iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Exhaust

Started by Peter Drouin, October 25, 2015, 07:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I'm going to run the exhaust from my two cats out of the building. And I was told I had to increase the ID of the  exhaust pipe from the muffler. Is that true?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

Unless you are using a vac, I would think so.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

dgdrls

do your cats know about this plan??  :D

No really what are you exhausting?

Dan

stihltoomany

Yes. How much depends on how far you have to go. Running the same size pipe will increase back pressure. I assume you are talking Cat diesels. You will also recoup some of that exhaust heat for the cool months.
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

Peter Drouin

Quote from: stihltoomany on October 25, 2015, 08:17:58 PM
Yes. How much depends on how far you have to go. Running the same size pipe will increase back pressure. I assume you are talking Cat diesels. You will also recoup some of that exhaust heat for the cool months.

About 20' with the mill and 12' with the edger.
Can I just go 2" to 3 " bigger pipe for the whole run?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

SawyerBrown

Many manufacturers use most of the engine's backpressure limit with mufflers that get the most sound attenuation ... but that doesn't mean all.  If that happens to be the case here, you'll have to be careful not to add much backpressure or you'll suffer some power loss.  So the answer isn't as simple as just increasing the pipe diameter, because any pipe (especially one that long) will add some restriction.

That said, unless you want to get into calculating backpressure in your proposed system (difficult since you won't know much of the needed data), over-size as much as you can, keep the runs as straight as possible and avoid sharp 90-deg bends. 
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Peter Drouin

Thanks for the info SawerBrown, Sound is not the problem it's the exhaust. There will be a 90° on each, or maybe a 45 will work. I was thinking of car hose, Like is used in a garage.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Brucer

Some general guidelines for ductwork elbows.
- large radius is better than small radius.
- 45° elbows are better than 90° elbows.
- smooth curves are better than segmented curves.

And in general, smooth ductwork is better than rough ductwork.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

stihltoomany

You will have to have some steel pipe until the exhaust cools down enough not to melt rubber hose. you will be under load, much more heat. If exhaust is 2" I would run 4" pipe for sure on the long run. No science here just seat of the pants engineering.
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

Kbeitz

Instead of elbows use sweaps...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

OntarioAl

A couple of thoughts.
1/ A 3" pipe has better than double the volume of a 2" pipe/
2/Whether it exits horizontal or vertical  provision must be made to keep water and other things (bees. wasps, birds) out.
3/ Depending on the length of the exhaust pipe and its thickness you may or may not develop a harmonic noise that can be to say the lest aggravating.
Years ago when I was supervising Koehring shortwood harvesters we had an elaborate heat recovery system (foisted on us from above) connected to our 25KW Cat for winter operations (in our mobile shop). In short the generator only ran at capacity when we plugged the five machines for the weekend (4000 watt heater load for each machine) so heat recovery when the shop was occupied was minimal.  The piping  did set up a harmonic hum that was cured when We collectively disconnected the system.
Al
Al Raman

Peter Drouin

So what do you all think will it work?

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Chuck White

Looks good Pete.

The only thing I might have done differently would have been two 45° elbows instead of one 90°, but I believe it'll work either way!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Chuck White on January 11, 2016, 08:43:12 PM
Looks good Pete.

The only thing I might have done differently would have been two 45° elbows instead of one 90°, but I believe it'll work either way!

I did think of that. Went with a 3" pipe, the muffler is 2¼".
A&P saw Mill LLC.

r.man

Looks good, if you do experience power loss you could either switch to two 45s or remove the original narrow restriction at the top of the muffler. Either should relive some back pressure. If you are really unlucky you might have to do both but my inclination would have been to do exactly what you did first and see if it works. KISS all the way.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

OntarioAl

Looks good.
I agree with r.man.
Put it to work and see what happens when you load the diesel up.
Al
Al Raman

snowstorm

big trucks would use a 4 or 5" pipe. most are 5" a diesel pickup would be 3.5"

Peter Drouin

Quote from: snowstorm on January 12, 2016, 04:39:49 PM
big trucks would use a 4 or 5" pipe. most are 5" a diesel pickup would be 3.5"

So 3" for my 3cylinder cat is good?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

kensfarm

Could be shorter if you could run it under ground?  That is a really nice shed by the way.   

Thank You Sponsors!