iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS361

Started by logger, September 22, 2005, 10:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logger

How is a stihl MS361 with a 18" or 16" bar.  Does it seem like a good small timber saw?  I am thinking of getting one soon. Thanks!       

By the way, I'm back, my cousin had the computer for 4 weeks. Glad to be talking to you guys again!! 8) :) ;D
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

ehp

Myself I like the 361 , it is the nicest running stihl out there right now on your hands. The only thing I find wrong with them is the muffler is just to small on the outlet, you need to open it up so the motor can breathe

SawTroll

I have a MS361W, with 18" and 15" bars. The balance of the saw is OK with the 15", just about perfect with the 18". 8) 8)
I don't know what you meen by small timber, but the saw seems perfect for the trees I fell, which is mainly 10 to 16" dbh birch. Most of them is less than 20" at the stump. :)
Information collector.

logger

Sorry, I didn't specify the small timber that I mean't.  I mean't like 16" to 18" timber and limbing.  Because I have my 440 and 460 for felling and bucking.

fishhuntcutwood

Great saw.  Like Ed said,  the muffler needs to be opened up to bring the saw into it's own.  I use mine specifically for smaller timber.  I run mine with a 24" bar and with the modded muffler with no problems with bogging or slowing down.  You can also get aftermarket full wrap and factory style wrap handlebars for them now. 

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Gilman

I have a 361C (handle brake), what does the W stand for?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

jokers

Quote from: logger on September 23, 2005, 10:00:56 AM
Sorry, I didn't specify the small timber that I mean't.  I mean't like 16" to 18" timber and limbing.  Because I have my 440 and 460 for felling and bucking.

Hey Logger, the 361 is a nice saw if you open the muffler.

Did you ever get the pics of that large timber you were speaking of before your absence here?

Russ

musher

Quote from: Gilman on September 23, 2005, 08:04:30 PM

Heated handle, I believe.  It's my understanding that the feature is more common in Europe, from where SawTroll is posting, than it is here in the US.
Mike

DanManofStihl

I had one and used it for a day I really liked the saw had good power with a sharpeneed 20 in chain on it. I like the weight of the saw it was nice and light I think it would be a great saw for firewood and small clearing applications.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

logger

Thanks for all the input on the 361.  I'm definetly going to buy one now! 

The big timber I was talking about I cut down with my 440 on that job.  I did that while my computer was down.  I'm sorry I didn't get pictures for you guys.  I guess I forgot.  I was making hay all summer too.  Got to feed them hay burning horses ;D.  thanks guys. :D :) ;D 8)

SawTroll

Quote from: musher on September 25, 2005, 01:08:48 PM
Quote from: Gilman on September 23, 2005, 08:04:30 PM

Heated handle, I believe.  It's my understanding that the feature is more common in Europe, from where SawTroll is posting, than it is here in the US.

Correct!
Information collector.

fastpat

So, in summary, a MS361 with a 20 inch bar would be good enough for felling 20-24 inch trees, or would a longer bar be better?

And, is a heated handle a good thing for winter use, even if temps are in the 30-40F range?

Pat

fishhuntcutwood

Ah fastpat, you've opened a can of worms here.  I'll give you my take on it- I run a 361 with a 24"  in timber that averages </=20"-22"  If I'm working consistently larger stuff, I'll run a 440 or 460 with a 28".  I think a 361 handles a 24" well in soft wood, but in hard wood, or in trees consistently +22" get a bigger saw with a bigger bar.  It'll be so much easier to work like that.  It is of course possible to fall a 30" tree with a 16" bar....but do you want to?

JMO.

As far as the heated handle, I see it kinda like heated seats in a Caddilac.  Do you need them?  No.  Are they nice and comfy?  Yes.  I think for temps in the 30s and 40s you'd be OK without heated handles.  Especially if you aren't using the saw full time.

And welcome to the site.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

fastpat

Thanks, Jeff.

An old Air Force buddy of mine is a Stihl dealer, so he'll sell me anything I think I need. ;D Maybe more.

I won't be doing this for a living, I just like high quality equipment.  Bob, my Stihl dealer friend, says the MS440 would be the most power I could ever, in his knowledge of me and my land, ever use, but a smaller saw like the MS361 would likely suffice for the felling.  A smaller saw, maybe a MS192 would make an excellent limbing/pruning saw.

Yes, my wife's car has heated seats which I've yet to use, but she loves them a a chilly fall morning on the way to work.  Probably a waste of money nine months out of the year.  Just curious as to who'd use them and who might have experience.  Now, when I lived in Montana long ago, I might feel differnent.

Pat

leweee

Welcome to the forum fastpat.....wouldn't be with out my heated handles in the winter here....snow ....wet gloves...vibrating handles...all the makings of frost bite with out the heated handles. ::)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Ga_Boy

Logger,

I picked up my 361 back in December, after my dealer replaced the starter module (AKA coil) it is a great cutting saw; now that I can get it started in 3 pulls. 

I run it with a 20" bar, when I need bigger I pull out the 460; with a 32" bar.  Most of the time I run a 24" bar on the 460. 

I am interested in more info on opening up the muffler on my 361.  Is this better performance as it decreases the back pressure on the engine?

Mark

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

SawTroll

Quote from: leweee on September 26, 2005, 07:16:57 PM
.....wouldn't be with out my heated handles in the winter here....snow ....wet gloves...vibrating handles...all the makings of frost bite with out the heated handles. ::)
I agree with you - I live a good bit North of the Polar Circle, and my hands have gone quite bad, probably from too much freezing when I was younger.  :(
I have them both on my Husky and my Stihl, and I use them when it is cold and/or if my gloves get wet - not only in the winter. 8)
Information collector.

fastpat

Quote from: SawTroll on September 27, 2005, 08:04:13 AM
Quote from: leweee on September 26, 2005, 07:16:57 PM
.....wouldn't be with out my heated handles in the winter here....snow ....wet gloves...vibrating handles...all the makings of frost bite with out the heated handles. ::)
I agree with you - I live a good bit North of the Polar Circle, and my hands have gone quite bad, probably from too much freesing when I was younger.  :(
I have them both on my Husky and my Stihl, and I use them when it is cold and/or if my gloves get wet - not only in the winter. 8)

When I log onto the Stihl web site, they only list the Artic option with certain saws, is it actually available on more models than they list there?

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: Ga_Boy on September 27, 2005, 07:09:49 AM

I am interested in more info on opening up the muffler on my 361.  Is this better performance as it decreases the back pressure on the engine?

Yes, the performance is significantly better.   There's several builders that can do it for you, ehp on this site.  Walkers, Dean Hylton, the list goes on.  If you do it yourself, don't go too big too fast.  You can open it up too much, loose back pressure and just make your saw louder.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

StihlDoc

When I log onto the Stihl web site, they only list the Artic option with certain saws, is it actually available on more models than they list there?

The Stihl USA website only lists models available in the U.S. Only a limited number of models with heated handles are available in the States. There is a more complete selection of models with this feature available in Canada and Europe.

SawTroll

Quote from: fastpat on September 27, 2005, 12:00:55 PM

As far as I know, the "W" models isn't quite the same as the "Arctic", as the "Arctic" doesn't only have heated handles, but heated carbs too.
Information collector.

StihlDoc

Correct, W is heated handles. The "Arctic" or WVH versions have heated handles and thermostatically controlled electrically heated carburetor.

ehp

I have had some people wanting to know what deflector I used on Ben's 361
it is a husky part number    503589901

Thank You Sponsors!