iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

future benches

Started by Dave H., July 06, 2016, 11:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave H.

cut up a good sized lightning killed syp. cut it to 7ft,6ft and 5ft lengths,then slabbed.mostly 5/4,6/4 and 8/4 and one 3".

3" and a 8/4 on the mill.

7fters and 5 fters.

some 6fters.

skinny 7fter,cut from a piece of the top.

Czech_Made

fishfighter

I have 6 benches to build for people out of SYP. I had sawed them 6/4. Just letting them dry some. The ones I build look like this.

I did stain and painted 6 coats of varnish.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

E fan

Just curious if you could show a few of the underside ( how you put the legs and rail in ) Please Thank you

fishfighter

Everything, legs, braces and the bottom brace are cut at 15 degree angle. I used glue and 3" screws. I screwed the under braces first. Then screw the legs to the under braces. Then I screwed the cross brace thru the sides of the legs. The under braces are live edge too.

Hope that helps.

Weekend_Sawyer

what finish did you use on that one?

Very nice work by the way!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

fishfighter

Ebony and spar varnish. To help show the wood grain, I very lite sanded the seating before varnishing.

Oh, the live edge takes on a very dark color which brings it out good. ;D

OffGrid973

Love the design...How much shake do you get or are they very sturdy?
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

fishfighter

No shake at all. Very sturdy.

bkaimwood

bk

fishfighter

To build these, I had sawed my slabs 10'6" long. That gave me way more then enough for the legs. The logs that  use are second cuttings or third. Really can't make good framing lumber out of, so that was trash to start with. ;D For the bottom brace, I first take a cutting off the log to expose a slab top of 6-8" wide. Flip and repeat. Then a pull slabs out for the seating.

I could save the lumber for 1 bys, but a bunch of knots would be in it.

clintnelms

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you typically sell them for?

fishfighter

$100, unfinished. :D I have orders for 6 now. Have the slabs cut, just waiting for them to dry a bit more. Besides, I have to build some for myself, which I was doing in the first place to put them around my pond till my dear wife showed some pictures to some of her friends. :D

Savannahdan

Dave H  Curious what design you make your benches and what $ you get for them (by size).
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

WV Sawmiller

Dave,

Pretty benches. From what I can see it looks like the stretcher attaches directly to the legs and do not slotted into them.

Most people are more competent carpenters than me and mine always wobbled till I got my mill and found I could turn the bench upside down, put a spacer on the left side to center the bench, and set my blade guides wider then the max distance between my legs and cut them all off at 17". They now all come out level even using 4 rough post legs in half sawed logs and bored into thick slabs.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

clintnelms

Quote from: fishfighter on July 08, 2016, 06:21:51 AM
$100, unfinished. :D I have orders for 6 now. Have the slabs cut, just waiting for them to dry a bit more. Besides, I have to build some for myself, which I was doing in the first place to put them around my pond till my dear wife showed some pictures to some of her friends. :D

That's kind of what I figured I'd charge if I made some like that. Might have to give it a shot and see if I can sell some. What percentage are you drying them to before building?

fishfighter

Around 20%. Would like to go lower, but people wants are out weighting the wait. ;D I am in Louisiana and pine dries very fast.

clintnelms

Yeah I'm in Southwest Georgia myself.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ohio_Bill

I make several of these benches each year and give them to non- profits for fund raisers.

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

OffGrid973

Took a semi warped piece of cherry to test out the design and I think it's going to work for me.  Small step benches or even larger bench for the garden if the slab is wide and long enough.  Getting the edges square is a trick and then cutting the 15 without natural edge slipping a little is tricky against the fence.

Thanks for the idea.

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

fishfighter

Looks good. Best way to get things squared is to measure from the center of the slab on the widest end, then square off the towards the outer ends with a framing square. I had cut everything with a circle saw.

Ohio_Bill

You may already be doing this, but one way to get the legs perfect is to leave them long and put the finished bench on the mill upside down. Rise up to the desired height "for me its 18 inch" and cut them off. Works great.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

clintnelms

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on July 09, 2016, 08:04:05 AM
You may already be doing this, but one way to get the legs perfect is to leave them long and put the finished bench on the mill upside down. Rise up to the desired height "for me its 18 inch" and cut them off. Works great.

Good idea!

Thank You Sponsors!