iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Splitter Fit

Started by dail_h, January 15, 2008, 01:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

Seems like everytime I post,I'm whining about something,well here goes agin. Went out this morning ,sawed up a little elm for some firewood,then went and got the splitter. Splitter hadn't been used in a coupla years,so had ta fiddle wif it a little ta git going. Drained the carb,new gas ,checked everything,a whiff of ether,and away it went. Oh wait what th? aw man now what. The stinkin thing barely moves,splits fine,just slower than dial up.. I fiddled with it some,tapped the pump and valve housing in case something was stuck ,to no avail. Plenty of oil in tank,no leaks.
   Anybody got any ideas?
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

submarinesailor

gharlan

Yes either the filter or It could have a screen on the intake side in the oil tank that is clogged. Good lick

beenthere

What's the temperature where you are at?  and .....  where you at?

Looked in your bio, and .....  zippo, nadda   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

leweee

dail....does it move slow all the time ,or only when splitting.
       If only when splitting it could be the cylinder seal.
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

mike_van

It sounds like the 2 stage pump [if thats what it has] is stuck in low. Gummed up, old oil,  maybe needs to be flushed out.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

dail_h

No filter,not sure about a screen,hafta look. Not cold enough here in NC for that to be a prob. Wonder what happened to my bio inf ? have I been deleted, or worse deceased? Should I go into the pump,or just remove the lines and try that way,yeah 2 stage. I think the little vale thingy in the pump is stuch,in low
      Volume Discount At ER

dail_h

Took pump apart this morning,nothing "appeared" broken or out of kilte. Nothing stuck ,or binding. Put it back together,splits fine................. Just still achingly slow.
   Splitter is from our friends at Northern,I've had it for years. Traced back to Barnes Hydraulics, waiting for call back from factory :( :( :( :( :(
      Volume Discount At ER

mike_van

dali, if you can do it without making [too big] a mess, take the return hose off the tank, put it in a can & fire it up - you should be able to tell if 2 gpm or 11 is coming out?  If it's really blowing out, then you have a problem with the valve or the hoses to the ram.  Somethings holding that flow back.

dail_h

The guy from barnes is going to call me right back,now 6:00pm --right back when? Called North Star back a little bit ago. The lady I talked to said the only parts they had was a seal kit,but she did have the parts digram,and would email it to me. Sure did,not the right pump :( :( :( :   
   After spending all morning out in the freezing cold messing with this thing,I took some time this afternoon for a "cogitate" by the wood heater.Results as follows
   I now believe that I found a broken thingy in the pump this morning

Nobody is likely to ever positively identify my particular pump

If tis is the broken thingy,I'm screwed on getting a replacement part

I couldn't get the pump off the motor,so here's what I did.I took the about eight bolts in the back of the pump that hold it together out. Oooops,after I disconnected the lines. That let me seoerate the pump parts. What I had was the out port,and two gears. I couldn't get the mid section of the pump apart from the front section. At this piont,I was on a sort of hunt ,and see mission,so I removed a hex cap on top of the pump. Nothing inside but a screw ,so I unscrew it,nothing,doesn't unscrew.  Take the hex cap off underneath,find a spring and plunger. More fiddling,turn the pump over ,the screw on the other side comes out. Turn back,small "slug" that fits on top of  plunger comes out.
   Now ,for what I think may be broken.  There is a dimple,or center ,or some sort of difference at the center of the slug. If this slug is in fact the valve that switches the stages ,and I now think it isbecause the seat the spring sits on is adjustable,then the screw on the top side would be to keep if dropping down,and staying in the power stage all tge time as it is now. There are no threads or anything on this screw now,and I believe that this is in fact the broken part. If it is,getting it out of the slug,and replacing it seem sorta hopeless now,as it obviously is a special part. Anybody got an idea?
      Volume Discount At ER

beenthere

Sorry to hear about the trouble, but interesting to hear about what is inside that pump.

Try Eggiman, our sponsor for some ideas.

Might be time to get a pump.... ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mike_van

dali, can you post a picture of the pump? I have a Northern [Barnes 11 gpm] one I'm about to junk for "other" reasons it might have parts in it you can use? 

dail_h

Mike,thanks,the only way I can get pics is with a film cam to disc. Will try to get them in the next coupla days
         Thanks Dail
      Volume Discount At ER

woodbowl

Did you try hitting it with a hammer?   ::)

Well ......... if it's not gonna work anyways and he can't get parts, maybe he can whack it and jar something loose.  ???
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Thank You Sponsors!