is the saw going to be used for other work? I run a 390xp on a 36inch Alaskan mill and it is enough to suit my needs. I also use that saw for stumping bigger trees and that's it.  in my opinion its too big for regular bucking and felling here in NS. I have a friend that runs a 880 on a mill and it is clearly ahead of  the 390xp for milling. For Milling bigger trees you will need a big saw that is costly.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Captony!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

If you're thinking about a bar longer than 36" probably the 880. Both for power and bar selection.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Arkyrick

Pretty much in the chainsaw business more money means better quality. Stihl is my favorite My friend works for a national tree removal company all they use is Stihl. I have had good luck with some other brands but Stihl is my favorite. smiley_clapping
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

wesdor

Welcome to the forum.  As Magicman says, filling in your location will help.

If you are looking for a reason to purchase a good chainsaw then the 880 is a good choice.  However with only 1 tree you might be better served to find a local sawyer with a mill who can turn the tree into lumber for you.  I'm guessing that you want to be a part of the process and just about any portable sawmill operator will be happy to let you participate

Good luck

mad murdock

Welcome Captony. I started with an Alaskan MkIII and still have it. I started with a 28" bar on my 372XPW, and now use a 32" bar and extende the rails on the mill for a max of 36" in case i have a big log to tackle and i switch to my 075. The Husky pretty much is full time on the Bumblebee mill now. I would get as much saw as you can afford as far as cc is concerned, and don't overlook the possibility of a good used saw, unless you are not inclined, you can save a bundle buying used.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

esteadle

I bought a Stihl 880 earlier this year. It's a very powerful saw. It's also bulky, awkward, and heavy to work with. If you buy one for milling, you will probably not use it for anything else. I bought it with a 36" bar and is was around 2000 from a dealer, no discount. A 660 would be enough saw for your needs, and would be less of a pain to run, if you wanted to do something else with it.

Another 1000 or so for a good ALASKAN III mill will cost you a total of 3000. The log you plan to mill up is probably worth less than 1000, assuming you do it perfectly, dry it well, and have 2 years to wait for it to get down to a workable moisture content. So a 3000 investment to get 1000 worth of wood, 2 years in the future seems like a waste, unless you have further justification (like more big logs coming soon).

Just my little opinion.

ERX

dboyt

It would also help to know the size of the log, whether you plan on doing more milling in the future, and what your budget is.  I assume you are going after slabs for table tops.  I've run a 3' bar on a Husqvarna 372 with no problem.  You might consider a ripping chain if you're going to do much work with it.  For a once-in-a-while situation, your best bet is to hire someone to do the cutting.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!