iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

band saw mill project

Started by Vautour, January 13, 2019, 07:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vautour

Hi Guys...first time on FF... tks Jeff for info on how to post ....just posting my homemade band saw pics (work in progress)

the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Vautour.  I am seeing some mighty heavy duty fabrication with your build and I will be interesting to follow along. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Vautour

.... Tks MagicMan....will post more pics  in a few weeks as project progress.. working on the raising and lowering of the head at the present
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

All I can offer is encouragement. I am not a builder and if I was,by the looks of things,encouragement would be all that I would still offer!!
That sure does look good. Looks like you have done this a couple times. :D
Welcome to the forum and good luck with that timber frame camp.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Darrel

Welcome, and I also will be following along. Not only on this build but also on the timber framing after the mill is finished. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Hilltop366

Welcome, nice work.

Wondering what the wheels are from? 

Crusarius

what do you have for the up and down guides? just steel on steel?

Looks sweet. How many offroad toys have you built?

Vautour

Crusarius..... I machined some Teflon inserts on my rails... rails are 2 1/2"X1/4"...
 HillTop366... got the wheel at a local scrap yard $50 each... not sure what they were used for??...I'm thinking about putting a 1 1/2"blade!! hopefully i'll get feedback on this.. tks for the comments..much apreciated thumbs-up

Southside

A couple things come to mind on your band wheels. First are they rated for the RPM you need to run them at? Most bands run at 5200 or so FPM for reference, you can reverse engineer your RPM from there.

The second thing I see is that material on the wheels is going to wear causing issues with tracking and tension, but more so when a band breaks and tears into it you will have a problem that can't be fixed in two minutes. 

The build looks great, and I am not a machineist, just my opinion on the wheels from a guy who runs a mill. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tom the Sawyer

I'm not a builder but I too would be concerned about the wheel material holding up.  What will you do when a broken band takes out a chunk of the surface - it will probably happen.  

It appears that they are about 1 3/4" wide and you mentioned trying to run a 1.5" blade.  Remember that there needs to be room for the set of the teeth to clear the wheel, usually by tracking on the forward side of the wheel (1.25" blade on a 1" wide wheel).  

The other concern is that wider blades may be made from thicker stock, .055?  Those wheels appear to be on the small side, maybe 16" diameter.  To get 5200 fpm, they'll need to run at about 2500 rpm.  A 19" diameter wheel only need to run at 2100 rpm.  Not only does a smaller wheel need to run faster, it also means 20% more flex cycles within the same period of time.  Smaller wheel + thicker band stock = significantly reduced band life. 
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Vautour

tks for the replies guy.... I will be adding a rubber band over the Teflon so the blade never touches the Teflon.. and the rubber band can be changed just like a V belt... wheel sizes are actually 21"... hopefully that won't be a major problem... thanks again :)

Southside

If possible I would test run that set up before you build everything around it, a few have tried those orange "band saw tires" and the results have not been good.  Also, when bands break they do so in very creative ways, they will jamb behind wheels, into the covers, out the dust chute, they will cut V belts and even drive belts so just be prepared.
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Ljohnsaw

Are they urethane or rubber?  Pretty tough stuff?  Since you have such a nice lathe able to swing that wheel, I'd suggest cutting a V groove into it (just like a pulley) and mounting up the equivalent of a B57 belt (will depend on the final diameter).  That would give you the crown you need for teeth relief and tracking, and a tough, cheap and easy to replace belt.  The B57 belts fit loose on the WM mills which allows them to throw off any sawdust build up.

Calculate your necessary RPM for your mill and run them up to 20 or 30% over that on your lathe and see if the yellow tread holds up.  Might want to put up a guard around the head! ;)
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Darrel

Those wheels being almost 2" wide would accommodate a band 2½" wide, maybe even 3". The tooth, including the bottom of the gullet needs to extend out beyond the edge of the wheel.  By time you do that with a 1½" blade on these wheels, you will be using well under ½ the width of your wheel. I'm not sure how well that will work or what problems if any it will cause. Who knows, it may work just fine and when one side of the wheels wear out you could turn them around. If it were me, I'd look into it. 
1992 LT40HD

Crusarius

Thanks for the info Vatour, that is going to be a monster when you finish it. What are you planning for cut width / blade length?

Looks pretty sexy to.

Vautour

Hi Guys.... Posted last night but didn't go thru?...Southside..  I will spin theses wheel on the lathe again at a higher speed  ..Safety is priority..    Ljohnsaw..they are a tough glued on urethane so im pretty confident they will hold!! had though about doing the V belt thing but cutting the V grove would have cut the urethane in two pieces and weaken up the Teflon.....Darrel.. if I can.. 2"would be great which means I could cut faster right??..it all depends on the width of the rubber bands I will on the install over the Teflon...(auto.serpentine belt) perhaps!!...Crusarius  I've got 51" between the rails and blade length is just under 18' .. losta 4 feet dia. trees aroud here.. thumbs-up 

Crusarius

Sweet. would love to make a road trip up that way and see this thing some day.

Darrel

There are advantages to wider bands for sure, speed is one and less tendency for wandering being another.  Cost, however, is not an advantage. If you are going to be into high production than go wide and a bit thicker, say .065" - .070". Heck, you might even be able to do something a bit radical and get a 3" wide band with teeth on both sides and cut going both ways. From your pictures it looks like you have the skills needed to pull something like that off. 
1992 LT40HD

Vautour

Crusarius      I belive you did ask me about my off road toys??.. here's my First gen. Cummins project I'm working on (next winter's project)..saw mill got priority....Darrel... tks for the info... on my 21'' wheel I think the best thickness would be around .045".. as far as I've read... gonna check out prices on 2" and 2.5" blades soon.... now as far as a double side toothed blade..hmmm headscratch

Al_Smith

I gotta say that's a heavy duty Judy .I don't think anything is going to bend .Lookin good . ;D

Crusarius

aha. I knew by the cage work on the mill you had to have something :)

Nice toys.

Southside

I like the idea of a double cut mill, always have, has anyone seen how the boards are removed from a horizontal double cut mill?  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Crusarius

I was very intrigued with the idea but was trying to figure out a way to do it with 2 blades. Wasn't really working out in my head so I gave up.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Southside logger on January 17, 2019, 10:19:00 AM
I like the idea of a double cut mill, always have, has anyone seen how the boards are removed from a horizontal double cut mill?  
I would say like you normally do with a manual mill, to the side.  Or, use a drag back that takes two boards at the same time.  i.e. cut forward, drop, cut backward bringing first board back, drop cut forward, drop, cut backward bringing two boards back...
John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!