iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TEACHING SON

Started by Bogue Chitto, February 20, 2012, 10:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogue Chitto

This weekend spent with son teaching him how to run the LT40 HD. He is 14 and likes to do it.  It is better than hauling lumber.  I was a nervous wreck, just new he would hit iron.  I stood behind him the whole time telling him what button or lever to work.  All in all he did a good job.  Might let him go solo next week. ::)

Cedarman

Best he hit iron while you are not there.  The terrible sound and the ruined blade will be a great education.  Will make him paranoid for a while and it should be a good bit before he hits it again.
I bet he will do a fine job.  Youngsters have a way of learning those things.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Chuck White

If he acts like he is genuinely interested, then most likely he'll do just fine.
Of course you're more nervous than he is!  ;)

If you really want to get nervous, try teaching a 13 y/o grandson to run a chainsaw.  That was me yesterday.  :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

I did the chainsaw thing with my son,  he was 14 or 15 at the time.  Best lesson you can show them is that YOU
put on your safety gear every time, before you start.   

Best DGDrls

Papa1stuff

Nothing to do with sawmills or chain saws ,but I got pretty nervous when when the instructor teaching my son to fly in our cesna150,got out of the plane (with my Son only having 6 hrs of training and 16 years old )and he took off by himself air_plane smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sweat_drop
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Dave VH

I spend a lot of time in the woodshop with my boys (now 8 and 10).  I just show them my scares and remind them that saws cut flesh a lot easier than wood.  I also remind them the cost of everything and relate that to how many video games that would buy,  that's what really got through to them
I cut it twice and it's still too short

POSTON WIDEHEAD

14 ? Not bad. My son is 9 and I show him a few things every now and then. By the time he's 16, I hope he'll be able to stand behind me and tell me what buttons and levers to use.  :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

Anything with a joy stick and the kids will do fine.Its the hardest thing for a sawyer, especially a circular sawyer,to watch someone else run his mill, kinda like a strange man with your wife. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Migal

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 20, 2012, 05:49:11 PM
14 ? Not bad. My son is 9 and I show him a few things every now and then. By the time he's 16, I hope he'll be able to stand behind me and tell me what buttons and levers to use.  :D :D :D :D :D
:) for some reason we are a lot a like in ways but for now I'll not have but one button to push photo quickset  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Brucer

Quote from: Bogue Chitto on February 20, 2012, 10:11:58 AM
....  I was a nervous wreck, just new he would hit iron.  ...

When I first hired Mary, my part time helper, I put her in the Cat loader, showed her how the controls worked, and told her to drive it around the log yard. After she had some fun doing that, I coached her in the principles of picking up logs safely and  told her to move a few of the shorter logs around. When she was done I had a little talk with her ...

Me: "Mary, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you heck."
Mary (confused):"Why? What for?"
Me: "For knocking over that pile of lumber."
Mary (looking all around  the yard): "I didn't knock over any pile of lumber."
Me: "No, but you will. So now that I've already given you heck for it, you don't have to worry about it anymore."

She turned out to be a DanG fine helper and a very good equipment operator. And, yes, she did eventually knock over a pile of lumber, and restacked it all when she thought I wasn't looking ;).

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Bogue Chitto

I like that one Brucer.  smiley_swinging_board

b

jdtuttle

I taught my 21 year old daughter to mill with our LT40HD & she does a pretty good job. The only problem is she wears me out  ;) now that I have to off load the lumber & sticker & stack. Careful what you teach your kids.
jim
Have a great day

Dodgy Loner

I remember when Dad and I got the LT-15. We got a lot of practice changing blades the first month. I think we each hit iron at least twice, but none since then. It's gonna happen, so go easy on him when it does :D.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Bogue Chitto

I will go easy on him D L .  I know we all hit iron when we first start out.   :)

GAB

Gentlemen:
I must be a slow learner.  In 7 years I hit the first log stop 3 times.
That was 3 blades I did not have to make a decision on whether to resharpen or not.
Remember if you don't do nothing you won't break anything.  Won't get much accomplished either.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

woodmills1

It is not your mill till you hit iron and run the log offen the wrong side   :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

dail_h

Friend of mine,, hangs out here,, schoolteacher,,, wants me to saw out cabin for him . helps around mill when sawin blockin. told him the other day to go ahead n saw some,,,,hadda walk away ,,or he wouldnt of got anything done. did ok too,,,no metal,,,,yet  ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

bandmiller2

I hit the steel upright once with my homebuilt bandmill,fissed me off so I modified the back band guide.I made a piece that will hit the upright before the band and ether stop the carriage or push the upright down enough to pass.Tip, on your bandmill make a mark on your gauge strip where you can safely pass over the uprights,before you make a cut glance at the pointer if your over the mark your safe,if not check. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sawmillhand

8) man that awesome as you can see from my picture my son is 7 and i let him run the mill with me standing there watching him. he really done a great job. i am glad to see so many dads on here spending time and passing there knowledge on to there sons. GREAT JOB.
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Bump

Been there done that with heavy equipment and machinery as I had grown up did the same with my children. Be mindful of state child labor laws can find yourself in court do to anyone reporting you. It turns real serious and a problem in a blink be mindful of any pictures net posted and verbiage that could put you in a legal battle with child services. To people that have no clue we can be seen as unfit and abusive. Just a heads up.

Bert

I watched my dad saw for years on our circle mill. I was the dedicated off bearer. One day he got hurt (not related to sawmilling) and I took over. We were off and running day 1. 8 years of watching him and it was like second nature.
Saw you tomorrow!

beenthere

Bert
You had all the sights and sounds under your belt (and in your head) which is a big leg up when running the sawmill (or about any machine for that matter).

The sound of a circle mill is hard to beat.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Migal

Now that I'm over the hill (50) and my Grandfather (wonderful Man past now) had me on a tractor since I was 5 yr's old Guess that's why I had no problem buying a sawmill now that I have grand children that I hope to be just as Grand to !!!  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

POSTON WIDEHEAD

52 is the new 42. You're not over the hill.   :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Migal

Well I must admit I've really enjoyed Life, and plan on the rest being family time and working with the simpler side of things  8) and yes I can still dance LOL I think  :-\

Thank You Sponsors!