iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Euro Blocks"

Started by hackberry jake, June 18, 2015, 01:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Do any of you guys use "euro blocks" or "indexable insert" cutter heads on the shaper? It seems like an inexpensive way to add profiles to your shaper collection. I'm sure the blades won't last near as long as a brazed carbide cutter, but for short runs? The cutterhead is about $120 and each set of knives is around $18.
I have some cedar that needs that needs to be v-paneling. Just enough for a closet. I could see something like this coming in handy in the future as well.
Maybe the knives could be sharpened with a flat surface and a piece of fine sandpaper?

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

GAmillworker

I use them all the time and usually pay for solid carbide knives as they last much longer.  however for short runs less than a thousand feet high speed steel is great.
Thank the Lord for second chances

Just Me

I have one, and although it is of limited use on occasion I can get an odd profile out of it that saves me from buying a cutter. It would be of a lot more use if I had a profile grinder.

GA' where are you buying carbide? All I have seen is HSS.

GAmillworker

Nap Gladu here in GA

toolstoday is an Internet site that has a lot of profiles as well.
Thank the Lord for second chances

johnnyllama

I have the same setup and use it for a number of the profiles. As was said, the hss knives dull fairly quickly but I'll have to check out the carbide. I believe you can order custm profiles from either W.Moore or Owella saw and tool.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

hackberry jake

@Larry is the one who told me about these cutter heads, so I blame him. I ordered an aluminum head from CMT and a steel head from Amana. The steel head is heavier of course and it is also thinner. The CMT head has protrusions on either side of the bore. They say the aluminum head is better for smaller shapers because it's easier to spin up to speed. The CMT also came with a handy Case that also stores 12 sets of knives. I got a rail/stile set, a straight set, a radius/concave set, a panel raiser/back cutter set, and a v-paneling set. The matching v-panel knives were back ordered and haven't came in yet. They sell kits that come with knives, but it looked like I wouldn't use half of the profiles in the set. the knife sets ended up being around $14 through amazon.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Larry

Don't blame me...I just wanted to trick you into buying a new set with all the profiles.  Never can tell when I may need to borrow it. :D :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Andries

Quote from: Larry on June 23, 2015, 05:11:23 PM
Don't blame me...I just wanted to trick you into buying a new set with all the profiles.  Never can tell when I may need to borrow it. :D :D :D
The same games go on between my brother and I - and my son is starting to get in on it too.
Arkansas or Manitoba: same all over!    :D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!