iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

grand fir post and beams

Started by snowman, December 31, 2006, 07:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowman

Spent all last summer salvaging lumber from beetle trees  making 6x6 and 8x8s for house i'mgoing to start next summer. I get funny looks from people when i tell them im building with grand fir. Doug fir and larch are the only thing people seem to use out west but in the timber strength table, grand fir runs a close second. Is there something im missing here or is this just a local bias?

Max sawdust

Hello,
I no nothing about grand fir, it could be just a local bias against it, or the timber could be prone to movement as it dries or a myriad of other bad qualities.
Hopefully someone experienced with it will chime in on the subject.  If nothing else build a small project with it and see if you like it's properties ;)

I am not sure what methods you plan to build with, but for traditional timber framing 6x6 in softwood is a too small for many members.  My suggestion would be to design the house draw up plans get them approved then cut the timbers. 

Good luck with your project.
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

kderby

Hi Snowman,

I am milling Engleman spruce which is unusual down here and gets the same raised eyebrow as grand fir.  I know an experienced log home builder that used "true fir" in his personal home and it is doing fine.  He is down in Caldwell, ID.  He got a superb price on superb wood so he used it.  I know also that true fir can be part of the mix in a SPF (spruce, pine, fir) unit of stud material.  However, it is common to see white and grand fir trees with extensive decay.  Your salvage material may already have more decay than you wanted? 

There are subtleties that go beyond the strength tables and college research notes.  You and I know that grand Fir will burn in a wood stove and produce similar BTU's to pine.  We also know that it rots in the woodpile, burns cool and leaves a lot of ash.  No one cuts grand fir for firewood except for city folk and fools the National Park Service transfered in. 

If I were going to use in in a home, I would place the timbers in the driest of locations (interior floor joists?) or use the material where I could replace it when it began to fail (exterior porch cover). 

You can buck conventional wisdom if you are desperate or especially enlightened.  Often there is a reason the "wisdom " is so conventional.

Have fun Milling!

KD

Thank You Sponsors!