iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timberjack 230 or john deere 440

Started by curved-wood, October 13, 2018, 04:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curved-wood

You guys in the forum gave me a taste for forest machinery. Now I skid with a farm tractor and a winch. I want to up-grade to a small skidder. I could buy a John Deere 440 or a timberjack 230 for about the same price and the same condition. Some say the TJ is easier to repair and tune, and other say that the Deere is more fun to use in the forest. Any suggestions ? Any weakness that I have to check on those skidder?  Comments are more than appreciate

kiko

From this mechanics standpoint the Jack would be the way to go.  

Southside

Deere parts for an older 440 will be as rare as hens teeth, I would go with the Jack.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sandersen

230 all the way.  Easier to work on.  Easier to get parts.  Easier
to get on and off.  Way more stable.  And just so very cool lookin!  
"Make every step count."

dsroten

I'm gonna be the odd guy here.  I have an old 540a.  No issues with parts for me (yet).  All our farm equipment is deere and for the most part I can source deere parts.  It's a stout thing too.  It is tippy, so that's a strike.  I looked at a couple other skidders but I'm not a Detroit fan.  Too noisy,  have to run em wide open all the time.  

Satamax

Quote from: sandersen on October 13, 2018, 10:19:14 PM
230 all the way.  Easier to work on.  Easier to get parts.  Easier
to get on and off.  Way more stable.  And just so very cool lookin!  
I have to disagree on one point. The old 440 looks so much better.  ;D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

BargeMonkey

Certain parts for "D-series" Deere skidders are getting rare, yeah the parts are out there for the "A-B" vintage stuff but they aren't cheap, certain trans parts bring big money. Price a new band for a 3325 from Deere, make sure your sitting down. You can buy a "C" 440 for 1/2 of a "D", saw a clean nice "C" for sale the other day for 10k bucks with minor issues. The nice thing with the Jack is the parts are around, easier to get into, more stable machine with the right rubber. Both brands have good and bad, all depends how much you plan to use it and if you can find a deal on a machine that's not thrashed. 

curved-wood

Thank's for the rapid and usefull answers. The deal might be tomorow! I have a steep hill with a creek at the bottom that makes me loose a lot of time in winter time with my tractor even equip with chains. The rest of the trails are fairly stable.  So it seems that the TJ is a better choice ?

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

curved-wood

Skeans1

I prefer a Deere having the ability to unlock the axles when turning is nice.

barbender

A TJ without a Detroit would get my vote.
Too many irons in the fire

curved-wood

Why not with a Detroit motor ? I've heard that they are noisy. Any other frequent problem ?

barbender

Noise and the power curve. They make power at higher rpms, with a manual transmission it gets a little tedious. Other than that, they are good engines and easy on fuel.
Too many irons in the fire

dsroten

Quote from: barbender on October 14, 2018, 01:48:37 PM
Noise and the power curve. They make power at higher rpms, with a manual transmission it gets a little tedious. Other than that, they are good engines and easy on fuel.
This right here.  I have an old wheel loader in my salvage yard that had 6v53 in it.  It wouldn't even raise the loader empty without throttling it up.  No low end torque.  

Maine logger88

Quote from: curved-wood on October 14, 2018, 11:36:56 AM
Quote from: Maine logger88 on October 14, 2018, 10:12:51 AM
Quote from: curved-wood on October 14, 2018, 01:23:57 AM
 So it seems that the TJ is a better choice ?
Yes!

So what exactly that you like about the TJ
Easy on and off parts availability and parts are cheaper. The Detroit's are noisy but they are pretty good on fuel and are reliable.

Skeans1

How available are Detroit parts still? Say an injection pump?

Maine logger88

Anything you need for a 3 or 453 is available. The fuel pump is available there is no injection pump tho cause they use unit injectors 

mike_belben

RCS diesel service in ludlow MA still rebuilds em all the time. Theyll mail parts out too.
Praise The Lord

Bert

Id go with the TJ too. Nice no frills machine that can do a ton of work without a bunch of issues.
Saw you tomorrow!

Maine logger88

I will also say there is nothing wrong with a Deere skidder I still have 1 and it's been good to me but I mostly run my timberjacks now. Just given a choice between the two I would go with the tj! 

redneck

Timberjack  easy to get on and off if working alone
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

mike_belben

Thetes a pretty decent looking 440 on nashville CL for $6k
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Quote from: mike_belben on October 18, 2018, 09:29:53 AM
Thetes a pretty decent looking 440 on nashville CL for $6k
And one in a far sorryer state in France. Well, actually, there's two for parts at the moment. :D 

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

mike_belben

You dont think that'll buff out? Hmm. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!