iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sassafras logs

Started by millstead, December 02, 2012, 09:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

millstead

I have about a dozen sassafras logs to mill for myself I was wondering what the lumber would be good for does anyone have experience milling sassafras thanks

Magicman

I have milled much Sassafras that was used as wall paneling.  Beautiful stuff.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

I cut some for a customer and it was beautiful lumber. I did keep one 1X10X10 board out of the logs and it did very well drying and planning. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

rooster 58

Hi Millstead,
                 Here in Pa. sasafrass is used to make rustic furniture, especially chairs, tables, benches, picture frames and such. It has a beautiful grain similar to oak with a greenish cast to it

drobertson

boat paddles is another use,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

submarinesailor

I had a Sassafras that blew down and when we went to have it milled, before I purchased a mill, my BIL told me it was the largest one he had ever seen.  He is a register forestry and has curxed timber all over the place east of the Mississippi.  Always, it is a kitchen in Fiarmont, WV now.  A very nice looking kitchen if I may say so.

Bruce

DDobbs

Save what you can't make lumber it is GREAT in the BBQ grill/smoker.

Makes great turning blanks also, I just sold a finished Sassafras bowl yesterday.
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

Cedarman

About 20 years ago, I purchased a couple of 20" x 10'.  Sawed into lumber and they became the cabinets and wood work for our bathrooms and shower room. Gorgeous wood.  The logs sawed down to a 2" x 3" all clear no rot.  Best sassafras I have ever seen.
We split the 6" to 8" x 10' into split rails.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

timberjackrob

my grandpa always wanted sassafras for cattle racks on his old ton truck they were very strong and also very light which was good as we would remove the racks to haul tobacco and other things.it would also make good tobacco sticks and was rot resistant.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

SwampDonkey

Sassafras looks very much like ash, more than it does oak. When you key the two out by grain it comes down to sassafras and white ash. The main difference being odor from sass and high luster in the ash when plained.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

saxon0364

Quote from: rooster 58 on December 02, 2012, 09:27:01 AM
Hi Millstead,
                 Here in Pa. sasafrass is used to make rustic furniture, especially chairs, tables, benches, picture frames and such. It has a beautiful grain similar to oak with a greenish cast to it

It does look like oak when finished. Theirs a guy in Cooperstown that makes molding with sassafras and it is nice looking stuff..
Nothing wrong with quiet.

Thank You Sponsors!