iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spencer logger tape tensioning

Started by Dawarner, April 02, 2014, 12:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dawarner

I'm a new user to the forum but have used Spencer tapes for thirty years. I have replaced nearly every part at one time or other and have 3 now. One won't tighten. The spring is secure and unbroken. Any ideas? Is the hub worn out?

Grandedog

Howdy,
   Check to see if the spool is bent, and bound against the case.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

enigmaT120

I have one I got cheap, empty, with  a refill.  I couldn't get it to work right either.  I finally realized I was putting a 75 foot refill into a 50 foot tape.  No biggie, as I want one with the diameter on the other side anyway.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Jhenderson

Could be the planetary gears behind the backing plate. Years ago they were brass, now they ar plastic and strip if run the tape out till the spring is bound tight.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Dawarner. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dawarner

Thanks for the input. I've concluded the hub center is worn out and since that comes with the spring assembly I'll try replacing the works. Looking at other old parts, this one shows more hub wear. Gee, after getting that baby back in its half shell, I'd like to have used it!

Jeff

Grandedog, is that something you guys carry parts for? Or can get?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Grandedog

Howdy,
   We don't stock any parts for them but, we can access them. Here's a .pdf that will give you part numbers. Unfortunately, in most cases the cost of parts and shipping makes repairs unfeasible as compared to replacing the unit. Depending on what you need, Bailey's has some parts in stock. I did see some other online sources that have inventory but, they're not sponsors.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

Dawarner

I'm often tempted to repair instead of replace even though it may not always make $ sense. I do the same with paint guns. I can usually repair a tape faily easily with just a small screwdriver or leatherman tool. They usually give warning except from kinking the tape, allowing repairs in the evening. I've put on replacement ends several times and bought the little rivet tool. The spring is the hateful part. All mine are the older ones with brass gears and they hold up well.

Thank You Sponsors!