iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lewis chain saw winch

Started by joe_indi, August 24, 2009, 08:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe_indi

Are the Lewis chainsaw winches useful?

I was thinking of a person going by himself to cut a couple of trees.Something like this winch might be an useful tools since the saw powerhead is used as the power.
Anybody here used them?

Joe

01crewcab

No personal experience, but I know a guy that used one for snaking cedar logs out of the brush.
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

John Woodworth

I have one I bought for a tree job but never used it but I can tell if you get ona they are well built but be sure to turn the chain oiler down, I loaned mine out to some elk hunters and at first it worked fine until all that oil saturated the saw clutch making it slip and no longer able to pull.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Kevin

I bought the portable capstan winch due to the endless amount of rope you can put in the system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFx3gaBpVmQ

beenthere

Good video of the winch. I've come real close to getting one, for those times needing to snake in a log closer to the trail, and for the occasional hung-up tree that needs some extra help.

Wasn't until the log with the yellow skidding "tip" arrived at the tree that I realized what you were pulling.  :)
Can't help it that I am slow. I kept looking for a tree to fall.

When snaking the logs through the woods, why tie the capstan so low to the anchor tree, vs not a bit higher to help skid over stumps/debris?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

The cone is designed to deflect off stumps and trees, no need to go higher.

Pulling a tree over ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbZ9q_m3E0w

olyman

i use mine to pull a tree over to where it needs to be. sometimes you have to put them right smack dab in a certain place. even if the hinge is off a mite--this puts em where they need to go. i just preload the tree with it--

sd locke

beenthere u are not alone . i was looking for a tree to fall also

firefighter

I bought one last spring ,the first time we used it we winched a tree that was caught up in no time we had it on the ground and continued to winch it to the road . the company is real good to work with also.

Thank You Sponsors!