iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Semi retired sawmill operator

Started by Crossroads, July 09, 2018, 10:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

This morning I finished my last shift at Georgia pacific after 23 years. Now it's time to focus on our move to Idaho and running the sawmill. Here's to the future....
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

moosehunter

Congratulations !
Idaho sounds great 
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Just Right

If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

CCCLLC

Congrats and best to you! I noticed GP's stock went down. Now I know why. 23 years, good job.

schakey

23 years,48 years old GREAT job.
My daughter lives near Victor,Id.
smiley_sun And here to a great future!!
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Magicman

Congrats on the move.  smiley_thumbsup

I have a Grandson that will start working for GP on the 23rd and he is probably just as excited to get a job as you are to start your new chapter in your life.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

KirkD

Keep us in the loop Kevin and congrats / good luck. Might see you up there one day.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Crossroads

Thank you everyone, it's definitely exciting. MM, I hope the facility he's going to is being ran better than Toledo. It used to be a great place to work, then the Koch brothers bought GP and it started to spiral. There have been 8 people in the last year who have left like myself. Before Koch took over that just didn't happen. I sure will miss a lot of people there though, but I'm just young enough to start over, so the time is now 😁

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

Yup, I watched and endured the changes that took place after AT&T had to deregulate and spin off the Bell Operating Companies in 1983.  Nothing is ever the same, but my Son, Marty, now works for what is now named AT&T but it is a completely different company.  Older employees move out and younger ones are glad to get their jobs.  Something is always better than nothing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

Yeah that basically what I said when I was told I'd me missed. I'm just a number and there will be a warm body doing my job in a week. 

ToddsPoint

Congrats.  You won the rat race!  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Magicman

Yes, there is life after working for "the man" and I predict that you will do well. 

I was "downsized" at age 51, only three years older than you.  I did carpenter work, etc. for 8 years before buying the sawmill.

Crossroads

Thank you for the encouragement, I'm going to be doing my first post Gp milling job today. Will be cutting 1x12 fir siding for a guy just down the road. Also, I went to DMV yesterday and passsed my cdl gen knowledge, air brakes and combos tests. I figure I'll get a backhoe to help do the heavy lifting while building a house in Idaho (besides I can buy one for what the excavations would cost) I'll also need rock and a way to move the backhoe, so I'm looking at 5 yard dump trucks. Between the sawmill, dump truck and backhoe, I should be able to keep beans on the table. 

Thank You Sponsors!