iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ford transmission

Started by snowstorm, January 16, 2012, 07:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

my good ole 97 f250 diesel after 15 yrs and 175000 miles. decided it was time for a little trans trouble. it would sometimes get confussed and didnt know what gear it should be in or act as if it was in netural. might do it once every 2 or 3 months then be fine. so finally it flashed a code on the od lite on the shifter. scaned it says speed sensor on the rear end. all is fine for a week then dose it again. checked wirring from sensor to dash cluster all good. the problem is in the dash cluster . if the speedo dose not work the trans gets confussed. may not be a common problem but it dose happen. only problem is ford no longer makes them. so the moral of the story is trans trouble isnt always as it seems and sometimes isnt expensive

tractorhal

I have a fried that was a mechanic for years at Ford. Will check with him. Vaguely remember talking about this, I think it has to do with the spacing of sensor to ring gear?? Wil Check tomorrow if better ans. not here.

snowstorm

already checked that all is fine there. its in the dash cluster. speed sensor feeds the computer in the dash cluster that feeds ecm. took it out put it back in for now it shifts fine. will look for a used one since new is no longer made

oldseabee

I had similar problem with my 99 F250, speedometer didn't work, odometer kept racking up the miles but the speedomter needle wouldn't move. Dealer wanted $500 for a new cluster (Can't just replace speedometer) and $200 to put it in, I got a used cluster for $100 and the dealer put it in, works fine now. Just had to put a letter with the title indicating the change in the mileage reading. When I sell it or trade it the new owner has to be notified of the change or you are in violation of Federal law.

Bobus2003

Quote from: oldseabee on January 16, 2012, 11:23:54 PM
I had similar problem with my 99 F250, speedometer didn't work, odometer kept racking up the miles but the speedomter needle wouldn't move. Dealer wanted $500 for a new cluster (Can't just replace speedometer) and $200 to put it in, I got a used cluster for $100 and the dealer put it in, works fine now. Just had to put a letter with the title indicating the change in the mileage reading. When I sell it or trade it the new owner has to be notified of the change or you are in violation of Federal law.

When I got a new Engine Installed in my '06 F350, Ford Offered to Reset the Odometer back to zero so i could keep track of mileage on the New engine.. I declinded, But a few months later had it in cause my Fuel gauge quit working, When Ford got the new cluster, they programmed the miles for 15K less than what was actually on the truck.. I sold the truck with 85K actual miles, but only 70K showing. I just kept my mouth shut...lol

oldseabee

Rules vary from state to state. In Georgia the mileage is listed on the title at transfer, so when I sell the buyer will see 291000 on the title and 149000 on the speedometer, he could go after me for fraud if I don't explain the difference, and if he does a Carfax it might show up there. Just a little CYA. Engine was rebuilt about 55000 miles ago and I bought from the shop that rebuilt it.

chevytaHOE5674

This is why the transmission should be shifted by the driver not some computer.  :D

tractorhal

Checked with friend that was Ford mechanic. The sensor in rear end effects the shift and speedometer. Early models have only one sensor, newer have one on tailshaft also. He says sensor bad. He no longer has access to computer but thinks the ohms reading should be 8-11,000 ohms. May find more on u tube.

oldseabee

I forgot to mention that my truck is a 6 speed manual. Just had problem with speedometer so had to replace the whole cluster.

Thank You Sponsors!