iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

emerald ash borer

Started by 9shooter, May 25, 2004, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9shooter

I saw a Michigan state van on my road this afternoon. The decale on the side identified it as an emerald ash borer survey vehicle. I waved them down and asked them if they had found anything in my neck of the woods and they replied to the negative. However in our conversation they told me that in China after the borer killed all the ash trees it went to killing the maple trees. That is very bad news. I don't see how anybody is going to beat this plague.  >:( If this is true, it sure sucks!!!!!
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

Jeff

Did ya catch the name of the dudes in the survey vehicle? I know at least one out there.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

AtLast

DOnt get to upset YET...they...MSU Extension.....found that the EAB did lay eggs on other species BUT they DID NOT TAKE....the EAB DOES have cousins...2 other types of the same beetle...1 DOES eat maple and the other eats anything...but the 1 that WE have is only...so far to MSU experiments...takes to ash

Emrldashbr

Don't be too concerned the EAB didn't kill all of the ash trees in China but the population of ash and EAB has come to relate closely.  Being that the insect is native to their area a number of controls have evolved over time to keep the balance.  Unfortunately since EAB is new to the US we don't have the controls or balance and we don't really want to wait several hundred or thousands of years to let our system evolve to where their's is.
New exotic pest to watch for Phytopthora Ramorum.

Thank You Sponsors!