iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4-53 shuttering and losing power?

Started by logman81, November 04, 2012, 02:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

No it didn't engauge, I was able to spin it by hand snd no noises were heard. It's not to cold yet about mid thirtys. Should I pull the cover on the wheel and look at the planitary system?
Precision Firewood & Logging

240b

Drop the oil in the pumpkin see if there is any metal.  When you pick the front end up w/ the blade and turn say the right wheel forward does the left spin backwards? I'd think if you broke a planet it would be locked up or you'd hear crunching nosies.  First check to make sure the oil level is correct before draining any. And you have power to at least one wheel when driving it?

logman81

The right front wheel spins free and the left wheel doesn't move. I am getting power to left one for sure as it skids when making a hard left turn.

240b

huh,you mean the left wheel spins like it's pulling?  Is there a flat plate on the end the planet you can remove? If so pull it off and pull out the axle. There might be a threaded hole in the end of it for a bolt so you can yank it out. See if its snapped.

logman81

Yes left wheel is getting power, yes their is a plate. I have the manual for the machine I'll see how it is built.

logman81

According to the manual both ends of the axle are splined. Not sure how hard it would be to remove axle but I'll look into getting the end plate off and go from there.

240b

The axle should pull right out, pretty easy if the planets not binding on the sun gear. yes both ends are splined
I'd still drain the oil and look for metal first.

logman81

Of I'll drain oil and see whats in it.

logman81

Ok thier is no drain plug on the axle to drain the diff oil, just a half inch pipe plug middle of the diff. I can hear a noise coming from the diff when I turn the wheel, kind of a clunk sound not a clicking sound?

240b

there has to be a way to drain the oil. open the fill plug, does oil run out? if it does its full. it least you'll know there is oil in there.  I'd pull the right axle and see what you got.  maybe broken axle probably something in the diff. if you could drain the oil and see what is in it (bearings,pieces of cage,) you would have a better idea. take a pic of the under side of the front end..

logman81

Oil did come out the fill plug so it is full. I looked all over and couldn't find a drain plug. I think it may be broke at the end of the axle going into the no spin or the spring is broke. I'll take a pic as soon as I can. Either way it's going to have to come back home to be worked on in the shop.

240b

logman81

I know they still make off road fork lifts. As far as skidder parts probly not?

logman81

From what I know about them they were componant machines. They used parts from clark, allison,gearmatic ect.

barbender

My axles are stampe pettibone, whether they actually manufactured them or not I couldn't say. Parts are still supposed to be available through Tiffin, I hope I never need to buy any though :o
Too many irons in the fire

mad murdock

Do you have Clark or Rockwell planetarys? They should be outers which are fairly easy to work on wherever the machine sits. Back in the day we snapped a axel shaft on our Franklin 132 forwarder, it was middle of winter and the skidde was about 150 yds from the logging road, we fixed it where it sat. IIRC we just had to pull the planetary cover and slip out the broken bits, clean out any shards of steel, slip in new parts, add gear oil, put cover back on and keep on skidding. Can't hurt to take the cover off just to see what's what, might not be too hard to fix w/o having to pay for a move. Good luck, you will get it going.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

logman81

My axle housings are stamped pettibone as well. I did get a parts book from them, yes you still can get some parts from them. I think the planitary may be clark, thier is mention of clark componants in the axles. Mad murdock would this process that you spec of work if the broken parts are in the diff?

mad murdock

I think it would totally depend on what was broken.  If you just want to see what is what, you pull the outer cover, slip out the axle shaft and sun gear, look the palnet gears over, and you will be able to see what is what.  On some setups there is an inner clip ring on the axle that needs to be removed, that would involve pulling the pumpkin cover off.  On our franklin the axle just slipped out with the outer cover off.  No need to go inside.  If you got a parts book, you should be able to see the breakdown, and go from there.  If the thing is buggered up, you could slip the bad axle shaft out, and finish the job taking it easy, unless the machine doesn't have enough traction to go on 2 or 3 wd.  If it was me, I would at least pull the outer cover where it sat, and see what was what before I went through the hassle of dragging it back to a shop. there is a chance of it being a fairly simple fix.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

logman81

Thanks mad murdock, I think the shaft may be broke where the splines are but not sure. I do have a parts book and it shows no clip on the end going into the diff. I have been working it the last couple days with three wheel drive and just keeping the skids small, and being carfull not to push it hard. The good news is I do have a friend with a clark 664 that is willing to bring it over to help finish the job up. This way I can truck mine home and figure whats going on.

lumberjack48

Going back to the injector problem, i have to clear this up.
When ever i bought a used machine, the first thing i did is change the oil and all the [ fillers ] and check all other oil levels.
logman81 you gave us a good lesson on this. Just because its all painted up doesn't mean the basic maintenance has been done.
In this case i assumed the fuel filters had already been changed like a few other guys. Any issues with power loss or miss fire, the first thing you change are the fuel filters, this goes back a 100 yrs.
When i changed oil i also changed the primary fuel filter. [Every 100 hrs]

Have you pulled the hub off yet ? If its a broken axle and hasn't hurt anything else, easy fix. I've even seen guys weld them back together. I personally wouldn't keep on driving it. Pull it apart there to see whats going on in there.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

logman81

The very first thing I did was change the oil and oil filter and topped off all other fluids. The one thing I over looked was fuel filters, that was my prolem. It runs very good now no roll in idle and good power and no ticking noise. I have not pulled the cover yet as the job is finished and I will hauling it home to do the repair where I have heat and tools to fix it.

lumberjack48

I believe i learned one thing, i think the ticking was a injector collapsing because of no fuel pressure. I have never had that happen.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

logman81

logman81

So I may have a new home for the  pettibone, got a call from a guy in NY and is supose to be coming to look at it fingers crossed! I want to thank all of you that have helped me out fixing the old girl up it's been fun. I havn't fixed the axle yet guy is willing to test it like it is on the job before I fix it. Maybe I wont have to fix it, my price is firm weather I fix it or he does.

Thank You Sponsors!