iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timbco 2520 feller / buncher

Started by Stuart Caruk, June 06, 2016, 06:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Caruk

I have the opportunity to buy a Timbco 2520 for a pretty good price. It's in fair shape. I have 2 or 3 projects totaling around 230 acres that have a bunch of old, tall maple and alders. The maple are multi stemmed, most of the alder are single stemmed. Everything is dead in the upper 30 feet or so of most of these 100' plus tall trees. Most are under 18" DBH.

Can a feller buncher reach up to the point where the stems branch out, like 10 or 15 feet or so? If they are strong leaners, can you grab the tree and cut it, the set it where you need to put it?

I've avoided cutting these trees by hand because dead branches seem to always be coming down, and the leaners are a barber chair waiting to happen. I'd rather be inside a piece of equipment.

For smaller trees, can you grab them and push them over, then lift them out with the root ball before cutting the butts off?

Would a delimber  / saw be a better option?

I have a grapple skidder to get the trees out, so that's not an issue.

I've never used a feller buncher, but I have lots of time on cats and excavators. I'm just getting too old to cart a saw all over the woods.

Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Oliver05262

What does it have on it for a head? Only one I ever worked on (the guy had a pair) had a shear, which was OK since was a clearing operation, and he chipped almost all he cut. You do lose some of the butt if you're trying to get a few logs out of the job. The shear worked well in softwood, but in hardwood, not so much.
  Rugged undercarriage; he said it was CAT D7 parts. His had 466 Deere engines and really liked the fuel. Not too bad if you can keep it cutting because it had tremedous power. The only "problem" that I remember concerned the pilot oil pressure line, because the pumps were all in the lower part, but the valves were  on top. One machine went to sleep over a weekend and pinched that pilot oil hose when it leaned over. We had ro run a hose outside to the control valve to get it straightened up again.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

BargeMonkey

Like he asked, what head is on it. ??? I started out with an 1187 shear buncher, if your not cutting high grade stuff a shear is a good head. You can reach up, all depends on slope and tree size. I did alot of work with that shear near some houses, picking apart cabbage pine 15-20ft up to get the head around it.
I would call around to who ever your local parts dealer is. I maybe wrong, but I'm under the impression some of the "engine down" timbco stuff is hard to come by. I have a 99 425 and parts are really thru a couple dealers only.

Thank You Sponsors!