iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wait before raising

Started by Alexis, September 01, 2008, 06:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexis

Hello all,

I am wondering what's the longest you've wait before raising a frame. The time from the cutting to the raising... what was the result, did you have to discard timber and cut them again or did everything fit?

thanks

Alexis

tyb525

I don't have any experience with timber framing, but I would imagine there is some shrinkage/warpage due to drying. Lengthwise it should not be a problem, because I don't think lumber shrinks that way.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Don P

That is the key, the difference in moisture content between fabrication and installation. The wait might be better spent just letting the timbers dry  ???. Or if you work leisurely :).

jmaine

In building my barn, it was about 18 months between the time I first started cutting timbers and the frame was up.  This wasn't the plan, but I had a series of delays/setbacks.  I did have to make some adjustments just prior to raising, but nothing too dramatic.

I used Hemlock timbers which were very green when I first started cutting.  I think the most important thing is to stack your timbers properly, seal the ends and try to keep them dry. 

Joe

Brad_bb

If you are using any reclaim timbers, they are seasoned and shouldn't move if you keep them protected from moisture.  I am building some stuff ahead and using some seasoned timber.  It will be a little more work(green is usually easier to work), but I don't think it will be that bad- not enough to dissuade me.  If I were cutting some green timbers, I might let them dry out a little bit so that they are not fresh wet off the saw mill.  Then seal all end grain as was mentioned with Anchor seal or the green wood sealer they sell at Rockler.  End grain sealing will stop the ends from losing moisture more quickly than the rest of the timber and force water out the sides more evenly, for more even drying.  Unsealed end grain will lead to more warpage and checking.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

logman

I've had problems with brace angles changing on syp and oak after just a few months. 
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

ARKANSAWYER

I will try to give the timbers a month or two to move before fitting.  I try really hard to saw all the timbers in the same week or two if possible so they are drying at about the same rate.  Fitting old drier timbers in to a frame is not so hard but they are harder to cut.  Getting a green one in is a different story.

I sawed this frame out in Oct 06, fitted in Mar 07 and raised in June / July 07.

ARKANSAWYER

Grawulf

Arky, that's a beautiful........... 8)

Thank You Sponsors!