iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Oak Quilting Stand

Started by Don K, January 07, 2010, 12:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don K

As I promised around Christmas time, I'm posting some pics of the gift I made my wife. It is definitely not as nice as the stuff you guys put out but I got alot of joy from making it for her. The whole story of the wood makes it special to her.

She is just learning to quilt and wanted me to build this for her. The wood came from a red oak that was destined for a burn pile from a erosion control project. I saved this tree about 3 yrs ago and sawed it up on my LT 15. It has been stacked waiting on the perfect project to come along. I ordered the plans and hardware kit and me and my stepson planed a few boards in prep for the job. I carefully selected the pieces that had good character and a sufficient amount of wormholes. (She likes wood that would not pass for high grade cabinet work.) I managed to get it finished just in time for Christmas despite a lot of OT at work. I was worried. ::) I worked midnights Christmas Eve so I slept until lunchtime. The first thing she told me was that I did not sign the piece. I promptly lifted it up and show her the inscription inside the back brace for the footrest. She was satisfied then. She hopes one day to give our grandchildren quilts that she handstitched on this stand. ;D :)

I am starting my wood shop so she expects more pieces from me. ::)

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

LeeB

What do mean not as nice. Looks great to me.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

fishpharmer

That's really nice looking.  I know she is proud. 8)
  I also know I'll not be posting pics of the quilt rack I made :-[ ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

You did a fine job Don. There will be a good many cherished quilts stretched and weaved on that quilt stand.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Very nice Don!

Patty does hand quilting also, can you point me in the direction you got the plans?

Fla._Deadheader

That looks every bit as good as others have posted . 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Dan_Shade

it looks good!

what type of joints did you use for the frame?  I never know quite what to do with corner joints like that.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

metalspinner

Don,
That is beautiful! Take a little credit, eh? :)

That design looks to be very versitile.  A solid top would make it very useful as a bedside or couch side table.  A podium or bible/book stand at church.  Maybe a nice music stand on the alter?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

Don,

You are on a roll!  New sawmill, starting a new workshop, cranking out woodworking projects, wow!  You are inspiring me to get off my duff  ;D.

You have thrown down the gauntlet with that beautiful quilting stand because we expect more beautiful projects in the future  :D. 

That oak is really nice, and you must be well satisfied to make a tree into a beautiful piece like that.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

Of course it is not as good as anything I have built, it is better. ;)   Now your wife will show off the quilting stand to her friends and all of them will want you to build something for them.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

OneWithWood

Don, you are one smart puppy, building such a nice piece for your wife before you build the workshop  :)

My poor wife is still waiting for anything on the ever growing lists of projects she would like me to do while I finish add to my woodshop.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Don K

Thank you for all the nice compliments. I am proud of it. I am in awe though of the really nice pieces you guys turn out. One day when I get setup, I want to turn out heirloom pieces that will be around long after I am dust.

Norm, I ordered the plan and hardware kit from Meisel Hardware. meiselwoodhobby.com  Plan part #W3030 and hardware kit #2038. The plans are easy to read and have full size layout patterns.

The joints are all butt joints glued, screwed, and plugged. The only design flaw I found was where the post attach to the feet. There is no side support so I told Misty she would have to be careful when dragging a quilt into a new position to top quilt. If I had it to do over again I would use a big single dovetail joint or something else equally strong.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Norm

Radar67

That is a nice piece Don. Hope to see it up close soon.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Lud

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

fishpharmer

DonK's quilt rack is even more impressive when seen up close.  Had that chance with my visit.  My picture doesn't do it justice.  Don is very humble about his woodworking skills.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Burlkraft

Looks like an awesome piece to me Don  ;)

Nice work, fine job  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

WDH

Just think about how many more racks you can build with that new LT40  ;D.  Your rack in Fish's pic is nicely adorned  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

Funny you should say that Danny. My wife had a little wimmenz get together last Sat. and there were 4 that said they would like to have one just like it. I need my shop. :-\ :(

I like the new hats. I am ordering one as soon as I get paid. It is rough being on a monthly payroll. ::)

Don

Thank You Sponsors!