iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I got a free log over the weekend with pics of log to lumber now

Started by hackberry jake, February 10, 2013, 07:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Over a 10' cherry log. 24" on big end, it stays about that size up to where it split into two limbs. Should be some ok crotch wood in there. It came out of a horse pasture. It looks like bugs got under the bark and killed it. Still can't beat free logs. 8)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Tree Feller

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Delawhere Jack

I dream of cherry logs like that... straight and long!

Sawdust Lover

You must be a really really nice guy! 8)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

customsawyer

I actually like you. Hope that is enough for you to bring me some cherry logs like that. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Schramm

Awesome catch!
The other day I got a call from a firewood guy that got a bunch of black walnut trees from a farmer and he started splitting it into firewood :o.  Once he realized that he was not cutting oak?!?!?!  DUH! He saw an ad that I had on craigslist looking for logs and barnwood and he called me.  He had cut up and chopped 8 large logs already but agreed not to do that anymore and gave me (8) 10' logs 14"-18" in diameter.  He then took me to the field where they cut down a straight nearly 30" dark walnut tree almost 40' in length.  I called a guy I knew that would be interested in it and he bought it.  So many guys making firewood around here for a living that do not have a clue what they are chopping up.  The guy that gave me the Black walnut should really get out of the business as he was cutting up pine firewood, now I am not in the business of firewood but I do have a fireplace and I would never burn pine in it, that is unless I wanted a chimney fire.  I do understand that there are out door burners that people burn pine in but it seems like a waste of wood better used for 2x4 material to burn since it would not last very long being a soft wood.

WDH

If being nice will get me some cherry logs like that, I am with Jake, and I take back the hateful comment  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tyb525

I got a log like that, but the crotch was split and didn't have much figure. The rest of the log made nice lumber though.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

scully

That is the stuff that dreams are made of ! Let us know how it milled up !
I bleed orange  .

Beaudeane

When y'all cut the crotch on a log like that, what cuts of lumber are u goin for mostly? Or is it something u slab & use for a bench most the time? I've seen the pretty figure of the grain in some pics but didn't know if there was a particular use for it... Just askin cause I don't know no better
Don't think of it as `gun control', think of it as `victim disarmament"

tyb525

Benches, bowls, or something they can feature the wood on. Sometimes just the wood itself is enough, like a picture.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jemclimber

Very nice, I love cherry. Great score, lets see the boards you make.
lt15

wheelinguy

We have a bunch of trees like that on our property, when we cleared for the house we milled a bunch up.  I keep a close eye on the rest and when they come down they get milled.  There is one in the woods right now that broke about two feet below the burl and the rest of the standing tree is about 18' high and I would estimate at least 24" wide or more at the base.  Nice find Jake!

Schramm, I went to  friends house the other day to give him some ideas on the black cherry wine rack he was making.  Just a few minutes into the conversation I said "Scott you do realize that's not cherry right".  He had no idea it was walnut, which is a lot harder to come by around here.  Worse than all that he was mixing pine in with it!

Harry George

Nice :) I think you should buy the land owner and the bugs a six pack
"Life is a participation sport, get in the game"

Dewey

Years ago  I had an Elm Log given to me it was Huge  I sawed 800 ' of 5/4  out of it.....  I ended up selling it for $2 per foot....  I had to pay a trucker $25 to pickit up and deliver it to me...  I wish I could do that every day  !!!!!

Ohio_Bill

Sometimes you get the Elevator and Sometimes the shaft.  You definitely got the Elevator this time.    8)
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

T Welsh

Wow you guys are sure liking these Cherry logs that are popping up here and there. I have about 20 of them sitting up in the field and no one in our area seems to have any interest in them 

I guess its where you are located and what your area has to offer,I sorted the log pile about a month or two ago and trimmed these out and set them aside for our own use. I HOARD ;D Tim

Leigh Family Farm

Tim, you keep posting pics like that and the South might rise up again against us!  :D
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

customsawyer

I know I rose up out of my seat when I saw those logs. :o
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

hackberry jake

I'll try to get you boys some pictures of the lumber this weekend. I hope it has some of that curly cherry that wdh seems to have everytime he builds something out of cherry. Some people just have all the luck  ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Hey, it was only one log, but it was a big one  ;D. 

Tree Feller

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Thank You Sponsors!