iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Observations of a New Sawyer

Started by SawyerTed, March 24, 2018, 03:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

I'm still a rank amateur in this saw milling business-I've owned my mill about a month. I've sawn about 6.5Mbdft in the month.  A third has been for customers.

I've learned a few things, many I learned here.  In no specific order here are some of my "learnings"....

-This Forum is invaluable
-People think logs are cheap so your lumber should be next to free.
-Some think the only reason you have a sawmill is for "fun"
-A 30"diameter log is a big log and it is heavy
-Testosterone can cloud an evaluation of how hard moving a log can be
-Logs and lumber can easily hurt you or anyone else nearby
-Don't scrimp on support tools
-Sawdust can get in unusual places
-Volunteer help is great as long as they don't make extra work
-When you buy a mill go ahead and buy quality hearing, eye and toe protection
-Don't reinvent the wheel
-There's diminishing value in running a blade too long
-Learn your market and don't be ashamed of market prices
-There's a lot of science and engineering in this business
-The laws of physics apply
-Wearing a leather or heavy canvas apron is a good idea
-14', 16' and 18' lumber is hard to offbear alone
-Manufacturer support is important especially to a rookie
-Everybody wants a couple "scrap" 2x8x12, or a "scrap" live edge slab
-"So and so" is cheaper, gives his scrap away......
-Best response when "so and so" is mentioned, "You better go see so and so and quickly"
-You WILL hit metal with a blade, either in a log or part of the sawmill or both
-Folks want to talk
-There's a lot of tire kickers out there
-Don't be afraid to follow up on a contact
-Repeat customers are groomed through good service and quality
-Get a bigger sign
-It's hard to be logger and sawyer both when you are a one man show
-Material input, processing and output around the mill is sometimes like alchemy, and every setup works different
-It is wise to establish company policy-most don't question it
-There's money in secondary processing but it takes money to set up secondary processing
-A supportive wife is invaluable
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

dgdrls

From one amateur to another I agree wholeheartedly  ;)

D

WV Sawmiller

Well said. Also remember "When you think you know it all - you don't."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Agreed!  I'm always wanting to learn something new.  Keeps me motivated.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kbeitz

I would like to here more on your opinion on one item...

There's diminishing value in running a blade too long
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

brianJ

What is secondary processing? ??? ???

SawyerTed

My limited experience tells me a dull blade leaves a ragged surface, cuts slower and is prone to making waves when hitting harder knots and grain.  So the quality of the product suffers, the longer you use the dull blade the worse the problems become.  While it hasn't happened to me yet, eventually the blade will break.  I suspect, as with other cutting blades, the dull blade generates heat which will affect blade life.  A broken blade costs more than one that just needs sharpening.

SawyerTed

Secondary processing, as I understand it, is kiln drying, planing, molding etc.  

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

porcupine

You are a quick study and quite a hustler to push through so much BF in a month. You get the Pro Sawyer of the Month award! Keep it up.
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

moodnacreek

You have learned a lot. Everything you said is true. Do you get to eat special orders? I do all the time.

Darrel

People are clueless when it comes to the amount of work involved. Especially the work that happens before you arrive and after you leave. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

WV Sawmiller

Moody,

If people are stiffing you on special orders sounds to me like you need to a bigger deposit. I don't do a lot of special orders without pay in advance especially if it is not common use stuff I can sell pretty readily to others. I do tell folks if they want to drop off their trailer ahead of time I'll accept that as collateral. Then I can load directly off the mill on to their trailer and reduce handling.

A couple came by today and bought and paid for my last white oak mantel and said he would come back some time next week to pick it up. I should just buy some more from the guy who slabbed up my big walnut as he sells them for about 1/4 what I do and he has the big Lucas slabber to cut really big stuff. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sealark37

One that slapped me in the face long ago:  "Sawmilling is just a large material handling problem, with a head saw in the middle."     Regards, Clark

SawyerTed

Quote from: moodnacreek on March 24, 2018, 08:17:03 PM
You have learned a lot. Everything you said is true. Do you get to eat special orders? I do all the time.
So far most of special orders have been brought to me.  One I did for a friend I've known 20+ years.  I told him I knew where to find him.  I won't cut special orders out of my logs unless I get 50% with the order.  I like the idea of the trailer as deposit.  Can we get a mechanics lein on a trailer?

Sawmill Man

Some of those talkers and tire kickers can turn into valued long time customers for the next 20 years lol.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

SawyerTed

You have to work with the tire kickers and talkers to build a business.  At least they are here and not down the road.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The last one puts all the others in order.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

moodnacreek

W.V, No down payments. Ben there, done that. Because they still won't come back [anytime soon] and I can't sell it to somebody else. Everything goes on sticks and is banded so I can put in in a drying pile. If it's an odd ball order it's: full payment up front, a known customer or won,t do it. I strive to own all the wood on my property and it' all for sale, that way I have nothing to keep tract of. I have some wonderful customers, have made many interesting friends. These good relationships are my only profit. Unfortunately there are so many people whose word is no good.

SawyerTed

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on March 24, 2018, 09:37:54 PM
The last one puts all the others in order.  :)
Yes Sir!  I'd never be able to do this without her!

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Jeff

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 24, 2018, 05:41:05 PM
I would like to here more on your opinion on one item...

There's diminishing value in running a blade too long

Not sure if someone that gets their blades from the junkyard would even listen.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on March 24, 2018, 09:52:17 PM

Not sure if someone that gets their blades from the junkyard would even listen.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Southside

Should add that accessories and repairs are measured in SGU's.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Moody,

If it is a problem I'd collect full payment up front and tell customer he has 1,2, 4 weeks etc. (as your policy permits) from date finished to pick it up or demurrage costs will be added or it will be considered abandoned and sold for storage costs, whichever you prefer. 

Maybe put some signs on some of your stacks of wood in the yard "Abandoned ___ (Date). Special discount applies" to make customers believe that is what will happen to their order if not picked up on time. 
Howard Green

Don P

Hydraulic oil is cheaper than emu oil :)

YellowHammer

Excellent list.  
I might add "Get Insurance and Play by the rules."

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Kbeitz

listen ... Everyone is different... Different things work for different people.
I make what I do work for me. I'm sure most people wont even think about wasting time doing what I do. I accept that. I run my blades till they give me problems then I work on them until I get them to do what I need them to do. Most people do not want to take the time to do that. I have time to waste. I accept that I'm different. Sometime I put more work into things than what they are worth. It's just me. It also does not brother me that people don't like that and that they think I'm wasting my time. I only have to keep me happy. smiley_hillbilly_tub_base
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ianab

Quote from: SawyerTed on March 24, 2018, 03:55:16 PM-Sawdust can get in unusual places

That's "Man Glitter"

That's what I tell Lil anyway. Which leads back to the last supportive wife point. 

Unless it's Port Orford Cedar, then I'm on my own. She has an allergy to it.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

starmac

The very first thing I learned is that you will have brand new best friends.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

customsawyer

It also doesn't matter how many tools and rolling stock you have you always need at least one more.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

SawyerTed

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 24, 2018, 11:33:40 PM
I listen ... Everyone is different... Different things work for different people.
I make what I do work for me. I'm sure most people wont even think about wasting time doing what I do.
Everyone IS different and has different objectives for their saw milling activity.  And everybody has different ideas about what is fun and interesting. That's what makes places like these forums such a wealth of knowledge, everyone brings a little something different.

Sandshandymanse

Hey Sawyer Ted

Well said and good job, been meaning to slow down and put my thoughts in writing...thanks for doing it for me.  Slab kickers is right...big time and everybodie wants to talk...and gauk.  Picked up a metal detector and its saved several blades.

Good sawing!

logman 219

does 6.5mbdft.  mean 6 1/5 million board feet in the first month????  my math says thats 216,thousd board a day !!!!! did i mis something???

WDH

MBF is thousand board feet.

MMBF is a million board feet.

Yes Sir, you did miss something, a M ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

Magicman

The Roman numeral for 1,000 is M.  Roman numerals do not include a million thus; MM is commonly used.  (For some reason I love that number.)   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Treehack

KB, as my teenager would say "you got mad skills."  I'd like to have even a quarter of your different.  
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

starmac

Quote from: Magicman on March 25, 2018, 10:04:11 PM
The Roman numeral for 1,000 is M.  Roman numerals do not include a million thus; MM is commonly used.  (For some reason I love that number.)   ;D
I wonder why that would be.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

samandothers

MM thanks for explaining the M and MM!

In past it kept me confused as I had in my mind the designations kilo (1000) and mega (1000000).

SawyerTed

Don't put a lumber crayon in your pocket on a hot day.....

Magicman

I use a retractable crayon holder and wear out about two per year.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

Magicman

SawyerTed

Emily says thanks!  That will help me stay out of the future doghouse

Thank You Sponsors!