iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dolmar ps-5105?

Started by gman98, January 31, 2018, 07:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

Anyone have any experience with the pro series dolmars, particularly the 5105?  Been looking to pick one up.  I've heard some people seem to like them a lot, and the price is decent enough to try.  What's you guys thoughts?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

NCFarmboy

I like em a lot.  Tuned properly seldom give trouble.  I have 2-used WP 5100's, 1NOS 5100, 1-NIB Blue Makita 5000, 1-5105 to repair, 3-5100 parts or repair and a 510.  Nuf said!  5105 has an upgraded crankcase for better cooling over 5100.  5105 should have red coil limited t0 13,500 rpm's.  I check in here fairly often 1-2 times a week.  If you get it you will love it. 
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

OldJack

I bought one 3 years ago. It just keeps cutting down trees, although I should say that at my age that's not too many. It does have the catalytic muffler and the sealed carburettor.   

sawguy21

I worked for the Canadian distributor, it was our most popular model. I would stay clear of it's predecessor, the PS-5100. Too many problems.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

runmca

I've had one for about 3 years too, no problems. I've used it with 18" and 16" bars for felling and firewood.

NCFarmboy

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 31, 2018, 11:44:59 PM
I worked for the Canadian distributor, it was our most popular model. I would stay clear of it's predecessor, the PS-5100. Too many problems.

Really not fair to down the 5100.  The main problem was the 14,500 rpm's way lean out of the box.  Second poor dealer setup on new saws.  If you know how to tune a saw the 5100 is dead nuts reliable.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

ButchC

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 31, 2018, 11:44:59 PM

I was over on another forum when those came out and all a  person heard was they ran like on nitro and had to be added to any prim and proper sawyers  line up. But apparently they didn't run like that for very long,,because after all the initial hype you heard nothing.  The two that I had personal knowledge of suffered many ills.
I agree with the other comment about set ups. The local Dolmar "dealerships" changed almost as often as the weather and none of them knew as much about a saw as my wife does,and that aint much. Now we have no dealer that I am aware of,  aren't they all Makita now?
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Tin Horse

I also have a Dolmar 5105. It's been great so far. And yes they are Makita now. The only issue ( and it sounds bad) is mine when sitting unused it would pressurize and push fuel into the cylinder. You would then have to take the plug out and drain the gas, otherwise you couldn't even pull it over. I have good dealer support they offered to take it back but the guy that repairs saw figured he could fix it easily and did. Add a vent. Been perfect ever since. This saw starts on 1 pull. Dolmar didn't offer an explanation on why some had this problem or how to fix it. I tried to leave the gas cap loose and tighten it when picked up. I went through a lot of  gas this way. Never remembering the cap.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

ehp

I have ran and built a ton of 5100's and never had much trouble with them, very good saw and nice and light

Thank You Sponsors!