iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS361 20" max bar?

Started by lcgarage, June 07, 2004, 09:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lcgarage

Soon to purchase new saw (<$500, 20" bar, clear a few acres), will be a Stihl. In order 1st MS361(pro power/wht)
2nd MS260 (pro light weight)
3rd MS280CQS (neat features)
4th MS390 (Value)
I thought it was going to be a Husq, and a 357XP UNTIL I held both side by side with bar/ chain. This site has been a HUGE help based on experience comments and fairness to all brands (only 2 mfg's on my list, now 1).
  I am puzzled by the spec on the MS361 maximum available bar length 20" (which is also recommended bar length (20")
Seems like there should be enough in that saw to go to 24", or more. The MS390, which is less of a saw and 1/10 LESS hp claims it can go to a 28" bar. This seems strange and looking hard at the specs makes me think the 20" max on the MS361 is an error. Any idea's? Thanks for all your other comments and a great site.

DanManofStihl

My dealer said the samne thing with my stihl ms 290 the web site said it could handle a 24 inch bar but my dealer said that the saw could not handle a bar that big. Honestly I think the 361 could handle a 24 inch bar with out problems.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

incognitive

While I'm sure the MS361 is going to prove to be a very good saw, 20" really has got to be the most practical length you'll want to use on it.  The bar mount is the same as up to the MS660 and bars of 36" are available.  I've got an 036 Pro and I run a 20" bar.  I've had a 25" bar on it, and it will certainly pull that, but for more than very occasional use of a bar that size you'd really want a larger engine.  28" is a bit dreamy for the MS390, too, unless in either case you're cutting balsa on a regular basis.

Of the saws you listed, my money would go to the MS361/20" at this time, although they're $529 here.  If there were such a critter as an MS261 it might be a different ball game.

Rocky_J

I'd run a 24" on a 361 if I had one. It would fit nicely in between the 346XP Husky with an 18" and the 044Magnum with 28".

beenthere

I have the 20" bar on the MS361, and it is very close to being balanced when carrying with one hand by the handle, but I sure would like it closer. The nose of the bar tips down ever so slightly, and it is slightly annoying (I guess I am spoiled by my 041 with a 20" bar that carries in a balanced position).  

Other than that, very happy with the way the saw with the 20" bar handles and cuts, and it doesn't sit on the ground with the bar nose down in the dirt, of which I am real happy. Don't know if a longer bar would work that way on the MS361.  Just a tidbit of info.

Power-wise, I am also sure it would handle a 24" bar.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

incognitive

I guess I forgot to mention my theory as to why there's only 20" bars listed as "available" for the saw.  Saws under 3.8 ci (62cc) are "supposed" to have the green-label bars and chain due to ANSI ratings.  I don't think any of the 20"+ bars are not yellow-label.  (Oregon uses blue and yellow color codes.)

There must be some way using the smaller saws without the "safety" garb is "disallowed", like maybe working for the government on government property or something.  It's okay to do what you want on your own property yet, but just barely.  So you can get a 36" bar for the MS260 if you want.

In the current Stihl catalog, on page 32, any bar with a part number 3003-xxx-xxxx will fit on any saw listed with such a bar prefix number, even if the bar's not listed right by the saw itself.

lcgarage

I KNEW I was asking the right group! I do have the 04' Stihl catalog and now can see how the 3003-xxx-xxxx bar series fits. The MS361 with a 20" is what I am getting, but it's good to now I can go a little longer, if needed.

Stihl had me worried with the MS361 "Guide Bars Available 16"-20". Now if 20" is the "Max" available for kick back and to meet ANSI regulations, THAT's different and makes sense, Thanks.
  Doesn't explain why the MS390 lists a 28" Max available bar (which no one in their right mind would do). Maybe it's marketing, OR the regulations changed, and since MS361 is newer it's specs comply with ANSI kickback requirements, where the older saw specs have not been updated.

Did anyone else notice that the 04' Stihl Product Catalog has 23 pages of useful chainsaw/chain/bar specs and details. Two pages on bars. So you could put a 36" bar on the MS260!! Then take a picture of it and put the 16" back.
  The 04' Husqvarna Product Catalog only has 6 useful pages (just chainsaws specs, the saw section is 15 pgs but 9 pgs are just nice pictures)?
  Thanks again, It's nice to hear from the pro''s and of course being able to spend $500 on a saw is nice too (sorry).

lcgarage

Here is the answer from Stihl (who responded within 24hrs) and makes sence, thanks again.

""We are in receipt of and thank you for the e-mail. I apologize for any confusion but the MS361 will be authorized for a maximum bar and chain assembly length of 24". This will also be the recommended application for the MS390.
Thank you again for the e-mail."
Sincerely,
Louie Cassarella
Technical Advisor
Stihl Inc.""

Thank You Sponsors!