iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Will this work as simple DH kiln

Started by Downstream, December 16, 2017, 03:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

First of all let me say I have not really looked into general kiln design solar or DH.  I have bumped into a opportunity to buy a Drizair 1200 commercial/portable dehumidifier for about $300.  Says it will pull about 15 gal/day.  I also have a standard storage shed on my property about 8'x12'.  Could I put a pallet of stickered 2" slabs into this shed, put the dehumidifier into there also and use the set up for periodic drying of lumber quicker than total air dry.  Just a thought that popped into my head when I bumped into the deal.  I don't need a volume kiln but would be nice to speed up the process a little if possible.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Southside

Well - there is an active thread somewhere on here where a FF member is doing just that.  He put his kiln together using 4" rigid foam, a couple of fans, and a de-humidifier.  Has made some beautiful wood in it.  Now I just need to find it again for you. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Southside

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

pineywoods

My solar kiln has a small room de-humidifier inside. Despite some nay-sayers, I find it works good.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

starmac

Is your shed insulated, if not would the set up be trying to dehumidify the whole world?
I am just asking, as I do not know.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Downstream

Thanks for the comments so far on this.  Clearly I need to think my way through this in a little more detail.  My op was generated probably in haste thinking about the deal and not the actual process.  I did like the attached forum thread and the foam box concept has my brain clicking away.  I would prefer to have something more portable like that which I can set-up and take down as needed.   My assumption is that DH kiln dried wood will be more similar to "air dried" vs heated kiln dried.  I have only worked with air dried wood so no first hand experience with the differences between the two but do see a number of discussion about the topic so there must be something to it.  Thanks again for the feedback.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Southside

I suspect that wood species has something to do with the results.  I say that knowing how PT SYP is first dried in a vacuum with basically no stepdown process involved, and the stuff does not tear itself apart.  Having worked with a little Doug Fir - some of what was dried in that other post - I find the two similar.  I suspect that oak will probably not act quite as nicely. 

That having been said I actually was thinking I may try to duplicate this set up and see what I can do with it. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Downstream

Most of my wood that I would want to dry in the kiln is oak and walnut.  Any pine that I do is mostly for outdoor benches so not overly worried about kiln drying for that application. 

Thank You Sponsors!