iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw Shed Upgrade

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, July 07, 2016, 07:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

For over 5 years my opening to load logs was only 13-6. When longer log jobs came in, I pulled the mill out to saw. This year for some reason a lot of 16 and 20 foot jobs are coming in.

Well enough is enough! Packing the mill up and setting it up 80 yards away was one thing but the HOT summer South Carolina sunshine beating down on you is where I draw the line this year.

This is the opening 3 days ago.

Me and Kirk got the chainsaw, sawed the opening from 13-6 to 22 foot. We took out the existing poles and added square poles.

One new square pole is a 6x6 Cedar and the other square pole is a telephone pole.
In this picture you can see where I sawed into the wrong place with the chainsaw and added a Cedar spacer to fill the void.  ::)

On the bottom of each post I painted on 4 coats of Anchor Seal. I don't know if will help or not but hopefully it will reduce the moisture vs. wood in the ground.

Now its starting to take shape.

I'm pleased with the upgrade to a wider opening.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ga Mtn Man

'bout time!  Nice save on the post.  Did you add a header?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

stanwelch

Nice job, David. It looks great  8)
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on July 07, 2016, 07:29:49 PM
'bout time!  Nice save on the post.  Did you add a header?

Already there.  :)

bkaimwood

Sweet!!! My opening lane is 16'...I get 16'6" through it by weaving...it's a pita... I drop 20's on the ground and push them in...not pretty, but it works...I'm due for a change myself...time rules everything, I guess....
bk

WDH

Good to see that you fixed the siding.  I was thinking for a bit there that the Cobbler's children had no shoes (old saying).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 07, 2016, 09:22:52 PM
Good to see that you fixed the siding.  I was thinking for a bit there that the Cobbler's children had no shoes (old saying).

OMG!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

larrydown60

Nice improvement looks great

rjwoelk

Be nice to Poston he was thinking. He thought and thought and got it done. 8)
Great Job be a whole lot nicer cutting.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Savannahdan

Now you need to make a sign to go over the doorway.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Peter Drouin

Nice, But a ceder spacer, :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red

Now the famous power box and fan is not needed with all that air flow
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red on July 08, 2016, 07:19:41 AM
Now the famous power box and fan is not needed with all that air flow

:D

WDH

It is a POWER BOX and FAN.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Dave,

I am sure there is a Rock Hill Historical Society somewhere whose members will be paying you a visit in the near future using these photos someone surreptitiously provided them to file a complaint about a stately old structure in their area being modified just to provide a modicum of creature comfort to the owner and his helpers. Once their investigation is complete you will no doubt be directed to restore the structure to its original magnificent appearance using authentic materials from the period.

Good luck and enjoy the update (while it lasts).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

red

He is the Rock Historic . . . . Authority
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Czech_Made

POSTON WIDEHEAD

YellowHammer

I don't know, that opening looks suspicious.....kind of looks like it was widened with a 21 foot long log and forklift?? :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: YellowHammer on July 08, 2016, 04:54:56 PM
I don't know, that opening looks suspicious.....kind of looks like it was widened with a 21 foot long log and forklift?? :D

and I got a running start! "Hey Y'all watch this"..... :D :D :D

fishpharmer

David, looks good! Now your wide open for business.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

OneWithWood

David, you are so much smarter than me.  I would've built a whole new barn just to get the 21' opening....not really  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tree Dan

Great job on that opening, you must be happy staying in the shade.
Its hitting 90 up north here this week, I dont know how you guys handle this heat all the time.
I guess shade is the key.
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Magicman

He has shade but he also has dat FAN.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tree Dan

Quote from: Magicman on July 13, 2016, 08:24:18 AM
He has shade but he also has dat FAN.   :D

Hahaa, I havent seen Dat Fan, but Im guessing its BIG ;D

I like how Postons shed is open at the other side as well...to let the breeze come through.

If building a new shed would the North East side be the best for the oppening?
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Thank You Sponsors!