iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unique Canadian food traditions

Started by sawguy21, December 26, 2018, 12:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

lil171

Not exactly traditional foods, but..... We have Ketchup Chips, but, the US has Reeses Pieces....

sawguy21

Do you not see Reese's Pieces? They are very popular here, I try to stay away from them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gspren

I believe the various food traditions are more regional than Canada-U.S., there are food traditions that vary from my home town to my wife's home town and they are only 30 miles apart.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

jimbarry

Eatmore bars... Americans don't know what they're missin' :) 

More uniquely east coast Canadian, is the donair.  A spicy meat, shaved and served on flat bread (pita wrap, aka soft taco shell) with a sweet white sauce that is flavoured with garlic. Along with options like onion, lettuce and tomato.  A few restaurants sell the meal, but we make our own.

More current, a twist on the poutine dish out of Quebec, us east coasters serve up donairtine (pronounced doh-nair-teen).

Recipe is on my web site if anyone is interested.

sawguy21

The donair 8) They are not uniquely Canadian but boy are they good. Interesting that Eat More bars, molasses and peanuts, are not sold stateside and neither is Coffee Crisp which is one of the few candy bars I like.

Southside

Tim Hortons!!!  But a few have crept into Maine.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

lil171

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 28, 2018, 01:14:04 PM
Do you not see Reese's Pieces? They are very popular here, I try to stay away from them.
Honestly, I have not looked for them for a while. I am not much of a sweets person, let alone peanut and peanut butter, so have not noticed. Now tomorrow I will be looking.....

rubberfish

We have the Kinder Egg. We win.  8)
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

K-Guy

Being that I live in the US now, one thing I miss in many restaurants is being able to get gravy for my french fries.In Canada it's normal but here only along the border.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

GeorgeFindlay

A traditional Canadian dish served during Christmas is, Tourtiere. This is truly a 'comfort food' on any cold winter's eve.

Tourtiere is 'French Canadian' meat pie composed of a 50/50 mixture of ground beef and ground pork cooked up in bacon fat with diced onion and an array of spices.

If you enjoy horseradish as a condiment, try it on tourtiere....Angel food!!!!!!!!!

"Storms Never Last"

Skip

WE do a lot of fries and gravy down my way . :)

Magicman

I love gravy on my fries and I am 'bout as far from the "Northern" border as you can get.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I couldn't discern one food for one country since the family is a mix of folks from both sides of the line. They eat what we eat. I couldn't come up with anything that stands out. Heck them Mainers like our Crosby molasses and King Cole tea, but we have to go to Maine to get molasses donuts made in New Brunswick. You can't buy a molasses donut in New Brunswick. But in our kitchens we made them, so there is nothing unique there. :D We both like soldier and yellow eye beans, those white beans in cans from the big canneries (Busch, Heinz and the like) ain't nothing we ate in a New Brunswick or Maine home. Next weekend I'm having my fill down in Patten, Maine as they cook them in pots placed in hot wood coals (bean hole beans) at the lumbermen's museum. They will be soldier beans, anyone want to bet otherwise? ;) I'm having my biscuit cooked on reflector ovens on the fire and molasses cake to. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

K-Guy

Being that my family background is also mennonite, I miss my mom's Hühnersuppe.
@rjwoelk  will understand. That is a German/Dutch chicken soup and other old country foods.

No my mom isn't gone but she's in BC and I'm in Maine.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

sawguy21

;D My landlady is Mennonite, occasionally I get a treat left by the door. Sticky buns are my favorite but it's all good.

rjwoelk

Yes all that good Mennonite food, Rolkucken and water melon.  We never went hungry.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Elmlodger

I saw this thread and wanted to add, Oreos. You might think they'd be the same but their not. Test me, set a box from the States beside your Canadian ones and the Canadian ones will win every taste test.  
Diligent hands will rule, but laziness ends in forced labor. Proverbs 12:24

Skip

American ones are made in Mexico  >:(

K-Guy

Quote from: Skip on October 02, 2019, 06:32:15 PM
American ones are made in Mexico  >:(
You can't get more American than that!! :D
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

K-Guy

@rjwoelk 

I really miss mennonite sausage. I want to make my own, do you have a good recipe for these?
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

Andries

Kguy: Mennonite sausage or Ukranian sausage? ( no, not a political comment!)
Being an Alberta ķguy - which is the best?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

K-Guy

@Andries 

I generally like all sausage except for hot ones but in this case mennonite. I was raised in a family that left the church before I was born. I love the sausage. 
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

rjwoelk

Kguy my dad used very lean pork, smoked in salt and pepper  to taste and smoked it. I have made sausage from pork and a lot from sheep. We had a lot if cull sheep every year so that is what we used.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Thank You Sponsors!