iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

Quote from: Skeans1 on May 22, 2018, 07:29:30 AM
If I had to guess it'd be in the 6.5 to 7 foot range on the butt where the head is for height. If you were cutting that with a 32" bar you'd be cutting a block for a face and a small window to finish your back cut.
What is the size of the younger replacements?
Liking Walnut

OH logger

john

Skeans1

Douglas fir, to diameter of the thin it can very greatly from 28" down to twigs our goal is to leave the best healthy stems vs a defective large tree.

Ken

Although I'm sure I will never have an opportunity to work in a stand like this it was a pleasure to walk through.  It was mostly spruce located in a park in Kuopio Finland.  I was with a group last week touring the Ponsse factory and some seeing some forest demos.  Those folks have their act together with respect to farming their forests.  Very impressive trip.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

nativewolf

Finland is neat.  Worked there for a year in Oitti at a forest research center and got to travel through Finland quite a bit.  The intensity is high but at risk due to the transition away from paper products which has hurt Finland both from products but as well from support of the paper industry (they make paper machines, pulp plants, etc).  

Ken, Ponsse is a small company, right?  They are doing well in the US, why is that?   We are still looking for a used forwarder and everytime I see a Ponsse the price seems to be at a premium.  At auction they have sold for much lower but there may be reasons for selling them at auction and the low price.
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

Ponsse isn't that small of a company say like Rottne, price is because they cost more new then say a Deere, Komatsu, Rottne. Their big deal is suppose to be service but if you're not near one of their dealers normally factory stores I've heard it's not good at all, our store is 3 hours south of me and there's a few sets up here. I'd love to see how long the one around me lastest because their guys put stuff through the ringer to put it nicely. Here's one of their Clear cut sides https://youtu.be/xv2GvHgXlGw

nativewolf

Well the pricing is premium that's for sure if the quality is there than I can see it.  They sure sell some machines in the US.  
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

I haven't ran one but theirs guys we know that have and from their mouths say there's no quality difference. Take a Komatsu forwarder theirs no exposed hose from the boom to the rotator, Deere you have the leveling rotating cab, Rottne is just dirt simple under the cab. To each their own but they aren't on top of my list for a machine.

chevytaHOE5674

Ponsse is popular around here because of the parts and service departments. Many crews have switched from other brands after waiting days and weeks for parts and troubleshooting when ponsse generally has parts on the shelf and makes things happen when a service call is needed. The deere and komatsu dealers arent even close to the same level.

I've ran deere, komatsu, timbco/fabtek and Ponsse and I would rank the Ponsse higher in operator comfort, uptime, accuracy, productivity, and lightyears ahead in parts and service. 

barbender

There's several reasons our company runs all Ponsse machines, but parts and service is #1.
Too many irons in the fire

Ken

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on May 24, 2018, 10:37:11 AM
Ponsse is popular around here because of the parts and service departments. Many crews have switched from other brands after waiting days and weeks for parts and troubleshooting when ponsse generally has parts on the shelf and makes things happen when a service call is needed. The deere and komatsu dealers arent even close to the same level.

I've ran deere, komatsu, timbco/fabtek and Ponsse and I would rank the Ponsse higher in operator comfort, uptime, accuracy, productivity, and lightyears ahead in parts and service.
Well said and I think the service and parts supply issue changes from place to place.  Without trashing any particular brand at the same time I'm shopping I've heard some horror stories lately about the service support from some supposed reputable dealers in my relative area.  Although their machines may be of high quality it means nothing to the contractor if he has to wait roadside for days to get support.  These expensive machines need to be productive day in and day out.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

BargeMonkey

I assume alot of you guys are flat out busy as well, just not enough time in the day. Got her moved the other night just before dark. 

This landowner is a really decent guy, I wish they where all this easy to get along with. Cleared for my header today. 

Ash....Ash.. and more Ash 🤣 go 500 ft out into the woods and it's never been hammered. Buyer from Wagner called me the other day... DESPERATE... Told him it will be a cold day before they buy wood from me again. 

I dont know about you guys but I have the worst luck, then all of a sudden the switch turns. I'm probably an honest 5mil ft out right now, Get the store open and heading to MI for iron. 
 A couple guys have PM'ed me asking me if I'm open, I get home so late I'm sorry I havent responded. Wanted to be open last Saturday, getting close, probably 10days or so, insides done and 100%, finishing up the last of the dirtwork and getting the pumps squared away this week. So far I've made deals with Pepsi, Garelick farms, Boars head, Utz chips and a couple other vendors, spend big money for 20-30% return. 🤣 Our grand opening is June 30th if anyone is driving by, I will be there swinging ice cream cones, we had to run 4 cases thru the machine to test it, gave away about 500 ice cream cones so far 🤣 

I'm all about making money but theres a line, I watched all my local stations jump .10 for the holiday but gas went up .03 over a 7 day period, if people knew sometimes how bad they where taking the shaft on fuel. 👎 

mike_belben

The terminal raises the price the second that wall street says brent crude is up for the day.  But they dont lower it until they have fully sold off that inventory and have refilled at the new lower price.
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

Nothing good to say, cut wood when I've got time. slow going but still getting it done. 

Finch wants pulpwood but the price isnt there. I told the buyer I've got 100+ld bought ahead and he thinks 1.50 a ton is huge motivation. 🤣 

Firewoods going to be hard to come by this yr, no ones sitting on big piles, I'm going to drop a couple jobs on the ground when I get done in Altamont and just leave it lay in case. 

I've got to bite the CTL bullet at somepoint, small headers, no huge mess, run a man ragged running 4 machines trying to hump wood out. 
Finished my storm water nightmare today finally. 🤣 I cant cry to hard because they paid me to do my own work but it's still a job, most people have no clue in NY what happens when you disturb over 1acre, soon they will start enforcing the whole state.

coxy

even here if over one ac is going to be stumped need an impact study done 

mike_belben

Here everyone has the good sense to know the impact will be less shade, more grass and a pile of stumps.  They done studied it already.

;D

(Not to suggests its just another NYS wealth transfer scheme...)
Praise The Lord

ehp

Barge, about the same here for me . You can work 14 days a week and most want you to do that but I can feel Im getting played out pretty good so I got another week or so and then boys Im going fishing

BargeMonkey

Quote from: ehp on June 09, 2018, 04:48:33 PM
Barge, about the same here for me . You can work 14 days a week and most want you to do that but I can feel Im getting played out pretty good so I got another week or so and then boys Im going fishing
It's getting old quick, 10pm last night, 9 tonight. I just shake my head when I hear people say they "cant find work", I'm losing jobs I can't go fast enough. We took on more than we should have, down 2 employees, 1 will come back, 1 isnt even 40 and was recently diagnosed with stage 4 cancer so we are spread thin. 

dustintheblood

Same here.  Ran the processor till 11pm last night and was up and into my office for 3am this morning.  Will be back on the machinery before noon and run it till I drop.
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

ehp

Im thinking today maybe my last day on this job, 8) 8) 8). I should b fishing by next week , I hope so or maybe just sleeping . been up sense 2;30 this morning doing stuff

BargeMonkey

Just about wrapped up, got good wood to go cut and cant finish these small jobs fast enough. 

jwilly3879

Got into some nice hardwood last weekend.

Logs and firewood. Shipped the logs yesterday.

New old loader mount (1972 White 4000) same year as the loader.

teakwood

Quote from: BargeMonkey on June 16, 2018, 10:48:21 AM

Just about wrapped up, got good wood to go cut and cant finish these small jobs fast enough.
Hey Eric, do you ever slow down!!  Do you even have time for beers on a weekend??

Nice load jwilly
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

BargeMonkey

JWilly- been hot enough for you ? 🤣  Firewood is scarce down here this yr. 

Skeans1

Doing a small corner off our home place of 60 year fir, this is one of the smaller ones still nothing you'd want to hold on to down to the ground. 

Thank You Sponsors!