iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

exhaust brake

Started by EricR, April 04, 2014, 08:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricR

I was wondering if anyone on here runs an exhaust brake on their 1 ton.  If so do you think it would be beneficial on a dual wheel 1 ton pulling a 7 ton gooseneck or is it not really heavy enough to bother? 

justincase

I have driven a late model dodge 1 ton with factory engine brake pulling 15000lbs and the hold back power of the engine brake on hills was impressive.

sawguy21

Gas or diesel? A diesel will benefit from an exhaust retarder, don't try it with a gasser. You will lift the heads off.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

hardtailjohn

Any time you don't have to use your service brakes and can keep them in reserve is good. I too, have driven a Dodge with the exhaust brake and it did a pretty good job!  There is a guy in Canada that has build basically a Jacobs style brake for the 12 valve Cummins, and he's claiming it'll be available in a year or two....we'll see. If it is, I want one!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

redprospector

I had a PacBrake on my 98 Dodge/Cummins. As far as I'm concerned it is an essential piece of equipment on my trucks. I bought a 2005 Dodge/Cummins last October, it didn't have an exhaust brake on it. I didn't have it a month before I spent the money on a new PacBrake. The new ones are way better than the old vacuum actuated models, they are really impressive.
I don't think you can have too light a load to use one. I use mine when I'm not pulling a trailer.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

snowstorm

all the newer diesel pickups come with it.

Jhenderson

I tow a 9 ton gooseneck dump with an 04. Ram. It's got a Jacobs exhaust brake. I wouldn't be without it. If I did it again I would go with a PAC Brake. More retarding power down low, and no troublesome vacuum pump.

snowstorm

putting one on a cummins is fine. ford ih and jake said no on the fords. the reason be is they have hydraulic lifters and with to much back pressure it could over power them. then pistons hit the valves

Maine logger88

If you have a duramax or Cummins with a vvt turbo you can have a tune made using efi live that gives you a exhaust break and they work well
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Dave Shepard

I have a 99' Cummins 24v with a factory 60 psi Jake. It works great. 125k on front brakes, 168k on rears and counting.

I've heard the new vvt brakes on the Cummins are even better.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Southside

I have the turbo brake on my '06 D-Max, and my truck usually grosses at 26K - the brake is amazing, I would not want to be without out it.  Truck has 360K on it now, I replaced the OEM brakes at 275K, so that function is priceless.  If my trailer is empty it will bring the truck to a stop without ever touching the brakes.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Maine logger88

Man 360k that's awesome! Original injectors? I've got 240k on my 06 lbz I'm trying to take good care of this one I wanna see 500k!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

EricR

Quote from: Southside logger on April 05, 2014, 10:48:09 PM
I have the turbo brake on my '06 D-Max, and my truck usually grosses at 26K - the brake is amazing, I would not want to be without out it.  Truck has 360K on it now, I replaced the OEM brakes at 275K, so that function is priceless.  If my trailer is empty it will bring the truck to a stop without ever touching the brakes.

do you tow this on  a regular basis?  Im trying to decide if I would be happy replacing my 22,000 gvw international dump  (5 ton payload)  with a 1 ton and 7 ton gooseneck dump. 

Southside

Maine, yes original injectors, and wheel bearings too.  Eric, probably 90% if not more of those miles are towing a gooseneck, I bought it for that purpose.  A 7 ton gooseneck would be no problem with these trucks. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

cutter88

my 08 dodge diesel came stock with one and I think it works awesome I haul my dump trailer with six face cord in it and my tri axle float all the time ive put 106000 km on my truck still has original break pads the only thing im told putting an add on exaust on an older truck can be hard on exaust manifold gaskets because there not designed to have an exaust break, but in my opionin ide do it lol
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

redprospector

Quote from: EricR on April 06, 2014, 08:43:10 AM
do you tow this on  a regular basis?  Im trying to decide if I would be happy replacing my 22,000 gvw international dump  (5 ton payload)  with a 1 ton and 7 ton gooseneck dump.
If your payload is only 5 tons, and you don't mind backing a trailer, you'd probably do fine with a 14K trailer. I bet you'd wind up missing the old International though.  ;)
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

EricR

Quote from: redprospector on April 06, 2014, 10:51:05 PM
Quote from: EricR on April 06, 2014, 08:43:10 AM
If your payload is only 5 tons, and you don't mind backing a trailer, you'd probably do fine with a 14K trailer. I bet you'd wind up missing the old International though.  ;)
[/quote
I cant afford to replace it at the current moment but when I do I don't think ill miss it that much.  Its a lo pro so  my front axle is about 5 inches off the ground and has fairly long wheelbase.  Lets just the muffler has been replaced a few times since I've owned it.  Don't get me wrong its a great little truck, but designed to stay on pavement, not in the woods

EricR

I know that a dump trailer also isn't the best solution if I want to get into the woods with it, but I kind of look at it as an upgrade as well as downsizing to have one newer reliable vehicle instead of my current "Kentucky trucks" as they were called in another post.  I now tow a 7 ton bumper pull for my equipment with my international which puts me in CDL range which I don't have, and am trying to avoid getting one so this would get me legal again

snowstorm

Quote from: EricR on April 07, 2014, 08:56:22 AM
I know that a dump trailer also isn't the best solution if I want to get into the woods with it, but I kind of look at it as an upgrade as well as downsizing to have one newer reliable vehicle instead of my current "Kentucky trucks" as they were called in another post.  I now tow a 7 ton bumper pull for my equipment with my international which puts me in CDL range which I don't have, and am trying to avoid getting one so this would get me legal again
you will still be in cdl range

EricR

I wont be buying a new truck.  From what is see the early 2000's gmc's  can be found with a 12,000 lb gvw so with a 14000 gvw trailer I should be fine says the DOT cop I called. 

Thank You Sponsors!