iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turkeys

Started by WV Sawmiller, March 01, 2018, 06:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

Did you say "Turkeys?"

burtle

Seen 30 or so yesterday afternoon around 4pm right after an all day rain.

I checked my trail cameras on public ground. I had 5-6 walking around in the afternoons.

I'm ready to go!

April 9th-13th. (First season here in Illinois)

Southern Illinois, near Mt. Vernon, Il.
Never Give Up

WV Sawmiller

Just had a handful of hens come down with at least one big gobbler in the group. He was strutting from time to time and had a beard dragging the ground when he walked.

That's the big guys beard touching the ground.

Strutting again. My wife can't remember the term strut and always says "He fuzzed out."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

Oh yeah, one other thing my wife noted and I noted it again today - we have a big fox squirrel who tags along with the flock of turkeys. Evidently they are scratching up something he likes too. It is happening too often to be an accident. He is deliberately hanging out with them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

That old squirrel has learned a trick.  I regularly see deer and turkeys together.  Maybe they both know where the good food source (acorns) are or one is uncovering for the other?  Maybe it is the security of more eyes watching for danger?  Maybe they all grew up together and are friends?  I have watched both sorta playfully chase the other.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Autocar

Fuzzed out ! :D :D :D That works for me, I am ready also just a few more weeks
Bill

Magicman

I had a Daughter with me turkey hunting and she said, "that one is pumped up".  :o  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

We saw neat animal associations in Africa. Impala liked to hang out with Baboons who were among the most alert animals out there. Very hard to sneak up on a troop of baboons. Old bulls of different species who had been kicked out of the herd would hang out together. Common to see an old bull elephant with old bull rhino and old bull giraffe and a old bull cape buffalo. Companionship and safety for all and no competing for same foods in most cases. I saw an old bull Blue Wildebeest hanging out with 50-60 impala fawns on a trip to Kruger Nat'l Park in S. Africa. I nicknamed him Uncle Remus.

A little off topic but I became less opposed to trophy hunting there. Not for me but very wealthy hunters come over from Europe and USA and such and would spend tons of money to go shoot a big old lion or cape buffalo or elephant or such. Hundreds of thousands of dollars would be spent into the local economy for a single animal. The trophies these guys wanted were typically already past their prime and no longer part of the breeding population anyway. They were neat for tourists like me to see and photograph but they were not going to add to the future population of their species. Younger, stronger herd bulls had already kicked them out and were maintaining the various animal harems. JMHO.
Howard Green

Chuck White

Turkeys are strutting in the snow covered fields in this area, and have been heard gobbling in the woods now for a couple of weeks!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

I was gone most all day yesterday and Becky said the hens came down and she looked up and saw 3 big gobblers in full strut prance all the way down the hillside to join the ladies. They had beards that looked like paintbrushes. She took several pictures for her files and such. In a couple you can see the bright red head on him as he was really excited.
Howard Green

SwampDonkey

My brother sees a few up in the trees once in awhile. Roosting like chickens. ;D I have not laid eyes on one for weeks, just not lucky. ;)

I've been observing the robins returning to the north.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

We have had plenty of robins last few weeks. Ground is so wet the worms are drowning and all the birds are feasting. I took ATV up with a bale of hay and spotted a couple of squirrels and one chipmunk in the field then saw a big gobbler inside the fence running the fence line. He ran back and forth several times before he finally flew. I may have to start taking a gun with me when our season opens next month.
Howard Green

Logger RK

We have been seeing Turkeys for a few years now. Being from N/W Wisconsin it's a new thing. I'm 57 & never seen any years ago. But we did have some mild winters lately.

SwampDonkey

Ones we get here were introduced into Maine. We never had turkey here before. Old guides would have written about them. All they mentioned here was bear, moose, caribou, grouse and salmon. Not even white tail deer here before 1910 or later. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ken

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 03, 2018, 11:51:39 AM
Ones we get here were introduced into Maine. We never had turkey here before. Old guides would have written about them. All they mentioned here was bear, moose, caribou, grouse and salmon. Not even white tail deer here before 1910 or later. ;D
Swampdonkey although I have seen several turkeys when travelling or working in your area over the past few years I had not seen any in this region until just the other day.  There was 5 just down the road from my place.  They seem to be expanding there range every year.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

WV Sawmiller

Our spring season starts tomorrow but weather report is for rain so I don't think I will chase them till Tuesday.

I did find a pile of feathers beside a cherry log I was moving to the mill in the pasture yesterday. Some bird did not have a good day! They looked like guinea feathers and I I first thought was a turkey chick but it is too early for young ones yet this year. It might have been a grouse but I don't see many of them here. I assume a fox or more likely a coyote or bobcat caught it. More likely a hawk. We found a more complete skeleton last year when my 10 y/o gd and i were looking for fawns and box turtles. The head was still there so i assume hawk.
Howard Green

thecfarm

I forgot when Maine introduced the turkeys. They did better than the caribou. I saw the turkeys for years about 45 minutes from me. Took them a long time to get to me. Went for a pizza one day and saw them about 15 minutes from me. The next year they was on my land.
My Dad said there was no gray squirrels here when he was growing up. Always seemed odd to hear him say that,but the turkeys are the same way. No turkeys here until about 2005?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!