iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Board tags that will work inside a kiln

Started by scsmith42, July 01, 2009, 11:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

Can anybody suggest a good tagging system to use on boards that will be dried via a DH kiln?

I'd like to be able to produce a tag (via a computer) that I staple to the boards before they go into the kiln, so that I can separate different customer's boards, keep track of certain items, etc.

Offhand, I'm thinking that I'll need to generate them with a laser printer, because the ink from an ink-jet printer may run due to the humidity inside the kiln.

I'm not sure what type of material to use on the tag, and would appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks much.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Radar67

Scott, why not use different colored plastic disks? You wouldn't have to worry about humidity and could separate the orders by color. Something similar to this...

http://www.amernameplate.com/plasticdisks.htm

Or use pieces of plastic laminate, like the samples you get from the big box stores.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

OneWithWood

Scott,

I use different colors of anchor seal on one end of the board to differentiate between customers.  It is easy to apply, looks neat in the yard, and everyone can easily see if they grabbed the wrong board.  The other end of the board is color coded by species.

Remember to reserve a color for yourself.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WH_Conley

Naah, to simple.

Why is it that we overlook the easy fix?
Bill

scsmith42

I appreciate the input so far; unfortunately I probably should have been more clear with my initial request.

I need to track up to 400 different boards inside the kiln load...

What I'd like is a way to generate a bar code and associated part number on a tag that I can attach to the side of the board when milling.  I'll use a bar code scanner to assoicate the board with the proper record in a database.

Any ideas on how I can do this cost effectively?  There is a professional company that sells pre-printed tags, but the price works out to be around .20 cents each in quantities of 5000.  I'm thinking that there ought to be a way to generate these myself for less $.

Tom

Laser and ink jet printers will print bar code.  The ink isn't too stable in humidity/water but I'll bet that a shot of clear lacquer over the tag when it is attached will fix that problem.

I'd be afraid of staples, (no, not Don  :D ) but the metal ones, in the wrong place can ruin planer blades.  I think that a glue would be the best stickem.  Glue doesn't work on end grain too good, so you might have to depend on a staple there.  'Course a staple might misread as a bar on the bar code.

It's not like the label would have to withstand bad weather.  I'll bet you could get by with a regular paper label.

You might rethink bar codes though.  The readers and software can be expensive.  I'll bet you could come up with your own version of the Dewey Decimal System that would allow you to catagorize the boards sufficiently.
Is there a reason that this has to be automated?  An  ID number and someone with a notebook might be a sensible way to go.  :)

ellmoe

When I used to collect deer jaws for later aging I used aluminum tags. I'd write on the tags with pen or pencil and the idention is what I'd read. Since these tags held up in a bucket of half rotten bone and flesh I'm sure they hold up in a kiln. I don't believe they cost more than a few pennies. They were attached with a piece of twisted wire. However, they could be stapled through.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

pineywoods

Back in my working days I built a system to do exactly what you describe.  Printed bar code and serial numbers on small aluminum tags that were sticky glued on a paper form. With the proper software, just about any of the current inkjet and lazer printers will print bar code. I think we used a printronix printer that used tractor feed forms instead of flat sheets. Solves the alignment problem. Bar code scanners are readily available and cheap. There is one nasty gotcha. Bar code ain't necessarily bar code. There are at least a dozen different formats. Just make sure the printing software and the reader software are compatible.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

scsmith42

The aluminum tag comment got me to thinking... every year the Doc throws out a bunch of surplus rabies tags (out of date); only one side is stamped so I could use the other side, or even just use the numbers that are already on the tag (they all have uniques numbers on them, sequntially too!).  I probably have a few thousand already in stock...

Can't beat the price, too...

THANKS GUYS!!!

boardum

We use a mylar tag from U-line. They come by the 1000.  Staples don't rip through so it only takes one or use two for a backup. We write on them with permanent markers, which hold up well through the process.

OneWithWood

Quote from: scsmith42 on July 02, 2009, 10:44:53 PM

Surely you don't have 400 different customers for one charge?  There must be more to this story.
Are you attempting to rebuild the log after you unstack the lumber?  What are you really up to, Scott?  Inquiring minds want to know.  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

scsmith42

Quote from: OneWithWood on July 06, 2009, 12:51:15 PM
Quote from: scsmith42 on July 02, 2009, 10:44:53 PM

Surely you don't have 400 different customers for one charge?  There must be more to this story.
Are you attempting to rebuild the log after you unstack the lumber?  What are you really up to, Scott?  Inquiring minds want to know.  ;)

Robert, I'll tell all once that I know that the concept works out...  <grin>

Thank You Sponsors!