iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you use synthetic oil in your mill?

Started by caveman, February 20, 2012, 09:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

I am curious to know what those of you with mills, especially those with a lot of hours on them, are using for engine oil.  Caveman
Caveman

Nomad

I use synthetic oil in my equipment (once it's fully broken in) because in my opinion that's one of the best things you can do to ensure long life.  I also use the best oil filters I can get.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

bandmiller2

Nomad nailed it,after breakin go synthetic,for most air cooled bandmill engines, the quantity of oil used does not warrent using anything but the best.Easier cold start is anouther advantage.Air cooled engines tend to run hot and dry in the head and valves,don't be afrade of a little chainsaw mix in the gas along with marine stable. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

jcbrotz

Yes! Amsoil but I run it in everthing I own. Why because I like it ;D :D  Try it and you will to.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

JMoore

I am going to in my mill when it's time to change it. I know this fellow that uses it in an old suburban since it was new and it's got like 300,000 miles and he still would take it anywhere!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

caveman

I'm glad to hear that some of you are using synthetic with good results.  I have been running it in my mowers, JD gator, and the Suburban that JMoore mentioned.  Hopefully our Kohler on the Lt 28 will last a long time on synthetic oil.  Caveman
Caveman

Nomad

Just a note.  Don't start using synthetic oil before the engine is well broken in!  If you do, the rings will never seat right 'cause the oil is just too slick.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

DeepWoods

Just curious, what is considered well broken in?  How many hours on the engine before using synthetic?  I will be doing the routine maintenance on my mill soon and would consider synthetic if my engine is ready for it.
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

Nomad

DeepWoods, I started using synthetic in my LM2000 with the 23 horse Briggs at about 60 hours.  That may have been a bit premature.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!