iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chinese Chainsaws. 2nd try after 2 years

Started by Bernhard, December 23, 2009, 03:08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

I have a friend in china, which is trading with motorized forestry/garden equipment. Tomorrow (sorry, this morning) we have had discussion about the biz and he told me, that he will lay focus for sales on south and south east Asia, South America, the USA and CDN.

I told him, that asia and Sout America would be ok, but not sure about the north.

http://www.erick-enterprises.com/pro.php

I know that Stihl, Dolmar od Husky are much cheaper in the USA then in Germany.

So, would You buy such a chinese saw?

Yes, I have asked a questions like this a 2 years ago. But a lot has changd since then and I (Erick, too) would like to hear about Your opinions.

nmurph

only if i lost the head off of my axe handle and couldn't find a suitable rock for a replacement.

zopi

Everything on that page is a blatant ripoff of a  a Stihl product..and since most of Stihl's domestic equipment is made by my neighbors right here in Virginia Beach..you can send all of it right back to China for all of me..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

redpowerd

the saws dont look too much like stihl, more like jonsered. personally, and not to be insulting, i try very hard to purchase items without the word 'CHINA' on them. they own enough of us already
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Rocky_J

As somebody who makes my living with my chainsaws, absolutely not. I buy only the best saws I can find and they only cost me 1-2 day's income. They last me for many years and pay for themselves hundreds of times over. Why would I buy a POS cheap ripoff just because it looks good? Looks do not matter, what matters is that it works right, every time, all the time, for a long time. I cannot trust a Chinese ripoff saw to make my living.

Where would you even get spare parts? Not just parts that break, but maintenance parts like air filters, sprockets, carb kits and AV mounts. And with our ethanol fuel issues, even Stihl and Husqvarna fuel components are being eaten away and need replacements.

John Mc

Chinese CS5200 vs Husky 353

5200         353
    HP          3.1          3.3
    cc           52           51.7
max pwr @ 7000        9000 RPM
  weight      11.7         11.0 lbs.

Recommended gas:oil mix is 25:1 for the Chinese saw, recommended bar & chain oil is SAE 10W-30 motor oil. Looks like they copied someone's specs from the 1960's. I wonder if it really needs 25:1 mix?

No specs on noise or vibration.

The 5900 seems like quite a pig: the power of a Husky 455 (3.5 HP) but at 15.8 lbs, weighs more than Husky 390 (which at 6.5 HP is almost double the 5900's power).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

If I would buy, it would only be from a dealer who knew the chain saws well, and had parts and repair knowledge (and a good reputation).
Certainly wouldn't buy on looks. Anyone can make up ads to look pretty.

And bottom line, wouldn't buy Chinese knock-outs of other saw brands (and avoid 'made in China' wherever possible).

And I'll never buy anything but Stihl (not that other brands are not good, but Stihl has served me very well for 35 years).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Trax

Quote from: redpowerd on December 23, 2009, 08:25:10 AM
the saws dont look too much like stihl, more like jonsered. personally, and not to be insulting, i try very hard to purchase items without the word 'CHINA' on them. they own enough of us already

Click On Chainsaw in the Menu on the right side of the page you will see the Sthil & Husky copies

metalspinner

Just two weeks ago, I found out that a product I developed and manufacture now has a Chinese twin. >:(  Money has now been taken right out of my pocket.  What's the phrase? "Imitation is the sincerest form of flatery,"  or something like that?  Well, why can't China come up with their own ideas?  They have more engineers than us.  More money than us.  More people than us.

I know it's impossible to avoid purchasing non-Chinese items, but I try best to buy from an original developer.  Of course, I'm also a hypocrate because just last year I bought  a Grizzley Planer and I have a Jet engine lathe and a Honda mini van and a blah, blah, blah...

It makes me wonder why it's even worth going to work some days.  Just as soon keep all my ideas to myself. :'(

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Al_Smith

I could get on my soap box and give an oratory  about Chinese made goods but it would fall on deaf ears I'm afraid . When the smoke finally clears and people get their heads out if their behinds and realize they are only cutting their own throats then maybe we will get back to the way things should be . Until such time  the buying public will continue buying this junk,put their neighbors out of work,raise our taxes and make a bunch of greedy businessmen rich .

Now that I've got that out of the way .I do believe I have enough old saws that were the rice burning junk Chinese saws the only things available I could still have enough operating saws for about twice my lifetime,weather I'm here or not .No rice burners for Al but thank you anyway .  :)

Ironmower

Quote from: metalspinner on December 23, 2009, 01:22:09 PM
Just two weeks ago, I found out that a product I developed and manufacture now has a Chinese twin. >:(  Money has now been taken right out of my pocket.  What's the phrase? "Imitation is the sincerest form of flatery,"  or something like that?  Well, why can't China come up with their own ideas?  They have more engineers than us.  More money than us.  More people than us.

I know it's impossible to avoid purchasing non-Chinese items, but I try best to buy from an original developer.  Of course, I'm also a hypocrate because just last year I bought  a Grizzley Planer and I have a Jet engine lathe and a Honda mini van and a blah, blah, blah...

It makes me wonder why it's even worth going to work some days.  Just as soon keep all my ideas to myself. :'(

I'm sure they could, but why would they want too? Unfortunetly, that's the way things go.
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

sd locke

i agree with Al . chinese junk . my tractor made in japan . dont like it but what the heck USA dont make a tractor anymore not even a small diesel for good tractor. the only american made vehicle now that is all made in america is toyota

sd locke

redpowerd

Quote from: Trax on December 23, 2009, 01:03:14 PM
Quote from: redpowerd on December 23, 2009, 08:25:10 AM

Click On Chainsaw in the Menu on the right side of the page you will see the Sthil & Husky copies

ok i see them, not sure why i didnt the first time.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

beenthere

Quote from: sd locke on December 23, 2009, 06:48:45 PM
i agree with Al . chinese junk . my tractor made in japan . dont like it but what the heck USA dont make a tractor anymore not even a small diesel for good tractor. the only american made vehicle now that is all made in america is toyota
sd
Am guessing you don't know what you are talking about.  ;D ;D (Sorry about that guestimate)

Tell us what you do know about where tractors are made, and where small diesels are made (i.e. tell us what tractors and what size diesel is small).  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

cb6048

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 23, 2009, 02:21:16 PM
I could get on my soap box and give an oratory  about Chinese made goods but it would fall on deaf ears I'm afraid . When the smoke finally clears and people get their heads out if their behinds and realize they are only cutting their own throats then maybe we will get back to the way things should be . Until such time  the buying public will continue buying this junk,put their neighbors out of work,raise our taxes and make a bunch of greedy businessmen rich .

Now that I've got that out of the way .I do believe I have enough old saws that were the rice burning junk Chinese saws the only things available I could still have enough operating saws for about twice my lifetime,weather I'm here or not .No rice burners for Al but thank you anyway .  :)
Nicely said my good man!
when hell freezes over I'll snowmobile there too

sawguy21

I work with an OPE parts distributor and deal with the complaints about Chinese products on a daily basis. Husqvarna bought the McCulloch division from Jenn Shing or whoever and we don't have to deal with it anymore thank goodness. Now it is MTD and their DanG snow thrower and lawn mower engines. The Chinese will get their act together eventually, they want market share and American dollars, but until they do it is a crap shoot. Just remember, the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

Tractors,hmm let's see now .The last tractor made in the USA under 100 HP was done at what once was New Idea in Coldwater Ohio . It was the same machine but sold in several colors ,Oliver green,White white or MM yellow .

IH went belly up .JD doesn't make a small utility that I know of stateside and Massey is gone too from Canada . You kind of run out of choices . I mean there are only so many 8n Fords and Fergy TO 20's to go round ya know . ;)

Aha that's the problem,I see it all now .The old Fords and Fergys could be rebuilt any number of times and thus could last forever that they sold so few there was no money in it .Made them too good I guess .I bet they never make that mistake again .

beenthere

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 24, 2009, 12:59:51 AM
JD doesn't make a small utility that I know of stateside and Massey is gone too from Canada . You kind of run out of choices . I mean there are only so many 8n Fords and Fergy TO 20's to go round ya know . ;)

There is a large Deere plant in Augusta, GA
Al, I think you missed this one. :) For a few years (20 ago) the small compact utility (CUT) Deere were re-badged Yanmar's. Then in 1998 the Augusta, GA plant opened to make the 30 - 45 hp compact utility tractors (at the time had the good 3 cyl Yanmar Diesel). Then Deere started making their own smaller diesel engines in 4 cyl at facility in IA. And I think the small Deere CUT 4100 that was Yanmar was phased out about 8-10 yrs ago, and its replacement is US made.
IH was combined with JI Case and Ford (New Holland), but I don't know if any units are made in US, but think Canada (which is close enough for me  :) ).
south central Wisconsin

fishpharmer

]I will not buy a Chinese chainsaw or Chinese catfish EVER.

Aha that's the problem,I see it all now .The old Fords and Fergys could be rebuilt any number of times and thus could last forever that they sold so few there was no money in it .Made them too good I guess .I bet they never make that mistake again .

Al, I will have to agree with beenthere.  I won't argue the fact that the Japanese probably make a good tractor.  I see lots of Kubotas out there.  I am a Deere fan myself and truly believe they make the best tractors on the market.  I was wondering if you knew what the best selling tractor of all time was?  I don't mean Deere (I think JD sold more 4020's than the other models).  The best selling tractor model of all time was the Ford N Series.  Over 500,000 units were sold. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Woodwalker

In answer to the original question, No, I will not buy a chinese made saw.
Wade
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Al_Smith

Oh I was refering to tractors of say twenty yeas ago.I've been out of the loop for a while because it became so darned costly to rebuild one I gave up machinery "Jockying ". Used to buy say an 8n for a grand,re ring it and peddle it for 1600 but no more . Some of the Japanese stuff though I have to admit is not too bad .

With the saws though it totally amazes me that Stihl for example had all carbs for the 200T's made in China . More problems than you can shake a stick at but refused to acknowlege that fact like nobody would figure it out or something . Of course with their stubborn mindset they figured only the prima Donna so called "Gold level " techs could work on their products like everyone else was dumb as an axe handle .Geeze . ::)

Cut4fun

Now to be honest I wouldn't mind seeing if that 45cc redmax copy called blue max 45cc was any good. It cost $99-$129 and would be a replacement to the $99-$149 clam shell poulans the big stores sale now days. Now if it was the old clam shell poulans like the 220 260 no problem. But theses new 33cc-42cc are set to burn up from the factory with the cat and epa carb settings.

The redmax I think is close to $300 and made in Japan. Bluemax $99-$129 and made in China.

If they were any good I think it would be a decent homeowner saw for little use if they run and hold up like the redmax.

01crewcab

Went out yesterday to buy a new recliner at Costco. They had two models by Lane there. One made in the USA, the other in China. The Chinese model actually looked a little better. I bought the USA one for over a hundred dollars more ;). Chinese chainsaw? I don't think so!
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

Ironmower

Quote from: fishpharmer on December 24, 2009, 06:54:08 AM
]I will not buy a Chinese chainsaw or Chinese catfish EVER.

Al, I will have to agree with beenthere.  I won't argue the fact that the Japanese probably make a good tractor.  I see lots of Kubotas out there.  I am a Deere fan myself and truly believe they make the best tractors on the market.  I was wondering if you knew what the best selling tractor of all time was?  I don't mean Deere (I think JD sold more 4020's than the other models).  The best selling tractor model of all time was the Ford N Series.  Over 500,000 units were sold. 
John Deere must think they are all right, or they wouldn't plaster their name all over those Yanmars. The only thing you'll find completely American made is our s^%#!
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

ahlkey

My father inlaw has used two of these Blue Max 18" - 45 CC chainsaws for the last two years with no problems.  Likewise, he just picked up a third one for $99 dollars.  All he does is hardwood firewood that he sells (50 face cords a year).  I advised him against these Blue Max models as I own Dolmar and Husky saws, but at the moment he is all smiles at how well his saws are working.

Al_Smith

The only thing you'll find completely American made is our s^%#!
[/quote] Oh I know,I'm just venting . ;) It's pretty bad when the domestic content of a Honda Accord is much greater than a Lincoln .Actually it kind of sucks . :(

Cut4fun

Quote from: ahlkey on December 26, 2009, 02:02:12 PM

My father inlaw has used two of these Blue Max 18" - 45 CC chainsaws for the last two years with no problems.  Likewise, he just picked up a third one for $99 dollars.  All he does is hardwood firewood that he sells (50 face cords a year).  I advised him against these Blue Max models as I own Dolmar and Husky saws, but at the moment he is all smiles at how well his saws are working.

Well thats good to hear. I even heard the Chinese Ryobi copy of Redmax 400 has the Japan made cylinder on it, so maybe the Blue max is using the Redmax cylinders on its Blue max. Let me know if you ever look at the cylinder and find out.

rebocardo

If I want a cheap knock off piece of junk I will buy a Poulan (or worse a homelite) at Home Depot first.

imho, The only real market for them is at Walmart.   ;)

John Woodworth

Not only no, Hell no, I'm sick and tired of the Chinese steeling technology and them marketing it as a product with no quality control and a cheap price. It's too bad that incoming products to the US don't have to meet the standards of our products shipped abroad.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Kansas

Some people will always buy the cheapest of anything especially if that isn't how they make their living. Rebocardo just nailed it where these saws would sell. And once Walmart started selling them the cheapest, you would probably see one of the big box stores carrying them too. And Amazon. Maybe they already do, I never pay any attention, if for no other reason than service. I drive 50 miles one way to a shop that sells Stihl, Efco, Johnsered, and I believe Dolmar. They have parts for them all. They fix them right there. My guess is the overwhelming majority of saws sold are to people that use them a few times a year and will shop on price.

Cut4fun

You guys got to remember the people buying these cheap saws are not worried about parts for a $99-$129 chainsaw or getting from a dealer that shop rate is higher then cost of the saw.
For the price of a part to fix a name brand saw, they toss the cheap saw and buy another. Not rocket science to figure it out.

Rocky_J

And I guess that an internet forum dedicated to chainsaws isn't the place to get positive feedback on cheap throw away saws.  8)

Cut4fun

Quote from: Rocky_J on December 27, 2009, 08:16:45 AM
And I guess that an internet forum dedicated to chainsaws isn't the place to get positive feedback on cheap throw away saws.  8)

Bingo  :D 8) crow_smiley sail_smiley smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_hillbilly_tub_base smile_banjoman smiley_clapping smiley_fiddler smiley_applause smiley_horserider

Just because they were there.  ;)

Kansas

Getting honest feedback in business is far more important than getting positive feedback. He got some honest feedback. We may have all just contributed to Walmart getting in the chainsaw business.

thumper

id be willing to try a few models out F.O.C.!  ill let you know what i think after one week lol.. how much is shipping from china? hey there still is a little diffrence between chinese and japanese.  japanese make some of the highest horsepower engines (closest tolerences) out there from the famous gm duramax diesel to a common top brand atv/motorcycle.  all i can think that china makes is fireworks!     hey guys those bluegrass emoticons are awesome!
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

windthrown

My view is that Chicom chainsaws are pure crap. Plain and simple. Until they get better tolerances and build quality (if that is even possible in China) they will continue to be crap. Japan in the 60s and now was and is a completely different manufacturing model than China. Even cheaper saws will be stamped out of India. Fortunately the EPA is getting VERY serious about coming down hard on illegal imports of Chicom chainsaws. Unfortunately the EPA is also eliminating some very good chainsaws in productin by other makers. Prime examples being the Stihl 361 and the Husky 372. The 361 has already been repalced with the 362, and the 372 is going to be replaced with another clean EPA model this year. That will make for three types of 372s out there I guess. I do not understand why they do not roll their model numbers???

Anyway, China made chainsaws? I will likely never own one. India will have Chinese knock-off saws. Knock-offs of the knock-offs. 
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

weimedog

Quote from: Bernhard on December 23, 2009, 03:08:19 AM
So, would You buy such a chinese saw?

Yes, I have asked a questions like this a 2 years ago. But a lot has changd since then and I (Erick, too) would like to hear about Your opinions.

No.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

timberfaller390

I would not buy one of these saws simply because they are obvious knockoffs of leading saw manufacturers designs. I don't care where they were made, I can't stand outright piracy like this. Think back to some of the northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company vs. logrite threads. It boils down to if they want to make a cheap throw away saw then by all means go ahead. Just don't steal someone else's design
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Ed

I'll give up my Stihls, Huskys & J-reds when you pry my cold dead fingers from them.

Ed

windthrown

Quote from: Ed on January 03, 2010, 10:51:09 PM
I'll give up my Stihls, Huskys & J-reds when you pry my cold dead fingers from them.

Ed

Ah com'mon man! The Chinese make good beer. Why not try a Tsing Tao chainsaw? Good for at least one tank of gas!  :D

I am keeping my Stihls myself. I plan on being buried with my favorite 361. So I am not even letting go when I am cold and dead!  ;D

cheyenne

When will people stop buying cheap copy cat junk & support the U.S. of A. smiley_old_guy......Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

windthrown

Quote from: cheyenne on January 05, 2010, 09:07:39 PM
When will people stop buying cheap copy cat junk & support the U.S. of A. smiley_old_guy......Cheyenne

When they close Wal*Mart, Fry's and Harbor Freight?

rebocardo

Rocky nailed it  :D

I stopped doing northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company for most of my purchases after finding out what they were doing. BUT, I just wanted to point out that Harbor Freight does have a decent amount of tools made in the USA. Just not the price leaders.

> contributed to Walmart getting in the chainsaw business

If you watch Craigslist, they are trying to sell these new on there. I think someone is using CL as a test market.

Thank You Sponsors!