iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I was wrong...once

Started by Larry, March 31, 2008, 04:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

All of my cutting experience has been in the loess hills of north Missouri.  Soil 30' deep before you ever found a rock.  I had a Oregon grinder but didn't use it...I was thoroughly convinced if you didn't hand file your were a woose...or even worse.  Nothing to putting the edge back on the chain if you hit dirt...even frozen dirt.  If I hit a piece of fence it only took a few times of filing to work it out...so who needs a grinder.  Think I might have even made a remark or two about somebody that could not file on this forum. ::)

Well...I moved to Arkansas.  Arkansas has rocks...lots of rocks...big rocks and little rocks...sometimes rocks are even found inside a tree. :o  How do they get there? :P  My chains started looking like something you would see on a rental saw.  I found I could even destroy a chain in a day. >:(  You take sharp chains to the woods...and re-sharpen those chains on the grinder at night.  The heck with those stupid files...who in there right mind would use one of those things? ;D ;D 

Just thought I would own up and admit I was wrong...once. ;D :D ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

rebocardo

> I found I could even destroy a chain in a day

Or several when you hit concrete heart wood when doing a notch.  :D

zopi

Quote from: rebocardo on March 31, 2008, 05:22:45 PM
> I found I could even destroy a chain in a day

Or several when you hit concrete heart wood when doing a notch.  :D

at that point black powder seems to be a good bet...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

dancan

I have a grinder , good files , lots of spare chains and plenty of rocks and gravel  :D
I touch up the dull ones with a file and fix the rock chains on the grinder , both tools are invaluable .

my wife says I'm wrong....alot  :(

Nate Surveyor

Larry, you are ok.

I am a purist, and still use the file. And probably wear out 2 files per chain, due to hard spots from hitting rocks, and stuff.

But, Arkesaw is certainly known for it's rocks!

N
I know less than I used to.

thecfarm

I've always done it free hand with a file.Took me a long time to learn it this way.I can even get the chain back pretty good after I hit a rock.About the third sharpening it's cutting just about back where it should be.I would not want to relearn all over again,even if it is better.   :)    
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dale Hatfield

Rocks dont bug me near as much as the concrete and the head stone I hit in the Cemetery.
I flie by hand less I hit something that takes the chrome half back then its off to the hook on the wall. Costof doing biz ,
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

snowman

When I was a kid sawing on the landing there were times I'd go through a chain a day.Kinda cuts into the ole profit margin! I always wondered about those carbide chains Baileys sells but never did try one.I think it's carbide, maybe I have my minerals mixed up.Im sure it wasn't diamonds though :D

sunriseseamless

I'm kind of impatient when it comes to sharpening.  Lately i've been sharpening with a 4 1/2" hand grinder - freehand.  Takes a lot less time and gives a good edge.  The downside is it takes off more than is really needed so the chains don't last as long.  Since I don't cut that much it's not as big a deal to me.

little Bark

Quote from: snowman on April 01, 2008, 11:19:40 AM
When I was a kid sawing on the landing there were times I'd go through a chain a day.Kinda cuts into the ole profit margin! I always wondered about those carbide chains Baileys sells but never did try one.I think it's carbide, maybe I have my minerals mixed up.Im sure it wasn't diamonds though :D

Being a machinest by trade carbide is a great material.  But it does have its down sides.  (1) you are not going to sharpen that chain w/ a file. you will also need special grinding wheels to resharpen with. (2) carbide is very brittal compared to steel. has a tendance to chip or break. So you may have to grind away a lot of the tooth.(3) Likes to have a constance force on the cutting edge.  As log as the cutting edge is burried in the cut it will last for a very long time. When it is not feeding fast enougth is when the cutting edge will dull. (heat/friction) Carbid tooling takes more HP to run efficiently.

With all of that I have never used a carbide chainsaw blade.  But i'm sure thay have there place in the industry.  My thought is if your not going to be doing any gound work w/ the chain you may want to try one. ( if you have a way to sharpen it )
Always use the rite tool for the job.

OneWithWood

Larry, I am right there with you.  I think I might have made a similar statement about hand filing.

However, we got rocks, assorted bits of metal and other stuff here in southern Indiana and I eventually saw the light.  Now I use both files and a grinder.

In this case two wrongs do make a right so you can go back to never being wrong  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

beenthere

Quote from: sunriseseamless on April 01, 2008, 12:49:11 PM
I'm kind of impatient when it comes to sharpening.  Lately i've been sharpening with a 4 1/2" hand grinder - freehand.  Takes a lot less time and gives a good edge.  The downside is it takes off more than is really needed so the chains don't last as long.  Since I don't cut that much it's not as big a deal to me.

sunrise....there has got to be a much better way...that poor chain, and the poor guy trying to cut wood with it.... ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

But, it is your chain... :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sunriseseamless

"the poor guy trying to cut wood with it...."
I'm not sure why you say that, I get a better edge than with a round file. Generally, it feels like a 'fresh from the saw shop' job.  What I try to do is mimic a bench grinder, but without having to take the chain off the saw.  I just cut up a 30" Hickory the other day with my Stihl .026.  Like I said, the only downside is the chain doesn't last as long, but twenty bucks for a new chain is worth a couple of hours ??? saved time.

MikeH

I used to hand file, now I use a $30 Harbour freight chain grinder and absolutely Love it. I had 5 damaged chains beyond filling by hand (unless you spent at least a hour apiece on them :(). Took them through cheap-o grinder and bam just like new :o. Paid for itself right there. I dont even look at the files now(unless I am on a road trip), I can have the chain off the saw, resharpened, and back on in less than 5 minutes.

Dale Hatfield

I run some carbide coated chain . I use on the landing . We usually pull stringer length logs. So their is usually 2 cuts to make at each log or more. We get a fair amount sandy gritty rock here in the hills. So before  it was make  6 cuts sharpen  repeat.
The carbide coated chain  has a thin layer of grit on the top plate. Its a round corner chain. It cuts a lot slower. Doesnt bore worth a hoot . It last  about  3 times tween sharpening. But for the  landing its a great chain. It sharpens pretty easy with a save edge file.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

johncinquo

I keep a stack of chains around so I can usually cut for several months before sharpening anything.  Then I pull up a chair, set the beer on ice, and sharpen all of em on the grinder at once.  Batch processing at its finest.  Sharpen all left side cutters on a bunch of chains, switch the guide around, sharpen all the right side cutters, your all set for another couple months.  Also makes that spool of chain worth what I paid, as they all match. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Thank You Sponsors!