iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gafner Iron Mule automatic???

Started by Firewoodjoe, February 26, 2018, 08:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Anyone been around one or know about them? Thanks.

Cub

I've been around them a little bit. What model and what kind of information you looking for?

Firewoodjoe

5500. Are they any good? Are they the ford syncromatic?

Firewoodjoe

ilog4u2

I have a 5500 and I love it. It is not fancy or fast but the old girl just works. It is a standard trans. I know a guy that had the automatic trans in his and it gave him lots of problems. Parts and support are still available in the UP. 

Cub

I have a 5510 and my partner has a 4510. Both standard transmissions. I ran a 5000 with the automatic trans for a guy for a while on and off. Not sure what ford called them exactly. I liked it and it worked really good. But when it quit working it was expensive to fix. I'd steer clear of them unless you know the exact history of the machine. How well it was taken care of and what have you. Find a standard trans if you can. Of course you can always put 1 in if the auto dies. Simple machines and easy to work on. And parts are very available. As mentioned in escanaba mi there's a few places. 

Firewoodjoe

Ok thanks guys. Yeah everyone I've talk to says steer clear but it's supposed to be a clean none broke up machine with heat. I will be tempted to buy it if this is true.  I'll be looking at it Saturday morning.  I know where there is a decent 4501 but the boom has been welded and center has been with open cab no heat.

mad murdock

Back in the day we bought a new 4501 (1982) from Ison Equipment( Gafner dealer in Northern Wisc). It was a great machine, it had an enclosed cab with reversible radiator fan blades on the 3 cyl perkins diesel.  That thing was a miser on fuel, burned 5 maybe 8 gallons a day on a real long day, most days, 5-6 gallons.  It was a great machine for what it was, manual trans, it was full time 3 wheel drive with a front axle manual locker that was a foot pedal that when pushed to the floor with your left heel, locked the front axle so you had true 4 wd.  The loader was I think a 16' gafner loader, it was a good 1.5-2 cord machine, typical day was between 2-3 truckloads a day.  Never been around any "mules" with an automatic trans. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Cub

Worse case senario if the auto trans dies on you you can always put a standard trans in it. They can be had at most tractor bone yards.Most "mule" parts can be had there. Built on ford tractor parts. And there was millions of those around. Good luck. For what its worth i love my "mule"

Corley5

The 5000 I had was MF based with Massey's two pedal hydro tranny.  It was nice but I was warned that transmission parts for it may have been hard to come by.  I miss my Mule.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Firewoodjoe

Yeah this is ford based. I figure if it's lasted 30+ years even if rebuilt once it would be worth rebuilding again. If it's as nice as he says then it's worth what he's asking and I feel even worth the cost of a rebuild. I'm looking at it sat morning. Otherwise I'm going for a 4501 I already looked at. But no heat and been welded in the normal places.

Cub

XI stand corrected. After I thought about it your correct Corley. The 5000 the guy had at the farm was Massey based also with the 2 pedal hydro trans. Worked great. I liked it. But was expensive to fix when it died. Was no problem to get parts for. Although this was 9 years ago. If I may ask firewoodjoe what's the asking price? Don't be afraid of welds. After 30+ years they've all been welded on!! 

Firewoodjoe

I know they've all been welded and that doesn't concern me  but if I can get a bigger one that's not welded (so he says) with a full cab and heat for the same price then I'd be willing to try the auto. Both are 15000.

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Firewoodjoe

No I don't. Haven't seen the 5500 yet and the 4501 I just knocked on the door and ask him.

chevytaHOE5674

Did they use the ford select-o-speed transmission? If so at the first sign of trouble scrap it and swap an 8 speed in it.

Firewoodjoe

I just talk to him and got directions. It's a three speed. Clark maybe? He's got two manuals for it.

Cub

If it's a 5500 it will have a ford tractor transmission in it I believe. Even the 4501 that you looked at should be all ford if it's a 4501f. 15000 for either is a good price. Even if it needs work. You won't lose money. I paid 7000 for mine with trans issues. Pulled the trans and engine gutted the trans to replace a shift fork and the reverse gear. Costed 200 bucks. Did it in less than a week. 3 days of that was waiting for parts. 

Firewoodjoe

It is a 3 speed. Never seen a 3 speed tractor

Cub

Yes the auto trans is a 3 speed. Not sure where it was from. What engine is in it?

Firewoodjoe

Well I told him I would take it 14,000 the boom has been welded not terrible though seems to run and work really well. I brought the parts manual home with me and the 5500 only shows the eight speed automatic this is a three speed automatic so according to the book it's either a 5050 or a 5550. I can't go get it for a few weeks but I will get the serial number off it then and find out.

Firewoodjoe

I tried downloading a picture I don't know what I did but now it's my cover photo if you can forgot to look at that

Cub

I figured with the 3 speed auto it would be the 50 series just by looking at my parts manual. I probably have the same manual as you. If it has a 4 cyl turbo engine it's definitely a 50 series. Sounds like a good deal. I would've definitely bought it for that!! Good job!! You won't be sorry!! What size rubber does it have? 

Firewoodjoe

23.1-26 it needs tlc but there all getting old.

Firewoodjoe

starmac

Looks like an ideal piece of equipment for a small operation, at least in some circumstances.

I have never had the opurtunity to be around any forwarder at all and have some questions.

On these small ones, how well do they handle rough and step ground compared to a skidder?
One one that size, how long of logs, can it easily haul out.
Just looking at it, I assume one could easily load the logs straight from it to a truck, is this so.

Just thinking something like that would be the berrys here for firewood and sawlogs for my mill, for a small operation.
The downside is it would be of no use for saw logs that are sold to the mill here.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

ilog4u2

I have used my mule as the only machine on quit a few jobs. I put a short piece of chain with a 1/2" hook shackled the rear so I use a choker to skid logs off of side hills or if I can't get beside them. I also cut 1/2" slots on both sides of the front blade for skidding trees down to flat areas. It will go anywhere a skidder will go just not as fast. Only problem is it swivels as well as articulates and sometimes the stakes hang up on trees in uneven / steep ground. Very handy for sorting on the landing and works great around the firewood processor keeping the deck loaded and wood facing the right direction.

starmac

Articulating and hanging on trees would be a non issue the way logging is done here, at least most of the time.

Have you ever used it to load a truck with, and how long of logs can you haul with it?

ilog4u2

I seldom cut any logs over 12'. Sometimes firewood up to 16' and hauls it no problem. Loaded many a dump trailer with it but never a full height log truck. It's possible but these are fairly short booms with about half the lifting capacity of a self loading log truck. 

Cub

Looks like a 5001f. But I'm sure I'm wrong. Where's your hydro tank? Do you have 2 pedals? 1 for forward 1 for reverse?

Firewoodjoe

According to my book there two booms offered. The boom on this one was either the 5500 or the 5550. Then the book says two transmission. The 3 speed only offered in the 5050 and the 5550 so it should be a 5550. And yes it does have rear controls. Didn't see if they function properly.

Firewoodjoe

Cub there are no foot pedals it's on the dash. F N R and 123 just a gas a brake.

starmac

Quote from: ilog4u2 on March 03, 2018, 08:21:55 PM
I seldom cut any logs over 12'. Sometimes firewood up to 16' and hauls it no problem. Loaded many a dump trailer with it but never a full height log truck. It's possible but these are fairly short booms with about half the lifting capacity of a self loading log truck.
When you say half the lifting capabilities, are you talking height, weight or both. the height I could work around, but I would have to be able to lift as much as a 40 in log. really would need to be able to handle at least a 20 foot log, 24 ft would be ideal, so probably would not work for me after all.
I think it would be the berries if it would.

Firewoodjoe

That's why most every mule has a broken boom. They were built for short wood. Buy a knuckleboom for long logs/tree length.

thecfarm

I have never see a mule in this area. But if I do,the brakes will be applied and if I have to back up to check it out and get my nice shoes muddy I will!!!! They do look kinda awkward,but I could use one. I only play on mine land now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Just think how deliberately you could position your boulders with it.   :laugh:
Praise The Lord

starmac

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on March 03, 2018, 09:51:03 PM
That's why most every mule has a broken boom. They were built for short wood. Buy a knuckleboom for long logs/tree length.
Yea, probably not what I could use, and that is a shame, as it could take the place of a skidder and a loader, if it would. Plus in some places allow you to work in the summer without getting the wood full of dirt.
@4 foot is short wood here, the mill will only take very limited amounts of it at all, and dock you 20% for what they do take, if you are trying to sell to the mill. They will not take a stick under 16 at all.

Cub

Yes firewoodjoe that sounds abiut right. Once you get it home get the serial number off from it. Call Roland machine in escanaba mi where they were all built. They should be able to tell you model and year.  Yes mules were made mostly for 100" pulping and 104 hardwood verneer and saw logs. Although a guy can haul 8,10 and even 12 or longer on them if they are smaller logs. They really don't have strong loaders on them. And long stuff really beats the center pins up. 

Corley5

I loaded some BIG logs on my Mule by picking them up one end at a time.  Hauled some twenty foot long stuff by putting them on the bottom and stacking 100" on top to hold them down.  Guys used to load trucks with them around here.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

Quote from: mike_belben on March 03, 2018, 10:09:22 PM
Just think how deliberately you could position your boulders with it.   :laugh:
And haul more than one at a time.  ;D
But I do remember checking out a forwarder trailer. Some guy was checking it out to build stone walls with it. He could haul the rocks on it and put them a certain way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mad murdock

Like Corley states, we used to haul some long stuff from time to thine the exact same way, one end at a time with some bolt wood or pulp on  top. Would not do too much though was real easy to overload it doing that. Was hard on planetaries with consistent overloading. We loaded pulp trailers and box bolt wood all the time with our 4501. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!