iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White ash prices

Started by Cub, January 31, 2018, 10:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cub

Hey guys. Just getting ready to start a white ash swamp project. Hoping to get a good 4 weekends in before things start breaking up.  Hoping to finish up where we are now on Saturday and start cutting white ash Sunday. So my question is what kind of prices are you guys seeing for ash verneer, saw#1 and saw #2? 

Blue Noser

We are quite separated geographically but I will chip in for those who may be interested.I can't find much for prices in my area for white ash veneer/saw material. Probably because it's occurrence is localized and it's not a major component of the overall industry. That and the fact the quality hardwood market here is almost non-existent.

I do know of one buyer who will pay $200/cord for white ash sawlogs for making into lobster traps. I think the specs are minimum 6" top, at least 2 clear faces, and 8' 6" - 16' 6". He is not near as picky as sawmills in regards to defects as he only needs pieces 2-3 feet in length or so for a finished product.

nativewolf

Quote from: Cub on January 31, 2018, 10:26:00 PM
Hey guys. Just getting ready to start a white ash swamp project. Hoping to get a good 4 weekends in before things start breaking up.  Hoping to finish up where we are now on Saturday and start cutting white ash Sunday. So my question is what kind of prices are you guys seeing for ash verneer, saw#1 and saw #2?

In Virginia everything is EAB killed but the buyers are paying $600/mbf (doyle) for logs, straight run pretty much.  I suppose I could get veneer pricing somewhere but I don't try.  We just throw them on top of the loads. 
Liking Walnut

PA_Walnut

Yep. They are paying-up for ash around here too. Last guy told me that the log yard was paying $700/Mbf for average straight run. I've turned it down for lot less.

Strange thing is that it's fetching a LOT more than cherry. I'll take the cherry any day, even if I have to sit on the lumber for a while. Wood hoarding isn't beyond me.  ;D :D :laugh:
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

nativewolf

Quote from: PA_Walnut on February 01, 2018, 07:54:49 AM
Yep. They are paying-up for ash around here too. Last guy told me that the log yard was paying $700/Mbf for average straight run. I've turned it down for lot less.

Strange thing is that it's fetching a LOT more than cherry. I'll take the cherry any day, even if I have to sit on the lumber for a while. Wood hoarding isn't beyond me.  ;D :D :laugh:

I could not agree more.  Why ash is getting so high I dont' know.  Fine wood but a bit plain and I could replace with poplar, pine, etc.  Cherry is cheap and is a wonderful wood to work with and beautiful in appearance.
Liking Walnut

PA_Walnut

I am capturing the opportunity and hoarding-up cherry. I can get it readily right now...NICE stuff!
What's not to love?  :-*

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Stoneyacrefarm

In my area up here I am getting 300-1050 a thousand for ash.
300 a thousand for pallet and up to 1050 a thousand for better export logs.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

logbyr

Ash market is being fueled by chinese sawlog market.    They have been buying all the ash logs they can get their hands on the last few years.   They realized this year that the EAB is going to soon make the species very limited.   That has put some new effort into their procurement.
Domestic sawmills, handle mills, bat makers all fighting for the resource before it becomes unavailable. 

PA_Walnut

*DanG that gripes me.  :-[ >:(
When's the last time you heard of a Chinese log being imported here?

When we can't make baseball bats here any longer, China will sell us some.  ::)
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

coxy

Quote from: logbyr on February 01, 2018, 06:22:24 PM

Ash market is being fueled by chinese sawlog market.    They have been buying all the ash logs they can get their hands on the last few years.   They realized this year that the EAB is going to soon make the species very limited.   That has put some new effort into their procurement.
Domestic sawmills, handle mills, bat makers all fighting for the resource before it becomes unavailable.
ya because there government shut down all logging on there land  if they want to pay what there paying ill sell it to them all day long :)

starmac

I know exactly nothing about logging in China, but never plan to go there anyway. I am not sure why we would want them to export logs to us at all. I do know they import lots of logs from the west coast too.
from what I understand about the eab, it seems like them buying it is a win win, no?
It seems crazy how much difference there is in price for different areas, even some that are not that far apart.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

ahlkey

Right now white veneer prices are down significantly from last season. If you are harvesting a swamp you may ttle have a large number of black ash which is even lower.  I recently sold a load of white ash at just over $500 for veneer and as low as 300 per thousans for number two. A good thing most were veneer but still not great.

starmac

Quote from: PA_Walnut on February 01, 2018, 07:14:33 PM

I can't even remember the last time I was in the market for a baseball bat, but I bet china already sells us some.
If they can send it over hear and sell it for 3 cents less than one built here, folks will be all over them.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

coxy

Quote from: starmac on February 01, 2018, 11:09:39 PM
Quote from: PA_Walnut on February 01, 2018, 07:14:33 PM

I can't even remember the last time I was in the market for a baseball bat, but I bet china already sells us some.
If they can send it over hear and sell it for 3 cents less than one built here, folks will be all over them.
your right whos fault is that  ours

logbyr

There is a debate we can all have on log exports.   As to the current ash market if it were not for the Chinese market ash prices would have tanked deeply.   The domestic market could never have absorbed the massive volumes that have been cut in recent years.

Stoneyacrefarm

Logbyer
I agree totally.
Ash prices tanked in my area a few years ago.
The export market surely brought prices back up.
We are also seeing a better market for yellow birch up here for the baseball bat market.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

nativewolf

Quote from: PA_Walnut on February 01, 2018, 08:38:42 AM
I am capturing the opportunity and hoarding-up cherry. I can get it readily right now...NICE stuff!
What's not to love?  :-*

Leave it to you to hoard that pallet wood.  Seriously, that's pretty.  I can't see paying Ash money for that...but there you go.  Smart move to get some good stuff layed away.
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Send every log you can to them at max prices and bring our USDollars back home to spend in our local communities.  They already got all our factory jobs and scrap metal.. Resources is all that we have left to sell the chicoms. 

Because USD is still the world reserve currency (probably not for much longer) and all other countries need petrodollars they all compete to sell us their junk to get our paper money.  Exporting things to get some of that money back is the only way we can enrich our communities without printing more money which makes us all poorer. 

Export whats grown and buy more land to grow more!
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Besides.. You dont want chinese timber imports.. Where do you think emerald ash borer came from in the first place?

Did you know china exports granite to NH.. The granite state, cheaper than its mined in NH?  Our free market cant compete with a subsidized govt owned economy
Praise The Lord

coxy

mike why cant we compete oh that's right it takes 15 men/women to look after one guy to make shur he doing his job and 30 more people to look after the other 15 to make shur they are doing it right  all getting big money pay checks while the product being made wont even pay the wages for the first 5 people involved  that's why we have to import  just like Trump said the empire state building was built in 1 year now it would take 10 years just to get a permit  just think how many people are getting a pay check in the first 10 years then say it takes another 4-5 to complete there getting checks then people wonder why an office space gets 10gran a month rent  this country is insane on all the regulations  everyone complains about garbage long side of the road well they make it so hard/expensive to rid of people cant afford to send it to the dump I called about skidder tires a 23.1-26 is 200$ to take to the dump  :o

SwampDonkey

The local market here in New Brunswick is Garant handles. Prime ash is around $490/th and grade 1 is $343/th. Ash is a major component of the hardwood forest up here in the settled areas. It can be 5% or 80% of the hardwood stand, but overall 10-15% because maple is the dominant tolerant hardwood here.

I am so used to mills calling aspen, as "poplar" and maple/birch/ash/beech/oak as "hardwood". So we won't go there for argument sake. ;D On their spec sheets aspen (poplar) is a separate class, not in the hardwood class. Hardwood is the harder hardwoods, mostly tolerant hardwood. But white birch isn't tolerant, except that it grows to be real old up here. A 30" white birch is dang old. And if it is "mixed hardwood" on their sheets, it's not including aspen (poplar). A third class is "birch", yellow and white at some pulp mills or veneer buyers. Here is an example. Always been that way up here, always will be. :)

https://www.cvwpa.ca/products
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Cub

I was told prices aren't to bad. 500/100 for verneer. 450/1000 for saw#1 and 350/1000 for saw#2. Before trucking. What do you guys think?

SwampDonkey

Sounds good to me. My prices are $CDN. Go for it.  Up this way hard maple and birch is where the veneer money is. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Cub

Apparently soft maple is really good around here. Although I don't know much about all this stuff yet I was always told hard maple is a good market here also. Also basswood.

SwampDonkey

Soft maple around these parts is quite low on the income scale.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!