iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Extended Spring Breakup

Started by chet, February 07, 2003, 04:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

I talked with a couple of buddies last night that work with our local County Road  Commission. The county monitors frost depths in local roads, right now it is over 12 feet and still dropping.  :o  It looks like we are in for a very long breakup.  :'(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

J_T

Think ours here in Tn is about 4in .Please don't share. :D
Jim Holloway

Tom

I think ours here in Florida is up in Tennessee somewhere. :D

Ron Scott

We don't look forward to that spring "break-up" period though we do have quite a bit of snow here right now. The truckers are having a hard time getting the wood out as the haul roads keep filling in.  

Chet, Have you ever attended any of the Logger's Spring Break-Up parties up there?
~Ron

chet

Ron, I've been to one or two.  ;)  I'll bet the ones years ago where a little rougher on a guy, after having been in a logging camp all winter.   ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

dan-l-b

:o Twelve Feet!! Thats amazing. :o :o There is very little frost in the woods or in soddy areas here in Missouri.  We are actually dry 12"- 16" down.  Still able to do excavating.  AMAZING!! :o

chet

The Canucks are sending down the coldest air of the season for us this coming week.   ::)   Still a ways till March.

Jeff

Chet, my board piler is on his way to iron river for a week to visit friends. I could kick myself for not remembering to ask who he was going to stay with. If you run into a guy that is driving a white extended cab chevy pickup and has a big sandy colored lab with him named cedar, thats my friend Dan Smith from our Mill.

If you see him, tell him we hired a 90 lb teenager with a double hairlip to replace him. Its working out well, he can do twice the work and we can understand him when he talks. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Jeff, I'm in Friutport this weekend visiting one of my sons. We just got back from Menards, Ya-No I think I seen your new piler while we where there  ;D. Ya got to let me know who your buddy went to see, IR's not that big.

CHARLIE

With the little or no snow cover we have had in Tropical Minnesota and all the below zero weather we've been getting, I imagine the frost line is pretty DanG deep here too. Sometimes I wish all us United Statesians (is that a word?) could all turn on some big fans and blow all the cold air back up to Canada where it came from. I think that is their passive way of attacking us good folks here in the U.S.   ;D :o
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

chet

Maybe we should send dem Canukes some warm air and teach um a lesson.  8)    8)    8)    8)

Bro. Noble

Chet,

Maybe that's just what their wanting------I have this picture in my mind of Brer Rabbit saying " please don't throw me in the briar patch,eh" :D

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Paul_H

I know for a fact that Ottawa generates large amounts of hot air.The Parliment Buildings trap most of it inside  ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

chet

Maybe somebuddy should sneak in and open a few windows.   :D

Ed_K

Here in western Ma, theres no frost in the woods, plow the snow of and its 3 to 4 feet down.
Ed K

Jeff

Chet Dan is staying with or someone having to do with these two people I found out.

The first is the woman that used to run or own Ski Brule. Apparently the ex of the guy that still runs it??

The other name I got was Rich Herpala.

Any connection?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Nope can't say as I do. The Ex still owns the hill, he's also a local attorney in town. Can't make a connection  with Rich either.

Ron Scott

Steve Polich owns Ski Brule and has for a long time. I know him well.
~Ron

chet

Ron, actually Steve did not own the hill property itself until recently only the business. Sheridan Hill as it is referred to was owned by Tony Andreski, and the homestead portion was owned by Charley Oldberg.

Ron Scott

Chet, that's right. Tony Andreski owned the Ski Brule hill (Sheridan Hill) property and Charlie Oldberg the connecting Homestead property, and Steve Polich owns the ski and resort business and properties. There also was an interim owner Norm Hammond, between the Polichs' George and Steve who later owned the Proschs (sp) Lumber Company there, no longer in existence.

Tony Andreski, the largest timber landowner in Iron County, recently passed away in the Iron County Care Facility. I helped in a lot of the development of Ski Brule over the years and planned the entire Homestead Ski area for the Polichs' when they finally obtained access to the property for the adjoining Homestead ski area.

They were going to tear down the old log homestead buildings and I had them retore them into the ski lodge, fast food facility etc. there now. It has a lot of logging camp memorbilia insde. I also laid out the lift lines, ski slopes, and did a lot of flying over the area during the planning stages with old time pilot Bob Loo who recently died in the plane crash up there.

I have a lot of memories to Ski Brule, Tony Andreski, the Polichs' etc from 1956 to now. The area has really grown since its first T-Bar lift and single lodge in 1956. Even a new "highway" into it.

Tony Andreski and now his son Blaze have some excellent properties.
~Ron

chet

Ron, Tony Andreski was my godfather. As a kid I use to follow an old logging road behind Charlies back to fish Wheeler Dam on the Brule River. I also remember passing remains of the old logging camp on my way in.

Ron Scott

Chet,
Have you visited the Homestead area lately to note the restoration? I should get some pictures from there. We need to get together for a "hike" back there this summer and down to the Brule River and Wheeler Dam.

I laid out a lot of their cross country ski trail system back there also. They also have the Sporting Clay Shooting Range back around the hill area of Ski Brule.

George Polich is the godfather of my oldest daughter. Tony was quite a guy. We "downed" a few beers together. Are you working in the woods at all now? I've been getting "blown out' down here the last couple weeks. Only about one or two days a week and they are "survival". Heavy winds and snow with low temps. again today.

~Ron

L. Wakefield

When I could decipher what my husband was saying (I had to take several runs at it), I got the information that the frost in Mass. on one of their job sites is about 30" deep and that they parted the welds on the backhoe bucket when they were trying to dig through it. Pretty impressive hydraulics, I'd say. Most equipment I've used would pop a hose before it caused metal to fail. All the frost heaves- those old enough to have names and many new young upstarts- are starting to show. Gonna be a lot of road work this year.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Thank You Sponsors!