iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cause of wind shake in Hemlock

Started by Sawyerfortyish, June 22, 2002, 05:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

I know what you mean about the game wardens not knowing whats going on we had fall turkey season small game fall bow for deer black powder and extended bow season all at the same time it didn't matter what weapon you picked up you could go hunt with it.
 Here in N.J.we have a bad bear problem. The states bear program ran out of money 10 years ago and nobodys keeping track. Bears here have the highest survival rate in the US here this week alone I seen 4 bear 3 with cubs and that was just beside my driveway.We need some kind of controll since the do gooder and anti's wont allow bear hunting.Our problem is that the city people that never get in the woods out number us that have to put up with the bear >:( I don't mind when they cross my lawn we have to watch our 4 kids it's when they stand up and look in your window or come on the deck when they cross the line :-X. On another note two mountain lions were spoted this spring in near by town. Whats next? ::) ;D

Jeff

At least put in something about the *DanG bears shaking the hemlocks. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodmills1

The hemlock I get is from north of here and maybe 20% has shake.  hey sawyer 40 I grew up in Newton went to high school there till 1969.  I also worked for the YCC at thunder mountain in 1976.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DanG

Sorry, Jeff.  I wouldn't know a Hemlock if your whupped my butt with one. Never seen one, that I know of. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Sawyerfortyish

Ok Jeff right now were cutting hemlock on state fish and game land even the smaller hemlock are shook probably from people trembleing after being chased up them by a  BEAR :D :D 8)
   Does wind shake in white pine heal over a period of time?I cut one a while ago that was full of sap around a shake in the log. :)
Woodmills1 thats a little before my time as I was 7 years old in 1969 I bet you would be lost in Newton today it has really grown and changed  ;D

Ron Wenrich

There isn't any way for the shake to heal.  The only place with growing tissue is the cambial layer in the inner bark.

Pitch may have settled in the shake.  I have never seen pitch pool in white pine.  Pitch pine is quite another story.  I've seen it ooze from the board.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodmills1

I have seen pitch run out of white pine when I cut through a crotch.  It is amazing how much nice lumber can be cut from some crotch sections.  I call them a "pair of pants" two nice legs and a crotch.  other than that I have only seen small pockets of pooled pitch.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Don P

Hey Woodmills, I did YCC in NC in '76, Umstead and Mt Mitchell.
My understanding of shake in hemlock is it is a slow moving bacterial infection that comes up from the roots. If the land had cows on it infection is guaranteed. Thats why the butt log or even just the lower part of the butt log is bad. If you've ever wondered about the tall stumps in old logging photos, I was told the old loggers didn't know bacteria from rocketships they just knew to cut above the funky wood.

Ron Wenrich

I was always figured the tall stumps were for ease of cutting.  You get above the stump swell, and you don't have to bend over to use your misery whip.

Hemlock lumber was a by product in the old days.  The prized part of the hemlock was the bark.  They used that for the tannic acid for tanning hides.  That's why you see mountains of peeled logs.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!