iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

larger table saw, any suggestions

Started by Randy88, June 16, 2016, 06:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy88

We have three 10 inch table saws, 1.5 hp units.    I'm needing a larger table saw with a much larger motor, I've never used or been around a 12 inch or larger table saw, are they worth it for the added cost to go larger diameter than 10 inch?     

I'm thinking 5 hp single phase motor, other than that I'm open to ideas or opinions.   

I've been doing a lot of ripping two or three inch planks, usually oak, elm and some maple and I'm seriously sort on power right now.   I've always wanted a larger table saw, but we've always gotten by and taken our time.   

Was wondering if anyone had a larger table saw, what their opinion was of it, was it worth it, or too large and cumbersome and not used enough and just takes up shop space, what brands to look for, what to avoid, where to find a good used one, etc, etc.

Czech_Made

I bought cheaply old Walker Turner 10" table saw but the motor was not strong enough.  Replaced the motor with another one - 6HP from TSC, 240V - and it can ripp oak without a hickup.

But it is still only 10", I just work around it.

Larry

I have a lot of hours on a Powermatic 72 and a few hours on a Delta 12/14.  Both take 12 or 14" blades and have 5 HP or more motors.  They excel at ripping heavy stock, and breaking down sheet goods.  If I did much of this type of work I would have one in a heartbeat.  If I had a huge shop I would add one just because.  I've seen them at industrial auctions for not much money.  I would think most if not all are 3 phase which is really not a problem.

I don't like either saw for what I do for a few reasons.  The first is they take extra real estate in a small shop and are too heavy for a mobile base.  The biggest reason is the blade is probably 6 to 8" further from the front edge than the 10" saws.  This means with every cut your back bends more.  Might seem like a small issue, but try it for a few hours at a time.  Also that extra distance makes it harder see the blade to set it up for a precise cut.  The third reason is the fences seem awkward and heavier.

If you don't need the extra depth of cut you might like a Unisaw with a 5 HP motor.  In any case if your ripping, a real rip blade is a big improvement over a combination blade.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

OneWithWood

I have a Powermatic 2000, 10" blade, 5hp  single phase motor.  Using a rip blade I routinely rip 8/4 stock without issue.  Like Larry said, the right blade combined with a splitter makes a huge difference.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Randy88

The sheer size of the larger table saws is a major drawback of them and what has held me from buying one in the past, there doesn't seem to be a real easy way to move them around at all, its not like you can slide them over to a corner and leave it sit till needed, roll it out and use it and then put it back into a corner again.     

I'd checked into a larger motor on my current table saws and from the standpoint of the saw arbor, I'm not thinking it would be a good idea to even attempt it for safety reasons, I think the arbors are too light to handle much more power and the last thing I need is to have one blow up and spit a blade out or blow the arbor apart.     

We do use a ripping blade when ripping but its still not enough. 

The unisaw's, never seen one in person, are they direct drive or belt driven from the motor to the arbor?       

muggs

My unisaw is belt drive, 3 belts. I have an old Fay and Eagan 16 inch babbit bearing saw 3 hp. with a feeder on it. It will rip very fast.    Muggs

hackberry jake

I too have been looking for a higher hp table saw. I have an old cast iron saw that I might put a larger motor on, but the fence on that saw is lacking. I will mainly set it up for long runs of certain widths, so clamping a board to the top works just fine as a fence. I have been looking for a decent older powermatic to no avail. The modern t-track style fences are nice, but shouldn't be used with a feeder.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Carson-saws

the JET Pro is real nice.  Actually made by Powermatic.  Good HP, nice fence set up, real smooth saw and not unreasonable in price.  Good rating as well.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Solomon

You can rip thick planks on your band saw more easily than a table saw so ask yourself,  Do I REALLY need to lay out all that money for a 12 or 14 inch table saw "?    Do I REALLY need one.
  Now,  if you just want one and it's gonna get you all excited like my new shaper does for me,  then go git you one brother.
  I also have that Porter Cable  24"  Omni Jig with all the bells and wistles,  With four D handle routers , miniture  box/ dove tail templete and the sliding dove tail / single pass half blind templete all  the stops and bushings ect...
Bought it all five or six years ago.   Never used it, but it sure makes me happy knowing it's in that custom made walnut storage box I built for it !!!  8) >:( 8) 8) 8) 8)

Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

OneWithWood

My PM2000 came with a caster base.  If you leave off the extension table you could move it around without too much hassle.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Randy88

Solomon, what size and kind of band saw do you have?   

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Randy88

I'll pass on the 7500 dollar table saw, would be nice but its far more than I need.   

As for the grizzly saws, I've looked at them and have been thinking along those same lines as well if I can't find a good used saw for less money.   

terrifictimbersllc

I have a 10" Unisaw, 5HP 1 ph, Biesemyer 50" fence, guard and splitter.  Sometimes wish for more depth of cut but never need more power.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Carson-saws

terrifictimbersllc....Nice saw Sir.....does it have the BELDOR motor?...I think Delta was bought out by Black and Decker no to long ago...no matter...still real nice saws and the fences sounds great.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

terrifictimbersllc

Thanks, don't remember but think it's not Baldor, maybe Emerson.  I'll have a look. This one is about 1999. 

I looked, it has a Delta label on it that says made by Marathon.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

caveman

I like the Powermatic 66 table saws that I have at home and work.  There is also a 14" version available but I am not sure of the model number.  I have a couple of Unisaws at work and they are nice saws as well but the throat plate is narrower than that of the Powermatic and it is more cumbersome for me to quickly change blades.  I have not used the Sawstop saws but I understand they make a quality product that has the advantage of offering increased safety.
Caveman
Caveman

mesquite buckeye

Happy birthday ancient one. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

caveman

Thank you for the birthday greeting.  I never expected to complete 47 trips around the sun.  Had I known earlier that I was going to need my body for so long, I would have taken better care of it.
Caveman
Caveman

Just Me

I had a 12/14 like Larry mentioned, fantastic saw. Once you get one tuned they stay that way. Wish I had never sold it when I bought my slider. I currently have a unisaw and a 66 with a 5hp and the old 12/14 flat kicks their butt on heavy timbers.

The unisaw/66 saws do not stay in tune as well when running heavy stock, so if you get a chance to buy one that is complete, I don't think you will miss the space.

Thank You Sponsors!