iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A-Frame cabin

Started by KjBarnwood, October 22, 2008, 12:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KjBarnwood

Anyone ever build one?  Any pics?  Any suggestions or advice?  I am considering building one for a camp.  They seem pretty straight forward.  Should I look at it as a stick frame, or a timber frame?  I was thinking of using some small dia red pine with 2 live edges for rafters.

underdog

My computor will not open PDF but this site looked interesting.
scroll down to RECREATION PLANS
http://bioengr.ag.utk.edu/extension/ExtPubs/PlanList97.htm

york

Hi,
I would not use Red pine,nope.....Bert
Albert

KjBarnwood

Thanks - Bert why not red pine?  I usually only cut and use reclaimed - different world completely.

york

Red pine is just not decay resistant....Have milled miles of it for wall logs and most of it will twist....Bert
Albert

Dodgy Loner

Why would rot resistance be an issue for rafters?
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Jeff

Red pine makes great framing lumber and the logs are widely used for log homes here in Michigan. Perhaps our Redpine is of a different quality here, I dont know, but I would love to have a bunch of red pine to saw up for building projects. The little cabin we built out back is 90% red pine including the siding.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,14094.msg207884.html#msg207884
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jander3

Red pine is one of the prefered trees for log cabins in Minnesota.  Now, we use large overhangs to keep the rain off the log ends. Should be no problem for rafters.

moonhill

Red pine, is that the same as Norway pine?  I don't like it for the reasons listed above, twisting and it has a large sap wood content.  Sap wood is more subject to rot, if it is exposed to the weather I would try and avoid it for longevity.  It is heavy, too.      Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Dodgy Loner

Twisting of red pine (aka Norway pine) has more to do with the quality of the tree than the species itself.  A poor quality loblolly pine will produce poor quality lumber, yet loblolly pine is the most commonly used pine for dimensional lumber in the United States.  Also, loblolly pine is more dense than red pine, so I don't see why weight should be an issue.  Pine will last a very long time when exposed to the weather provided that it does not stay wet for prolonged periods of time.  You wouldn't want it in contact with the ground, but it makes fine siding and has been used for that purpose for hundreds of years.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!