iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cut speed?

Started by NorCal Steve, August 17, 2014, 10:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

dean herring

Customsawyer, I am new at this sawmilling as I am just clearing a mill site. Having never ran a mill before I appreciate your time and to put that video out. I did not know you had such a big operation very nice. The Forum is full of info for beginners like me, thanks to all for you willing to share you knowledge.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

4x4American

Thanks Custom Sawyer for the upload.  I was under the influence of sawing from the small end always.  At least that's what I've read on here.  Have you found that it makes any difference what end you saw from?
Boy, back in my day..

ncsawyer

I like to always cut from the big end as Custom Sawyer is doing in his video.  For me it's easier to judge where to begin cutting.  If I start on the small end I will sometime make my first cut too deep and waste some wood on the big end.  It also keeps you from having to travel half way down the log before you can start cutting.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

4x4American

I was having a problem with a blade deflection upon entrance, and I was advised to saw from small end first to help with that issue.  I still don't understand how it would matter!
Boy, back in my day..

ncsawyer

Quote from: 4x4American on March 07, 2015, 08:45:26 PM
I was having a problem with a blade deflection upon entrance, and I was advised to saw from small end first to help with that issue.  I still don't understand how it would matter!

I wouldn't think it would matter either.   But I have noticed that on but cut logs blade defection can be an issue due to stress in the but end of the log.  In my experience,  I hardly ever have had a blade deflection issue when sawing the small end first.  Again,  I would prefer to saw big end first, but sometimes a customer will load the log"backwards".
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

4x4American

Ahh icic.  Yes that would make sense to me with a butt log
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

When sawing some logs with large knots, the blade may tend to rise with the upward facing spike knot.  Sawing from the small end, you enter the knot from the crotch, so less tendency to ride up.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on March 07, 2015, 09:33:29 PM
When sawing some logs with large knots, the blade may tend to rise with the upward facing spike knot.  Sawing from the small end, you enter the knot from the crotch, so less tendency to ride up.

Just what I was going to say. But you beat me to it MM  :D :D :D
The other thing is if the blade rides up it's dull and I don't care from what end I start from. :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

Thanks yawl!

That makes sense.  Someone should take all of this great info from all over the FF and make it into a book.
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 07, 2015, 09:43:09 PMThe other thing is if the blade rides up it's dull and I don't care from what end I start from. :D :D :D :D
So true.    smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Quote from: 4x4American on March 07, 2015, 09:54:26 PMSomeone should take all of this great info from all over the FF and make it into a book.
We is da book.   :D

customsawyer

In the video I was cutting 12"X12"X36' timbers. If I can get a board that is 3.5" wide and 5' long it goes in the lumber stack and I get to charge for it. If you are watching the video I make several short boards before I make a full length cut. If I was sawing from the small end I would have to carry them all the way back. ;) Another reason for sawing from the big end on these logs is due to the butt swell on them. If it passes through the mill on this end I don't end up half way down the log and get the mill stuck. There is more compression wood in the butt end of the logs that will want to make blades ride up a little at the start of a cut but it only starts to happen once the blade is loosing its edge.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!