iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any ideas?

Started by biziedizie, February 24, 2003, 07:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biziedizie

OK I dropped a few  trees and got most of it to the mill. I milled my lumber and framed my deck and I just finished cutting all the decking.
  Now here's my problem! The other half of one of the trees is way to heavy for my Kabota to pull out of the ravine that it's in and it's up hill to the mill.
  As there are two ponds on either side of the path that I drive on to get to the mill and the path is about 4' above the ponds I'm afraid that if I even get the log up to the pathway that there is a good chance that it might want to go sideways and pull me down with it.
  I'm very, very concerned about my safety and I never do things that can get me hurt but I do need a way of getting this log out!
  Any ideas guys?

Thanks!

Steve

Kevin

What's the distance involved?

RMay

Look in Forestry & Logging forum at Fla-Deadheader post on Florida High - Low wheel . 8)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

chet

I've gotten logs out of some purty tuff spots useing snatch blocks with either a cable or heavy rope. Are there trees that you can sling to for the snatch blocks?
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Tom

Wha's the chance of skirting the whole problem and just throwing the log in the pond and floating it across to an area where you can handle it safely? :)

biziedizie

OK I will try the forum and see what it says.
  Hey Kevin the distance is about 125' to the mill with a 15% grade up the path and a 70% grade up the side of the pond.
  Hey Chet there are no trees in front to pull to and the snatch block just pulled the tractor downhill.
  Hey Tom the pond is nearly dry as we have t-shirt weather here but that's a good thought for when we get the rain. I can't leave the log there as I will be looking at it from my new deck.
  Would it be a good idea to use it as firewood? I know I could get it out but I will not take a risk when it comes to my life.

Steve

chet

Steve, I like Tom's idea. Wait fur hy tide, toss er in da pond, git yur-self a peavey, and have one of dem old fashion log drives.  ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Fla._Deadheader

OK. Have ya even looked at the high-low wheel rig?? Only reason for the one tire is, I didn't have another tire!! :D :D
  I simply cut an old axle in two and welded it together. Read the post and it will tell ya how to load the log onto the axle. I only used a little bitty winch to move that log. I just sawed 29" boards from the log.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

Steve,
It's just one log so all the trouble you go to will be done only once.  It might be fun just to see if you can do it.

How about driving stakes on either side of the log as you pull it so that it doesn't roll sideways.  Maybe laying a 4x4 beside it would keep it form rolling.  As you progress move the 4x4 with the log.  Heck, the Egyptians did stuff like that and look what they moved. :D  I think it would be a good Idea to have two people though. ::) :)

I'll bet that if you can get something under the log so it doesn't dig in you can pull it.  Build a skidding cone.

beenthere

Now firewood is a good thought. Cut it, split it, stack it, and dry it right where it lays. Then build a fire there that you can visit in the evenings when it is nice out, or just watch the "campfire" from your new deck.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

RMay

Steve can you make two logs out of it or one log and some firewood . ;D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

biziedizie

What page is it on and under what item? I couldn't find it.
  Thanks Tom I will try that, it seems like it will work and it will save my nerves! I know this log won't role but there's always that 1% chance that it will and I won't take that risk.
  I will attack this little b****r in the am and I will let you guys know how it goes.
  Thanks for the advice!

Steve

biziedizie

Yeppers I could make two logs out of it but it's 16' and 31" wide and I have plans to use it for building a deck for my cabin on the island. The grain and color of this tree are so neat looking that I want get the most out of it.

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

Forestry and Logging forum. Fla high-low wheel post. The log will follow you like a puppy.
   First, it is ridiculed;

biziedizie

Now that looks interesting, might have to build me one of those.........Glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has an a**hole buddy!

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

Uhhhhhhhh, that's NOT a good thing. ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Kevin

You could roll it on smaller logs, chock the tractor wheels and winch it.

raycon

Could go in with an alaskan mill and whittle it down to a manageable size.

Ray
Lot of stuff..

biziedizie

OK here's my idea that I'm heading out the door to try. I'm going to wrap a cable around the middle of the log about 20 times and then pull it with the tractor. I think this will act like a winch and will give me the leverage that I need. One way or another this log will be on the mill today!

Steve

Dave_Fullmer

Anybody heard from Steve tonight? ??? ???
If it aint Orange (AC that is) it won't run.

Kevin_H.

OH NO!!! :o
Time for a search party???
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

ADfields

I think he's got himself a good plan hear.   So it will roll up the grade as the cable unraps so it's not draging up the hill.   Should work great so long as the log dont turn sideways.   Wrap a line on both ends would fix that.   Good luck.
Andy

Fla._Deadheader

OK, I'll ask, WHERE'S the LOG ?????
   First, it is ridiculed;

biziedizie

Log is up and I'm proud of myself! I wrapped the cable around the log many times and pulled it with the tractor and it acted like a winch and it worked great! No stress on the tractor and no stress on me. Once it was out of the ravine I blocked the sides of the log with 4x4s and that helped it from rolling sideways. It's at the mill and I will cut it after I cut the one in front of it.
  Thanks for all the advice guys!

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

Glad ya got it done safe ;Dly, Diz
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!