iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this a different style English tying joint?

Started by JimXJ2000, January 30, 2016, 09:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimXJ2000

I was looking through some books the other day on tying joints and noticed that the tying joints on my barn to home project are somewhat different. 

The tie beams extend 6-8 inches out past the outside of the posts.  The top of the end of the tie is trimmed to match the slope of the roof.   Into this end a hardwood purlin connects with a small triangular mortise.  The top outer edge of this purlin is also trimmed to match the roof slope.  The roof sheathing extends several inches out past the purlin and tie end.   The barn siding fit up in between the plate and the hardwood purlin. 

The design seems to work well, as long as water doesn't get into the end grain of the tie beams.  Since the barn was 250 years old when we took it down and put it back up and none of the ends were rotted out it did seem to work.

Was this style uncommon?  I just haven't seen it sketched in any of the books that I have looked in.

Thanks.

Jim_Rogers

It maybe a style of English tying joint.

Some master framers who traveled around helping farmers could/would modify designs to fit the exact situation and location, to include the needs of the specific farmer.
This joint you show adds over hang to the roof to help shed the rain water.

It also adds relish to the tie to plate/post connection which can be a weak point of the joint. More wood is harder to split out.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!