iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 150

Started by OddInTheForrest, August 15, 2019, 11:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OddInTheForrest

This thread sure derailed, but what a great historylesson !

It sure is interesting from my point of view to see how far people where able to travel to make a new life i olden days, and how incredibly facinated I am by the knowledge that people here have of their ancestry. And always fun to see pictures from days gone by.

In my family, we had a few who went to the states in the 1950's and 60's, but they came home after a few years. My father has a picture of one of his uncles at home. His uncle worked as a highway patrol policeman, and is sat on a pretty nice Harley motorcycle with a full uniform in the picture. I know it was a big thing in our village when the kids ( my fathers generation) saw the picture, as he had a handgun as part of the uniform. This was scary, as police in Norway dont carry guns, even today ;)

sawguy21

My mother's ancestors emigrated from Norway to Wisconsin sometime around 1820 then to South Dakota then back to Wisconsin. My grandfather worked his way west and landed in Alberta where he met his future bride, an American of German descent.
One group of Norwegians founded the community of Hagensborg on the B.C. coast where they logged and farmed. It was very isolated and the timber was huge but they found a way to make it work. I find this stuff fascinating.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Quote from: OddInTheForrest on August 17, 2019, 11:16:59 AM
This thread sure derailed, but what a great historylesson !

It sure is interesting from my point of view to see how far people where able to travel to make a new life i olden days, and how incredibly facinated I am by the knowledge that people here have of their ancestry. And always fun to see pictures from days gone by.

In my family, we had a few who went to the states in the 1950's and 60's, but they came home after a few years. My father has a picture of one of his uncles at home. His uncle worked as a highway patrol policeman, and is sat on a pretty nice Harley motorcycle with a full uniform in the picture. I know it was a big thing in our village when the kids ( my fathers generation) saw the picture, as he had a handgun as part of the uniform. This was scary, as police in Norway dont carry guns, even today ;)
You are the OP of this thread so I thought it was only fitting to share a Norwegian history lesson.  :)
My Grandfather returned to Norway for the first and last time in 1969 for a visit since leaving the country in 1905. My Grandmother said he kissed the ground when they got off the plane and it wasn't for a rough flight.
Norwegians no matter where they end up are very patriotic to their home soil and will hold on to customs and virtues as long as they can through into their family tree. 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

OddInTheForrest

Very true. I think we tend to keep our ways and customs for many many generations ;)

Caloren

In 2010 we attended a family reunion in Saskatchewan and there were people there from Australia as well as The US, Canada, and Norway. These were family members from one farm, Foss, near Sand in Rogaland, Norway.
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

livemusic

Quote from: lxskllr on August 15, 2019, 02:59:28 PM
I keep a 2511t in my truck for quick stuff at work, and easy transport, both in tree and out. I like the top handle cause it has maximum compactness, and I can hang it on my pistol belt while traveling in the woods. That has 3/8lp chain, which is my preference for small saws. It cuts sufficiently well, sharpens easily, and chain is very easy to get. 1/4" chain is better for people who want maximum smoothness and/or fine detail. eg arborists doing technical pretty work, and chainsaw carvers. If it's only available in 1/4", that would be enough for me to take a pass.
I own a 2511t, bought it for building/maintaining trails. Awesomely light. Interesting that you comment as above about bar/chain and I note that it seems everybody is wanting to go to something different on the 2511t. Such as 1/4 inch Stihl setup. I dunno, still breaking mine in.

Heck, I just bought a chainsaw backpack and then I see your post above. Can you shed more light on exactly how you carry this on a belt? I don't know "pistol belts," I have pistols but no belt, lol. What type of belt, and what type of hook gizmo? A chainsaw on a belt is sure more convenient that a backpack for short walks.

Back to topic, ms150... BTW, before I got the little Echo, I was quite enamored with the Stihl 150. I have a rear-handle ms200 and it's great. But the little 150, even smaller? That had my attention. Then Echo comes out with the 2511t, even lighter weight and I was all in for that. I think I have read that the Echo is stronger? It would be interesting to find out which one would win if ported. The ms150, now, that is a beautiful saw, maybe the best looking saw ever!

Also, Echo has a rear-handle 2511. Not in USA yet to my knowledge. Adds a little weight to it, mabye 0.5 lbs?
~~~
Bill

lxskllr

It's a military gear belt. Heavy nylon webbing. I have two. My main work belt has two magazine pouches, a small generic nylon pouch, canteen case, and a hammer loop. My recon/backcountry belt has a canteen case, and a entrenching tool case. It also gets a machete lashed to it with paracord.

To your question... I just have a piece of paracord tied to the belt, and a toy carabiner clipped to it. I hang the saw from the biner. Last week, I used a backpack, and had the biner on the left packstrap, and hung the saw from that. That freed up my right side for the brushcutter and harness. I kept water, fuel, bar oil, and a MRE in the pack, as well as misc maintenance tools.

OddInTheForrest

Sand is just a 2 hour drive away from where I live!

OddInTheForrest

As far as the 2511 go, as far as I can understand, it would seem that the 150 and 2511 are built after the same idea. Less than 30cc saws, ligth and compact both of them. I have just held the 2511t and rearhandle modell in a shop here, never tried them.

Thank You Sponsors!