iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

help-emergency repair options

Started by simonlow, April 09, 2018, 12:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonlow

Hello from France,  my mainline ( half- inch cable on a farmi- type tractor winch) is broken at the hook end, and a spare sleeve/wedges is on its way from the distributor.

Is a knot in the end of the mainline safe enough to keep working tomorrow ?, or is this a bad move. Thanks for any opinions.

jason.weir

Don't know about France but every hardware store in the US would have plenty of wire rope clamps on hand

I always use at least 3, with one going on backwards.  Although a quick internet search says I've been wrong and the U-Bolt side should always go on the free end of the cable - YMMV....

thecfarm

As jason said.. But I do only have a 40 hp tractor. But I would do it. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

simonlow

Thanks for the replies. I've never really trusted those clamps, which was why I was wondering if a knot would be better/ok ?

Stephen Alford

A good knot is all I have ever used.   Here are a couple pics.   Not the only way for sure .

logon

starmac

We always used a knot on the tail chain for big lines on winch trucks, I don't see why it would not work in your application.
Those clamps do work, I always used 3 of them at a time, two with he clamp part on the dead end, with the ubolt on the dead end in between the two, if yo put the 2 on with the ubolt on the dead end, it will pull out.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Southside

I put a temporary knot in the end of the mainline on my skidder a couple of years back, I don't remember exactly what happened to cause the issue - your post just reminded me that I need to fix that right one of these days.    :D  So yes, I would say it should work just fine.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

OntarioAl

Never saddle an empty horse
That's how I remember the proper way to mount the clamps
Al
Al Raman

Autocar

I would braid it my self making a eye then braid the tail end and clamp it.
Bill

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

thecfarm

I did forget to mention I do make a loop at the end and the cable is doubled and than the u bolts gets used. I put a hook in the loop.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sheepkeeper

Quote from: OntarioAl on April 09, 2018, 05:04:53 PM
Never saddle an empty horse
That's how I remember the proper way to mount the clamps
Al
I've heard it as never saddle a dead horse.
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

bitternut

Me too Sheepkeeper. Which to me means that the saddle part goes on the load end and the u-bolt goes on the tag end ( dead horse ).

mike_belben

To me it means its not a very good ditty for remembering how to set cable crimps.   I use my Googlefuey. 
Praise The Lord

teakwood

A knot will definitively hold but it's just a nasty thing. the best and easiest solution is a cable ferrule. and the best thing is, it's removable and reusable. takes less than 5 minutes 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

simonlow

Thanks everyone, knot it is for today/ longer !

Thank You Sponsors!